posted by davidt on Tuesday June 05 2007, @11:00AM
nannyboo sends the link:

XL WEEKEND REVIEWS - Austin American Statesman

Music: No doubt, this was classic Morrissey
— Joe Gross

How do you know you're at a Morrissey show? Let us count the ways.

•Incidental music includes Sophie Tucker's "I'm Living Alone and I Like It" and T.Rex's glam-rock staple "Telegram Sam."

•Food sold at the show — in this case Saturday night at a packed Backyard — is exclusively vegetarian.

•Audience is a healthy mix of gay and straight. Audience clothing is healthy mix of black and Morrissey T-shirts. Audience hair is healthy mix of foppish, pompadoured or missing, especially if you're one of his older male fans.

•Everyone is excited to be there. Seriously, almost profoundly excited.

At 48, with his last two albums (the outta-nowhere 2004 comeback "You Are the Quarry" and last year's "Ringleader of the Tormentors") his best in 15 years, Morrissey has been given that rarest of pop gifts — a genuine third act.

One reason Morrissey's personality works so well at the cusp of 50 is that part of him was never young. Even as a twentysomething in the world-historical Britpop progenitors the Smiths, Morrissey was always this weird old biddy in love with Oscar Wilde, the New York Dolls and kitchen sink dramas stuffed inside a soft-bodied English fop.

In other words, a world-weary persona goes a lot better with actual middle age.

It doesn't hurt that while Morrissey speaks openly of his very specific influences — glam rock, '60s girl groups, rockabilly, punk's anyone-can-do-this attitude — his music is clearly far more than their sum.

He and his uniformed five-piece band opened with the Smiths' anthem "The Queen is Dead" before sailing into a dazzling array of Mozzer greatest tunes, from newish ("The First of the Gang to Die, "You Have Killed Me") to older solo smashes ("The Last of the Famous International Playboys," "Everyday is like Sunday") and Smiths classics ("Panic, "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side").

The band, led by longtime musical director Boz Borrer, emphasized the songs' sturdiness, their classic, big-chord structures that could be blown out into loud, broad-stroke rock. They even did well with more complicated material, summing up their skill set in the final songs. The proggy, seven-minute "Life is a Pigsty" faded into a piano chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" before crashing into a massive "How Soon is Now?" It was a perfect Morrissey moment — melodramatic, funny, expertly timed.

(XL is the Thursday entertainment pull-out section of the Austin-American Statesman)
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Mozzer may well speak out about his love for 1960's songstrels, but Swallowneck himself loves to speak out... about his sexual politics in local contact magazines.

One such profile advert trumpeted: "Hi I'm Swallowneck... I'm a very sexual person and I love to play naked Twister in my back parlour. My motto is: if it feels good, do it!!!"

Viva Swallowneck!!!
    MarkFromScatter -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @12:23PM (#261831)
    (User #16900 Info)
    If you don't like me, don't look at me...
  • It has been noted before; however, it bears repeating this U.S. Tour has received outstanding reviews in almost every major publication which has covered it. San Diego will undoubtedly be the exception.

All in all, I think this bodes well for the prospect of another record deal beyond a Greatest Hits CD. The band is really clicking now, and at least one of the two new songs, "All You Need Is Me," is terrific.

Personally, I hope he carries this wave of momentum into the studio and begins work on another proper album.

-Vaux
    Mozaroma2007 -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @12:23PM (#261832)
    (User #19214 Info)
  • I agree with the notion that Morrissey is on the third leg of his long, sometime great (sometimes not) career. His first leg was with the Smiths, the second his early solo work (1988-1997), and now the third leg with his last two CDs and tours. It's a great time to be a fan!
    thetexasbloke
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @10:36PM (#261926)
  • One reason Morrissey's personality works so well at the cusp of 50 is that part of him was never young. Even as a twentysomething in the world-historical Britpop progenitors the Smiths, Morrissey was always this weird old biddy in love with Oscar Wilde, the New York Dolls and kitchen sink dramas stuffed inside a soft-bodied English fop.

Yes, he's always had the taste of a middle-aged woman!
    suzanne -- Thursday June 07 2007, @08:55AM (#262201)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • I sorely wish I could see Morrissey on this tour. But I probably won't get to, being stuck in a particularly soggy and dismal part of Canada, far away from all his booked dates. Please, one Canadian tour date? One stop? It isn't 2006 anymore... how long do you plan on boycotting us? Could you not maybe play here in the name of halting the seal hunt? And I am pleading this as a fervent animal rights activist and vegetarian myself. But I'm only one fan... I am not enough to lure you here, am I. :(
    happyplants -- Thursday June 07 2007, @10:21PM (#262314)
    (User #19133 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]