posted by davidt on Monday June 18 2007, @12:00PM
Coiffeur_En_Flame writes:
In this month's issue of 'The Word' magazine there is a feature on the 20 greatest vocalists of all time. Although not ranked in any particular order, Morrissey is listed among the likes of Sam Cooke, Jeff Buckley and, oddly, Bjork. Their justification for Moz's inclusion is as follows;

"Equal parts chanson vocalist, punk-rock stage monster, elegist and music hall comedian, he is absolutely unique and absolutely indispensable."

Unfortunately their website has no link to the story.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Bjork is the worst singer ever!! However, that Morrissey guy ain't bad.
    Anonymous -- Monday June 18 2007, @01:12PM (#263865)
  • Bjork can do things with her voice most people only dream of. I am not a huge fan of Bjork's music, but one always knows in an instant it is her singing as soon as you hear her voice.

There is a reason she broke away from the sugarcubes and has had a thriving career ever since. Kind of like another lead singer we know who continues to have a career after leaving his band.

Anonymous -- Monday June 18 2007, @03:06PM (#263882)
    • Re:Wrong by Strutting Rooster (Score:1) Monday June 18 2007, @03:40PM
      • You're merely displaying your ignorance by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday June 18 2007, @04:02PM
      • Re:Wrong by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday June 18 2007, @05:12PM
        • Re:Wrong by Strutting Rooster (Score:1) Tuesday June 19 2007, @03:38AM
          • Re:Wrong by mike06 (Score:1) Tuesday June 19 2007, @05:46AM
            • Re:Wrong again by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 19 2007, @07:23AM
              • Re:Wrong again by Strutting Rooster (Score:1) Tuesday June 19 2007, @03:18PM
              • Re:Wrong again by mike06 (Score:1) Wednesday June 20 2007, @05:26AM
            • Re:Wrong by Strutting Rooster (Score:1) Tuesday June 19 2007, @03:23PM
              • Re:Wrong by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 19 2007, @11:29PM
              • Re:Wrong by mike06 (Score:1) Wednesday June 20 2007, @05:34AM
              • Re:Wrong by Strutting Rooster (Score:1) Wednesday June 20 2007, @03:05PM
  • Of course these lists are just arbitrary, random exercises, but every little bit of recognition keeps a reclusive genius in the mix.

I appreciate the way they take presentation and attitude into account. Mozzer's voice is not technically perfect, but his phrasing is, and his body language is second to none. Just the way he slowly turns and tilts his head is mesmerizing.

Thanks, by the way, to whoever posted that clip on YouTube of Morrissey singing "Cosmic Dancer" in Utrecht. That is a perfect example of how Morrissey can go a thousand miles an hour while standing still.
    Anaesthesine -- Monday June 18 2007, @08:02PM (#263926)
    (User #14203 Info)
    If Moz did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
  • A one-trick pony? Maybe, but you could say that about any artist. All vocalists have their own styles and to expect anything else from them is asking a bit much. Morrissey always sounds like Morrissey, right? Should he start sounding like someone else just to be more technically gifted? Well, Bjork always sounds like Bjork.

And honestly, technical prowess does not equate good music. A good vocalist and a good songwriter do not necessarily walk hand-in-hand. Yes, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston have technically amazing voices, but their songs are terrible. Eddie Van Halen is a technically great guitarist, but I hate his music. I love Morrissey's voice, but he's off-key quite a bit. He's not a technical monster, but he's a great songwriter and his voice matches it. Same with Bjork -- her style is more unique than technically sound, but it enhances and adds character to her music.

Speaking of that, Bjork writes her own music and is constantly pushing the envelope with experimentation and by working with collaborators who can push her creatively. She's an artist, not a trained monkey who sings songs handed to her. It's not everyone's thing, I know, and it's fine if you don't like her, but find a better reason than "Bjork sucks." Good or bad, there really is nobody like her, and that's why she's on the list along with Morrissey. The way people are similarly polarized about them, they may be flip sides of the same coin.

ATLpunk -- Tuesday June 19 2007, @09:25AM (#263974)
    (User #13585 Info)
    • Re:More Bjork by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 19 2007, @10:21AM
      • Re:More Bjork by ATLpunk (Score:1) Tuesday June 19 2007, @12:07PM
        • Re:More Bjork by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 19 2007, @02:24PM
          • Re:More Bjork by ATLpunk (Score:1) Tuesday June 19 2007, @11:19PM
  • Not exactly the first words that come to my mind when I want to describe Morrissey...but then again, I don´t really seem to know, since "music-hall comedian" wouldn´t have occured to me either! :-)
    Cashews -- Wednesday June 20 2007, @03:07AM (#264074)
    (User #18140 Info)
  • Here's a scan of Moz and all the other singers that made the list - http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6189/wordbestme 3.jpg [imageshack.us]

And here's the ones that made their list of the worst singers: http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4637/wordworsto s5.jpg [imageshack.us]
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 21 2007, @05:06PM (#264349)

[ home | terms of service ]