posted by davidt on Thursday December 07 2006, @11:00AM
Update: 12/08 17:38 GMT: The Culture Show sends a high-res version of the photo (2560x1920, 953K)
---
Rush To Danger sends the link:

Danny Robins campaigns for Morrissey for the BBC Culture Show's Living Icons poll - true-to-you.net

Television presenter and comedian Danny Robins is campaigning for Morrissey for the BBC Culture Show's Living Icons poll.

Robins traveled to Newcastle with a BBC film crew on Monday the 4th of December - the day of Morrissey's concert in that city, and the release date of the new single "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy."

During his visit to Newcastle, Robins spoke with Morrissey, and urged people to vote for Morrissey in the Living Icons poll.

Footage from the day's filming will be broadcast on The Culture Show on Saturday the 9th of December on BBC Two at 7:30 p.m.

Please click on the following link for details on how to vote for Morrissey in the Living Icons poll:

www.bbc.co.uk/arts/livingicons/vote/

Voting is open until midday (GMT) on Monday the 11th of December.

For more information on the BBC's Culture Show and the Living Icons poll, please visit www.bbc.co.uk/cultureshow/.

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • No idea who he is, but he obviously knows a thing or two...
    AHappyRocket -- Thursday December 07 2006, @11:13AM (#242094)
    (User #16874 Info)
  • The positive publicity from the icon thing will stop Moz from getting too grumpy about the lack of airplay for Boy Happy (and also help its chart performance).
    Perfect timing!
    Maurice (E)
    Anonymous -- Thursday December 07 2006, @11:28AM (#242096)
  • Wow Morrissey looks pretty well shaped. Look at that waist line. He's obviously benefited from leaving all that greasy, muggy and trafficky L.A. food behind.
    Anonymous -- Thursday December 07 2006, @01:05PM (#242114)
    • Re:Mozline by DAVIDismyHERO! (Score:1) Friday December 08 2006, @02:27AM
  • I am sure you already know this, but there is a way of voting more than once on the same machine. Just go to internet options and delete the cookies. When you refresh the page you can vote again. I know it's sad, but I just want to see the boy happy.
    jonnus -- Thursday December 07 2006, @01:49PM (#242125)
    (User #17816 Info)
  • Oh, Mr Morrissey I certainly know you have a big smile..
    So Smile!
    Awww, I bet you are tired:(
    Hang in there And I wish you The Bestest!!!!
    Hugs..
    Oh and Thank you for posting this Rush To Danger...:)
    Marisela -- Thursday December 07 2006, @02:19PM (#242130)
    (User #1865 Info)
  • ... merely a man.

I love him, but I'm not voting for him because it would spoil the fantasy I have of being his other 'alf, and nobody votes for their other 'alf. But seriously, I don't care if his votes exceed somebody else's, or if they fall short. He has proved himself to me, and, to me, that is all that matters. I'm sure some of the other "living icons" have proved themselves to their respectful audiences, but it doesn't really mean anything. I also admire quite a number of other people, but I'm not giving them scores against each other. I save that for the ones I despise. Morrissey, will you marry me?
    Anonymous -- Thursday December 07 2006, @06:11PM (#242180)
  • It would, of course, be a complete disaster if Morrissey won this Culture Show poll. He must come second - always second - this is how it must be!
    Anonymous -- Thursday December 07 2006, @07:06PM (#242189)
  • Morrissey's thought in that picture,

"Get me the fuck outta here."
    DAVIDismyHERO! -- Friday December 08 2006, @02:24AM (#242221)
    (User #17850 Info | http://myspace.com/iwonderhowlongicanmakethi)
  • can you get that badge he's wearing around anywhere? Can you order them off tinternet? I want one consarnit!
    Anonymous -- Friday December 08 2006, @08:36AM (#242306)
  • I just read this comments on the living icons message board:

"All votes are carefully monitored by our technical team and any cheating is quickly identified and dealt with. If you clear your cookies and vote again, you will be detected and subsequent votes disqualified."

"Of course cookies can be deleted, but your IP address remains the same... it's not difficult for the honest folk at the Beeb to notice when the same IP address is voting 20 times in an hour."

I hope they are wrong, or else we all have voted for nothing. But do they really control all votes? It seems quite unlikely.
    Jack the Ripper1 <[email protected]> -- Friday December 08 2006, @11:29AM (#242331)
    (User #17841 Info | http://aboutmorrissey.blogspot.com/)
  • Morrissey was actually interviewed by Danny Robins on the Culture Show, and his message to viewers was thanks so much for everything so far, truly, and he would be dazzled if he won. When Danny suggested that his words spoke to the reality in people's experience, Morrissey said that he writes as if his listeners are intellectual, rather than the stereotypical blithering idiot pop fan. He seemed pleased. Danny confessed that he was so nervous at one point in the dressing-room to be interviewing Morrissey that he emitted a quiet fart!

The three campaigners were light-heartedly shot travelling around recruiting voters. Danny put a huge banner on Tyne Bridge and admitted to being relieved he wasn't slapped with an ASBO for his troubles! He oversaw the audience queuing for the Newcastle Arena show as they obediently texted their votes, and he sat in at the sound-check, catching Morrissey in action on stage, and later again, briefly, at the show itself. He summed up Morrissey's merits as being the people's poet; the link between Oscar Wilde and Elvis Presley, the singer whose songs save young people's lives. The best news was that during the 24 hour period surveyed, Danny managed to bring in over 2000 votes for Morrissey, whereas the McCartney rep. only managed over 1000, and the Attenborough one secured less again.

Go on, the Moz!
    goinghome -- Saturday December 09 2006, @01:16PM (#242559)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • change your IP in order to register more votes.

I doubt the beatles fans are taking this seriously, and who is gonna bother registering a vote for Sir David?

That means if we can register enough votes, we can win it for Morrissey! Do it today, and get your mates to do the same! By tomorrow, he might be the 'greatest living cultural icon' for Britain!

This is just the kind of thing Moz deserves - recognition of his great cultural impact as well as his musical impact.

However, it doesn't alter the fact that he needs some new musical inspiration SOON or he faces a career as a pale imitation of himself a la David Showie.

Be warned Morrissey - no more mid-paced rock records.

broken
    Anonymous -- Sunday December 10 2006, @01:57AM (#242625)
  • of course even if the post above is correct (about the BBC monitoring your IP address) there are other ways to vote...

if you look at the FAQ's on the bbc website you can call up or text - so if you used other peoples computers to vote, and called from every phone in your village (...provided their owners wanted to vote for Moz of course... which i'm sure they will...!)
    Anonymous -- Sunday December 10 2006, @01:58AM (#242626)
  • I-con (Score:2, Informative)

The free dictionary.com defines icon as follows:

"I-CON n.
    also i·kon (î'kŏn')
    [From Greek eikôn, from eikenai, to be like, seem.]

1. An image; a representation.
    A representation or picture of a sacred or sanctified Christian personage, traditionally used and venerated in the Eastern Church.
    2. An important and enduring symbol: “Voyager will take its place … alongside such icons of airborne adventure as The Spirit of St. Louis and [the] Bell X-1” (William D. Marbach).
    3. One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol: “He is … a pop icon designed and manufactured for the video generation” (Harry F. Waters).
    4. Computer Science. A picture on a screen that represents a specific file, directory, window, option, or program."

While not detracting from the important work of the other two, especially Attenborough, the distinctive public image of Morrissey as he has actively moulded it and subsequently as others have, willingly and creatively fabricated layers of meaning about him, not just about the wares he hawks, or his hobby-horses, qualifies him more as a real living icon. He is already honoured to be a front-runner but wouldn't it be wild if he won?!
    goinghome -- Sunday December 10 2006, @04:48AM (#242636)
    (User #12673 Info)
    • Re:I-con by Anaesthesine (Score:1) Sunday December 10 2006, @10:59AM
      • Re:I-con by goinghome (Score:1) Tuesday December 12 2006, @04:01AM

[ home | terms of service ]