posted by davidt on Thursday June 14 2007, @12:00PM
An anonymous person writes:
In his recently published book, Gustavo Arrelleno, author of the "Ask a Mexican" column in OC weekly (and syndicated in other publications) includes a lengthy analysis of why Mexicans love Morrisey. The book includes many of his column writings as well as new insights and analysis.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I've heard this guy on the radio and some of explanations he gives as for why mexicans possess certain cultural traits are quite accurate. On the other hand, he also gives many elaborate explanations (which he many times attributes to some historical basis that I don't buy) that just seems like he's trying too hard to justify why we embrace certain cultural traits that in reality do not promote progress for latinos.

For example, he was once asked why many latinos(mainly immigrants) do not learn the english language. He explained that that was a misconception and that most latinos, if you ask them, want to learn english but can't because many of them have very little schooling, which makes it difficult. Although this is partially true, and although I agree that learning a foreign language is quite difficult (especiall for an adult with a 3rd grade education), wanting to learn english and actually trying are two different things. We can make fun of asian and indian accents all we want but at the end of the day at least they try, whereas many latinos sadly don't even make the attempt. And before anyone tries to accuse me of being anti-latino or something lame like that, all i can say is that my opinion is based on what I have witnessed as a latino, especially from several members of my family.

It would be interesting to read his explanation on this less political topic though.
    Glory Hole -- Thursday June 14 2007, @03:21PM (#263572)
    (User #9257 Info)
    "I tried living in the real world, instead of a shell, but before I began, I was bored before I even began!"
  • He sometimes is pretty funny, but a bit over the top. It stops being funny after the first few sentences. He is knowledgeable to a certain degree, but at the end of the day, i think most of it is common sense, mixed by over-the-top humor.

I do agree with the above post as well.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 14 2007, @06:11PM (#263595)
  • I've also heard this dude on the radio....more specifically the Tom Lykis (sp?) show awhile back. He mentioned Morrissey & how Latinos love him in LA & how Morrissey has a huge Latino - Mexicano fan base in LA. I don't know much about him being from Phoenix but I've read his syndicated column before. It can be funny sometimes but it get old after a few reads. I'm sure he trolls this site frequently just like all of us.
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 14 2007, @06:27PM (#263596)
  • Why focus so much on Mexican fans?

Is there a book on.... Why he has such a big ASIAN,GERMAN,AMERICAN,CANADIAN,SWEEDISH,ITALIANO,( and so on)Fanbase?

Anonymous -- Friday June 15 2007, @01:03PM (#263684)
  • This topic always puzzled me a bit. Would anyone question why there are so many caucasian Morrissey fans?

Has anyone considered simply commending Latinos for having incredibly good taste?

Anyway, as far one "explaination" goes, (not that one is necessary, and not that one would ever be universal)... i have heard that some Latinos say that Morrissey reminds them of certain ranchera singers. The romance, the passion, the conviction in his voice... and the melancholy lyrics, provide a parallel. it's definitely an interesting point.

Completely aside from the above though, i think that one thematic arc you definitely see in traditional Latino art and music is a certain tendency towards sentimentality and the expression of raw human emotion and heartbreak... and if you can't see the same things in Morrissey's work, well...
    carlos -- Sunday June 17 2007, @05:00PM (#263818)
    (User #1308 Info | http://www.facebook.com/djceremony)
    "This world may lack style, I know..."
  • Fuck you, Nazi asshole!
    Anonymous -- Thursday June 14 2007, @08:44PM (#263605)
  • and what race are YOU???

Dont tell me you are white....

NO you are not Cause I've never herd a WHITE PERSON say WETBACK....I have only herd this from Mexicans......(UNFORTUNATELY)
    Anonymous -- Friday June 15 2007, @01:07PM (#263685)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]