posted by davidt on Saturday December 30 2006, @01:00PM
goinghome writes:
- 30: Morrissey
Ringleader of the Tormentors
Sanctuary, £11.99

"When Morrissey gets upset," said the Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr in 1985, "I think it's just because he needs a good humping."
Twenty-one years on, this flush-faced number one album – aka "Heaven Knows I'm Mischievous Now" – suggests that Morrissey has finally taken Marr's tip.
ROTT's lyrics throb with innuendo, and while it's sometimes hard to decide whether they're witty or simply alarming ("There are explosive kegs between my legs"), the voluptuousness of the strings-laden backing leaves no doubt: Moz is in the rudest of health. Michael Deacon –

The full list.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • There's no way ROTT should even be close to being on that list this year. This year was perhaps one of the lowest points in his solo carrer yet. well maybe not as bad as the Kill Uncle album but close.
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 30 2006, @01:53PM (#244858)
    • Re:Ha hahaha by Hellie (Score:1) Saturday December 30 2006, @01:57PM
    • Re:Ha hahaha by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday December 30 2006, @02:00PM
      • Re:Ha hahaha by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday January 01 2007, @03:11AM
  • Believe me, ROTT is much better than ha ha can post above and is one of those classic albums that just grows and grows. In fact, i've also had quite a few laughs and chuckles when Morrissey sings some of the lyrics.

This year, 2006, Morrissey has again provided his audiences with some of the most amazing concerts and has also helped Sanctuary to survive for as long as they have.

I was lucky to attend one concert, the highlight of the last 10 years of my life, albeit somewhat expensive (ebay) but magical.

Love to all,

Strawberry.
    Anonymous -- Sunday December 31 2006, @10:44AM (#244907)
  • ...not that he placed LAST on ONE top thirty list, but that he didn't make the top 50 in almost all major music media to 50 lists including:
    Amazon.com
    Billboard
    Dusted
    Entertainment Weekly
    Filter
    Metacritic
    Mojo
    MusicOMH
    The New York Times
    The Onion AV Club
    Pitchfork
    Playlouder
    PopMatters
    Q
    Rolling Stone
    Spin
    Stylus
    Uncut
    Wire

He barely weighed in on NME (28th) and Observer Monthly.

Those of us who panned it from the start should feel vindicated or at least know that we are not alone among those in the know
    Mmmmmm -- Sunday December 31 2006, @11:15AM (#244910)
    (User #204 Info)
  • On the Quarry tour he performed with his fly open and a flower in his crotch. On the Arsenal tour he wore diaphonous gold shirts, which he allowed the audience to rip from his torso. The liner notes to Vauxhall & I feature a pair of hands aggressively stretching the chain of a necklace on the singer's bare chest. The promo cover to "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" featured a half-naked Morrissey cavorting with a half-naked, buzz-cut, muscular man with a camera over his face. On Maladjusted he sang, in an otherwise exceptionally autobiographical effort, of "going to Soho, going to waste in the wrong arms."

Yet ROTT represents the first appearance of sex in Morrissey's recording life...?

Also "wit" is the only acceptable mode of quality writing for a pop singer, and to "alarm" would never be a conscious, deliberate idea on the part of an artist. Nor can anything ever be "alarming" to a positive effect. Apparently. I thought we were done with this?
    Anonymous -- Sunday December 31 2006, @06:42PM (#244927)
  • Morrissey should be in the top of that list. It's his best solowork so far.

What I really don't understand is the Arctic Monkeys hype?! They are nothing but a bunch of posers! Their songs are horrible and why is it that that Alex Turner guy gets away copying Paul Weller in such shameless way? From the way he looks, to the way he sings, to the way he holds his guitar?! It is ridiculous..

And the biggest problem with bands like Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs and Razorlight is that they think they have an original sound. And because the musicscene these days really lack originality, critics and the audience hypes bands like the above mentioned. Even if AM, KC and R really are not original at all - they just copy The Jam, The Smiths, The Clash and the like...

Therefore AM do NOT belong in the top of that or any other lists.. Morrissey have been in the game for over 20 years, so have the Pet Shop Boys. Both write better lyrics and have far better songs than any of those young lads with their nicely styled hair and clothes..
    mozzergirl -- Monday January 01 2007, @12:02PM (#244942)
    (User #2801 Info)
    Will you put your arms around me, I won't tell anybody

[ home | terms of service ]