posted by davidt on Wednesday June 20 2007, @09:00AM
Guillaume Metayer writes:
There is a new statement from Morrissey on True To You.
The Moz answered fans questions and answered to mine (the last question about new album)!!!

Questions answered - true-to-you.net

19 June 2007

Morrissey has answered a fifth series of questions submitted by Questions And Answers participants
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • It's always so much fun to read his replies. He is a very well spoken (and written) man.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @09:21AM (#264113)
  • It's all there...the love of Marr and the praise of the bass playing. This coupled with Marr's recent restated on telly love of Morrissey leads me to conclude that they'll be back together pretty soon.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @09:23AM (#264115)
  • that would be so awesome.
    fut -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @09:31AM (#264116)
    (User #401 Info | http://www.omgmyblog.com/)
  • his clarity and style are always refreshing. "A Shower of Panic!" Perfect!
    As much as I want a new album, I woudl rather see him tour and continue to please his fans and keep whatever PR going that he has. Im a little surprised that Tehran would invite him to play, but perhaps he could open with America Is Not the World?
    MindKiller317 -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @09:32AM (#264117)
    (User #18214 Info)
  • Morrissey in Tehran, now that's a breathtaking proposition. I love Morrissey when he is ready to take on his role as citizen of the world. He sees the absurdity of borders and bullies and Bush.
    artful dodger -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @09:32AM (#264118)
    (User #13974 Info | http://www.myspace.com/wallieworld)
    and as for me, I stand with the tribe of Morrissey.
  • Mais ce n'etait vraiment rien ; p

I saw your question on TTY! Well, done!

Mozzer gave such wonderful responses. What a treat to read!
    Mel Torment -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @09:45AM (#264123)
    (User #1764 Info)
  • Within a week's time, scores of Morrissey fans on this site will declare their undying love of James Maker's "Born That Way"
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @09:50AM (#264124)
    • Re:Prediction by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 20 2007, @10:23AM
    • Re:Prediction by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 20 2007, @12:43PM
    • Re:Prediction by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 21 2007, @03:26AM
  • i love the fact that he mentions johnny and andy and absolutely says nothing about the drummer
    underplayed, but very funny

as for the rest of his responses, it seems to me that morrissey is a true contradiction. he constantly emphasizes how he "sings to the fans" and needs their response to make a concert a "great experience." Then, in private, he is aloof and shy, almost arrogant. It can't all be an act. Where is this fan loving singer when he is OFF stage? I have had one run in with Morrissey and it was uneventful and actually disheartening. I know that this may be one experience, but I have heard so many stories. Don't rip me, I am just being honest....
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @10:00AM (#264125)
  • "What do you feel when you're onstage, singing in front of your audience?

Katarina
    Croatia

'I think it's the only time in my life that I feel right about myself.
    Otherwise, I don't have any function at all as a human being....which is unfortunate! I'm not sure if I even exist offstage.'"

The Morrissey that emerges in these question-and-answer sessions (thanks Julia!) conforms so completely to my overly-romanticized image of the man, it just makes me giddy.

Here is this charming, funny, completely self-posessed, iron-willed loner. A man without a country, without a home, without a plan - he lives onstage, in the spotlight, married to the faceless crowd. As the years pass, this becomes ever more poignant.

As for singing in Israel and Iran, that would be an incredible gesture. Alarming, but beautiful.

Morrissey, my friends and I will see you soon, well-dressed and shining, ready to give as good as we get.
    Anaesthesine -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @10:06AM (#264129)
    (User #14203 Info)
    If Moz did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
    • Re:Lost by Mrs. Woolf (Score:1) Wednesday June 20 2007, @02:29PM
  • Can anyone tell me how we get Moz to Australia before the Iran Tour?

That is my dilemma!!!

Sheridan

Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @10:59AM (#264140)
  • Right on - Mozzer! We love you too here in Scandinavia (Sweden to be precise)!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @11:53AM (#264152)
  • Wait, if Morrissey doesn't really like using a computer or any other modern technology, how do we know it's reallly him answering the questions and not someone else? I'm so confused. I submitted my question but then struck with this question. Someone please help!
    liveandbreathe -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @12:20PM (#264157)
    (User #18788 Info)
  • i shouted out loud when i saw his comment about Iran! too cool

to have an invitation or offer from Iran is amazing, but i'm wary of the gov't, considering the situation with recent foreign visitors there, i hope he takes all necessary precautions, there's no rule of law in that country, so unfortunate the state of affairs since decisions made in Jimmy Carter's administration

if he wants to meet Persians or learn more about Tehran, i'd love to give him a full report
    SwinginVixenLily -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @12:27PM (#264160)
    (User #12945 Info | http://www.myspace.com/lilymatini)
    home: Alexandria; work/life: DC
  • So it's Chas Smash from Madness we've got to thank for 16 miserable years of Boz Boorer, is it? That saddens me. I've always had a soft spot for Madness.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @12:46PM (#264164)
  • I fear for the man if he goes there the last thing I need is for some grainy footage of Moz being decapitated.

Another album thats the way to go Moz.
    Mr. Blonde -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @01:49PM (#264185)
    (User #19341 Info)
    I like cheeseburgers, I really do
  • That's how long it's been since the last batch of Q & A's which materialised on 21 February 2006. It's always a thrill.

One advantage to continuing with the tour in these as far off as could be places is that Morrissey might be able to sneak about without being mobbed and soak up some more rare moments in parks feeling expansive under palms etc. He'd need to lip up and do in Rome though for us to get him back in one piece with new perspectives and new moves. It's not the worst dilemna in the world to be stuck with!
    goinghome -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @02:54PM (#264191)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • I can't beleive anyone would question Morrissey's appreciation for Andy Rourke's bass lines. They are excellent, and are sometimes entirely different melodies that work beautifully with Marr's guitars and Morrissey's voice.

Drummers are just bangers mostly, (Although Joyce is an excellent banger...see The Queen is Dead...) but a great bass player is hard to find. Especially Smiths quality greatness.

Listen again and isolate the basslines with your wide open mind. I think you'll like what you find.

-Man of Vision

Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @03:26PM (#264198)
  • I can wait for a new album if Moz plans on coming down under! Where the bloody hell are ya?
    marred -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @04:10PM (#264210)
    (User #16308 Info)
  • but refuses to play Canada because of some stupid seal hunt
    Hey Moz, wake up!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @04:35PM (#264213)
  • be on the lookout for this Q&A to be chopped up and reformed as an exclusive interview in next week's NME! :D
    suzanne -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @06:46PM (#264232)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • I love to read this stuff. It makes my day--no doubt. I like that he mentions members of the smiths.It will be weird if they re-join after all this years.I am sorry but I do not see them together.
    Morrisseyvive -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @07:19PM (#264240)
    (User #14765 Info)
  • He mentions having the notion to do an album of cover songs.

Oh, he so should.
    I've always wanted him to do a cover of standards with that most beautiful voice of his.

But pop songs would work as well.
    It'd be refreshing either way.
    dallow_bg <[email protected]> -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @08:32PM (#264251)
    (User #10559 Info | http://www.dolefulorange.com/)
    "All the people I like are those that are dead."
  • Good Q&A I think.

But sometimes I just don't understand this man:

He did a tour boycott because of animal rights but considers touring a state which has recently hanged two teenagers who were said to be gay?

Remember please that it was Morrissey himself who often made a political or moral statement out of his appearances. He cancelled a show in Germany because the venue was a FORMER slaughter-house (which he also could have taken the other way round btw).

Again: I like my Moz, but this Iran thing ... NO!
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 21 2007, @01:52AM (#264264)
  • The guy boycotts Canada over a fucking seal hunt, but wants to play in one of the most ethically warped countries on the planet? Appalling. Besides, after he plays Israel, he would likely be targeted as a hedonistic Jew loving supporter once the plane hits the tarmac.

Maybe Morrissey should spend more time trying to understand human suffering than animal suffering. It might make him seem the slightest bit informed.

He keeps getting older, but his knowledge of the world still seems to be stuck somewhere in his bedroom. Try the bottom drawer on the right.

Anonymous -- Thursday June 21 2007, @02:58AM (#264266)
  • even morrissey is knocking on kill uncle again. i dont know why, but ive always loved the album.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 21 2007, @03:36AM (#264269)
    • Re:Kill Uncle by Cashews (Score:1) Thursday June 21 2007, @05:44PM
      • Kill Uncle by Corrissey (Score:1) Thursday June 21 2007, @06:18PM
    • Re:Kill Uncle by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 21 2007, @08:32PM
  • Moz must, surely, have been joking about playing Iran. As I recall, 'anti-Islamic' art is more or less banned over there, including ALL Western popular music. That would rule him out, surely? Yusuf Islam might have a chance; Moz, no.

Has ANY Western act played Iran since 1979?? I may be completely wrong about this. Any Iranian Moz fans out there?
    Lipski's Ghost -- Thursday June 21 2007, @04:42AM (#264271)
    (User #15812 Info)
    • Re:Iran by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 21 2007, @02:47PM
    • He can't mean it by Kathleen (Score:1) Friday June 22 2007, @07:33PM
  • ... love them against people.

Jean-Paul Sartre

Morrissey puts animal rights over human rights, that is clear now.

Discuss!

Anonymous -- Thursday June 21 2007, @05:10AM (#264275)
  • I am here now and would love it if Moz came here for a concert! I think he would find it fascinating, and the locals would love him. Keep it in mind Moz!!!
    Comadre -- Thursday June 21 2007, @09:00AM (#264288)
    (User #14721 Info)
    Wielding a bicycle chain
  • Now theres a compliment to Andy Rourke if ever I saw one...

I guess he could have gotten further than 'Salford Shopping Centre' afterall.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 21 2007, @10:05AM (#264298)
  • Does it creep him out that he has "fans" who try to dress like him with cheap knock offs from Primark and quit thier cake jobs as a curator to move to Rome to be close to him.

Anonymous -- Thursday June 21 2007, @11:06AM (#264305)
  • Morrissey admits it himself that at his age one is supposed to have their "life philosophy" intact, and that he, himself, does not...

It is therefore impossible to extend Moz much in the ways of agreement and trust, as he discredits himself on virtually every topic that isn't love/love-loss/love-envy/love-starved/love-sapped/ un-love/self-love and loneliness...

The fact that in 2007 he has no education about what is going on in the world as it relates to homicidal maniacs running rich, powerful nations speaks to his admission that he is a very immature man who has yet to grow-up...

For those who will respond with "Oh, he knows Bush is a rich murderer!", like, perhaps 'artful dodger' (who lists as his influences Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnell) will...I thank you in advance for flagging yourself as an ass-faced moron... Which, is to say, you're an intellectual light-weight...

But, we'll agree that Morrissey does have an amazing voice and stage show and he puts out great records!

It's good to be back!
    dewdrop -- Thursday June 21 2007, @01:00PM (#264315)
    (User #2326 Info)
  • I just came across The Smiths The Complete Picture videoTAPE (yes) from '92, popped it in and it was the end of Shiela. Gosh, how young a man our hip-swaying, jean-wearing Moz was. "Throw your homework onto the fire!"

The next video was "Stop Me..." You know the one, the bicycling, bespectacled Moz boys on parade thru the streets of...?? He coyly looks at the camera about 10 times (are you supposed to look at the camera?! cute!) So, my question to Morrissey (besides can I have a hug) is, "Where were you all peddling to?" The street sign in the beginning shows a cross of Strangeways, Deansgate, Salford and Cheetham Hill...but not which direction the parade went. I think they peddled off to C'Hill?

And who were those young posers? Friends? Relatives? Roadies? Extras? 8-) diggin the glasses!!

I felt like posting a brief, lighthearted, feel-good Morrissey moment that I so needed. And a completely different topic. Old Videos & Moments of Brief Joy. I'm at a maxed-out stage in my life at the moment. So, he got me smiling and took me away. Briefly. Cuz just then, my Mom called me to confirm a sis-in-law has breast cancer. Heaven knows I'm miserable again. Better listen to more Morrissey.

This also goes to show I need to update my video collection. I'm thinking a nice new Oye Estaban CD.

Corrissey -- Thursday June 21 2007, @08:43PM (#264366)
    (User #18538 Info)
    Here you'll find my thoughts and I
  • Who is your favorite painter ever?

Sylvester
    Ponca City, Oklahoma, USA

I can't say. It isn't something I cared about until recent years. Now I'm completely pulled in, but I can't speak with any authority on the subject.

Sylvester's question is straight forward - a direct question requiring a direct answer i.e. the name of at least one 'favourite' painter, whether that is Vincent Van Gogh or Rolf Harris.

But as always beautiful simplicity is raised to levels of labyrinth complexity in 'Mozza World'; a complexity foreign to mere mortals who have to live in everyday reality.

Mr. Morrissey can't answer the question because he's not an 'authority on the subject'. Of course he can't answer the question, he can only exchange thoughts with chavvy mortals like me, you and Sylvester, provided he is the 'expert' on the matters for discussion.

This recalls that excruciating moment on KRoQ radio about ten years ago when HE castigated the sun kissed Californian DJ for not knowing the finer points of Victorian red brick architecture i.e. the poor bastard didn't know his Paladian cornices from his Gothic arches and was humiliated live on air for his understandable ignorance.

The presumption implicit here was that all Californians should know absolutely everything about England, in spite of the very obvious fact they don't reside there.

Instead of taking on an equal, someone with equal intellectual powers, school marm Ms. Maurice E goes for the easy target - a man who only needs a surf board and pair of flip flops to get by in life. Morrissey betrayed his snobbish and bullying instincts big time in this interview.

The trite remark above in italics betrays a breathtaking arrogance and lack of true humility!

Morrissey's head is so far up his own arse he can't even see how pompous he comes across.

Lazy Sunbather -- Friday June 22 2007, @03:18AM (#264380)
    (User #843 Info)
  • That Q&A was wonderful to read. What a treat! Brilliant choice of questions.
    Anonymous -- Friday June 22 2007, @06:27AM (#264384)
  • You should forget me
    and start your new life!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous -- Saturday June 23 2007, @05:34AM (#264497)
  • :P he didn't answer my most-important question..

i don't even know if it ever went through the server, kept getting errors and stuff, so maybe it didn't arrive, but it was a good one. :(
    Anonymous -- Saturday June 23 2007, @09:49AM (#264520)
  • I´ve checked in the internet: there really are two different covers...on the one his right hand is cupped & on the other it´s straight. The thing is, the more I looked at the pictures, the more BOTH looked strange & I can´t figure out wich one is real & wich one is artificially changed. Or do you think it was two different pictures used? That doesn´t seem likely, since the rest of the picture is identical. If I had to decide, I would think the straight version is real, his fingers look more like his fingers, but...
    Any opinions?
    Cashews -- Saturday June 23 2007, @03:12PM (#264537)
    (User #18140 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]