posted by davidt on Tuesday December 12 2006, @01:00PM
Abrahan write:
"The U.K. in L.A. or, How to be Cary Grant" - LA Weekly
By DAVID EHRENSTEIN

excerpt: British pop star Morrissey encountered a similar phenomenon during his own nine-year L.A. residency, when “tribute” bands began springing up in the Latino community (as documented by William E. Jones in his 2004 film Is It Really So Strange?), having discovered in the lower-class British dandy a kindred spirit. Morrissey’s ultraemotional singing style, coupled with his look — particularly his pompadour hairdo — is very much in keeping with Mexican pop singing. But Mexican pop stars don’t have the special edge of melancholy regret and worldly-wise ennui that drives his L.A. Latino fan base wild. As Jones’ film notes, tough-as-nails cholos have been known to break down sobbing at “Moz” concerts.

photo used in article was the cover of "Live In Dallas"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Of course i am always proud that Moz's latino fanbase is recognized, but I don't understand why they say he is keeping up with Mexican pop music. Moz's music has a true essence. Mexican pop is just modern pop, it doesn't really have anything that special.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 12 2006, @01:26PM (#242977)
  • the link isn't working you fucking bastards!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 12 2006, @04:54PM (#243027)
  • cholos sobbing at his concerts,, hahaha whatever.. tell teddie to do his research first. this isnt the tribute to tupac concert.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday December 13 2006, @12:13PM (#243169)
  • The day I see a cholo, much less a cholo crying, at a Morrissey concert will be the day Morrissey actually makes it back to So Cal. And when is the last time a cholo had a pomp?
    roughneck951 -- Wednesday December 13 2006, @12:51PM (#243177)
    (User #17914 Info)
  • Yeah, whatevers, Ive been going to Moz LA gigs since '91 and I have no recollection of ever seeing a "cholo" crying at the gig. for that matter, even seeing a cholo at a Morrissey gig. Ive seen a lot of greasers, A LOT! but, not cholos.
    Gin N Tonic Jil -- Wednesday December 13 2006, @11:58PM (#243263)
    (User #7276 Info)
    You're not down with who I am but, look at you now you're all in my hands...tonight I'm a Rock N' Roll Star!!

[ home | terms of service ]