posted by davidt on Tuesday June 05 2007, @11:00AM
Fingal sends the link:

Morrissey demands meatless Chastain

By RICHARD L. ELDREDGE | Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 12:33 AM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Each summer, the folks who book Chastain Park Amphitheater usually encounter a few acts who request the more formal, less distracting “no tables” policy at the chardonnay and candelabra concert venue. But Classic Chastain concert series organizers got an interesting request via former Smiths vocalist Morrissey’s artist contract rider for his scheduled July 20 gig.

The noted vegetarian and animal-rights activist has it in his contract that no meat products will be sold at Chastain at his performance. The venue routinely sells hot dogs and hamburgers at concession stands, but far more people pack their own goodies and haul them in before each performance.

According to Internet blogs on the mysterious musician, the singer doesn’t enjoy the scent of cooking meat. He is apparently so committed to animal rights that he shops for artificial leather footwear as well.

Classic Chastain rep Caren West told Buzz on Tuesday that the venue is taking the request “in stride” and that Morrissey’s management routinely works with each venue he plays to work out the request in advance.

Still, there’s no predicting what might happen if concertgoers suddenly pull Renaissance Festival-esque turkey legs from coolers during the show.

Regardless, we’re told that tickets for the show and the other concerts in the 34th annual Classic Chastain series have been brisk. (Single-ticket sales began Friday. For details: classicchastain.com.)
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Quote from this piece:
    "Still, there’s no predicting what might happen if concertgoers suddenly pull Renaissance Festival-esque turkey legs from coolers during the show"

On the contrary, what will happen is entirely predictable. Moz will storm off, and leave the innocent 99.99% of the audience shortchanged.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @12:01PM (#261820)
  • I can see him requesting extra vegetarian items added to the menu, but requesting no meat is stupid. He has to realize that not all of his fans are vegetarians. I'm sorry, I know how he is, but it just irks me when somebody, anybody, has the "you have to be just like me" attitude...
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @12:05PM (#261823)
  • Stay True to youself - As ever.
    Much Respect.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @12:10PM (#261824)
  • Filthy rancid stench rather than "scent" of cooking meat.
    Morrissey is doing the Right thing!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @12:12PM (#261826)
  • Despite his claims that he's a committed vegetarian, ol' Swallowneck loves his "meat"!

In fact, he loves to beat his meat... with curry-stained fingers on a Saturday night after a frantic few hours sampling the local "delights" of Sewersby Bridge!
    MarkFromScatter -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @12:19PM (#261830)
    (User #16900 Info)
    If you don't like me, don't look at me...
  • "Morrissey demands..." Morrissey DEMANDS - not Morrissey politely requests. These celebrities are such a joke. Does he really have a right to "demand" anything, from anyone? What if the venue said no. And even though we love his tunes and love seeing his shows, does anyone really (in the big important scheme of things) give a rats ass if Morrissey ever plays in America again? I don't. You know what I predict? Morrissey becomes so fed up that the USA the rest of the world does not completely bow down to him that he commits suicide by his 50th Birthday. You read it here first folks. This guy needs a therapist. QUICKLY (with all due respect to Morrissey, even though we all know wink-wink that he never reads these posts).
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @12:47PM (#261842)
  • This post made me hungry.
      I love the scent of fresh chop meat on a grill, not to mention a juicy steak and baked potato with sour cream.
      Moz should relax and just know even if he doesn't indulge in meat, there are plenty of people eating (and very much enjoying) his share.

Anonymous -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @01:07PM (#261849)
  • maybe morrissey feels that by allowing meat products at his shows, he is helping contribute to the meat industry (and vegetarian or not, you must admit the meat and dairy industry is pretty fucked up). i think its quite noble of him.

i myself am neither vegan nor vegetarian, but i think many people, for some reason, have too much anger and hostility towards vegetarians. This is strange to me, because what problem could anyone have with something positive like this?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @03:25PM (#261868)
    • Re:well... by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 05 2007, @04:01PM
      • Re:well... by sidious (Score:1) Tuesday June 05 2007, @09:36PM
        • Re:well... by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday June 05 2007, @10:39PM
          • Re:well... by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday June 06 2007, @09:16AM
    • Re:well... by dbowie (Score:1) Thursday June 07 2007, @01:40AM
      • Re:well... by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday June 07 2007, @03:07PM
  • ... how 'bout having someone from his crew being one or two dates in advance making sure the proper equipment is properly connected and working so the speakers aimed toward the audience and His Majesty's monitor speakers work just fine so we don't have another encore-less gig like the one in San Diego last Sunday?
    Capo -- Tuesday June 05 2007, @06:27PM (#261893)
    (User #15144 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]