posted by davidt on Monday December 04 2006, @05:00AM
"I Just Want To See The Boy Happy", the fourth single off Ringleader Of The Tormentors is out now in the UK.

---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Do you guys like it?
    Belligerent Ghoul -- Monday December 04 2006, @05:22AM (#241451)
    (User #9224 Info)
    There is a light that never goes out...
  • If someone from Sanctuary is reading this, can you please sort out the digital downloads. iTunes, 7Digital and others don't have the b-sides, despite the message on True-To-You saying as much. It's bad enough going into Virgin and have them say they don't stock vinyl, so it would have been nice to find a digital download from the usual sources of Late Night Maudlin Street and Speedway. Virgin do have them, but only in WMA and the registration/security upgrade issues are a nightmare.

Peter
    uncleskinny -- Monday December 04 2006, @06:50AM (#241464)
    (User #7815 Info)
    And so I drank one, it became four, and when I fell on the floor, I drank more
  • Will someone please tell me " sweetie Pie " is a yuletide joke and not something that has been composed...? , it hasnt been composed has it?

That ' song ' is absolutley shocking.

I almost started laughing on my way home in my car having just purchased it and it wasnt a ' happy ' laugh , it was one of absolute disbelief.

It just goes from bad to worse and being the completest , i will no doubt buy future singles , but ive said it before and ill say it again , something radical needs to happen.

The covers are shite , the last album was dire...blah blah blah.
    stircrazy -- Monday December 04 2006, @08:45AM (#241474)
    (User #15593 Info)
  • I'm assuming that Sweetie Pie was produced in the following way:

Morrissey was given an instrumental track, and he wrote the vocal/lyrical line to suit.

For some reason, the instrumental track was dropped, and the vocals were given an electronic/noise backing.

I don't know who made these decisions, but a wonderful vocal track has been very poorly served, and left naked and shivering alone in the cold.

Anaesthesine -- Monday December 04 2006, @09:27AM (#241480)
    (User #14203 Info)
    If Moz did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
    • Re:Orphaned at by goinghome (Score:1) Tuesday December 05 2006, @03:42PM
  • [email protected]

tell em what you think of it....i have and it wasnt good.
    stircrazy -- Monday December 04 2006, @10:57AM (#241492)
    (User #15593 Info)
  • i quite liked it. there's an obvious klaus nomi and jobriath influence in the whole arrangement. from klaus nomi specifically song's like 'death' or 'the cold song'; and from jobriath things like 'what a pretty' and more importantly 'ecubyan'.
    best lines are definately "i'm ending my life because i've fallen in love".

lyrics:

Sweetie Pie:

Sweetie Pie
    I've fallen in love.
    And the joke is on me.
    And the sun's given up.
    I'm depending on you,
    To see I get safely to
    The port where my heart
    Is too lost to find.
    And will be there to meet you when it's your time.

Sweetie Pie
    I'm ending my life.
    Because I've fallen in love.
    And enough is enough.
    I'm depending on you
    To see I get safely to
    The port where my heart
    Is too lost to find.
    And will be there to meet you when it's your time

Sweetie Pie
    How I feel in my mind,
    And how I live in the world,
    They're oceans apart.
    I'm depending on you
    To see I get safely to
    The port where my heart
    Is too lost to find.
    And will be there to meet you when it's your time.

Oh-ho, Oh-ho, Oh-ho, Oh-ho (etc. fade to outro)
    evilfollowedtheboy -- Monday December 04 2006, @01:28PM (#241514)
    (User #17814 Info)
    • Re:sweetie-pie by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 04 2006, @03:49PM
      • Re:sweetie-pie by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 04 2006, @04:23PM
      • Re:sweetie-pie by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 04 2006, @04:39PM
    • Re:sweetie-pie by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 05 2006, @10:05AM
  • Sweetie-Pie: A Fantastic, experimental, Tony Visconti produced piece of Morrissey Greatness. Beautiful dream-like track.
    I Want the One I can't have: Much much much better than the Smiths. Great vocals. Morissey really does justice to this song. Fantastic!
    Anonymous -- Monday December 04 2006, @03:20PM (#241537)
  • I should have saved my money for the new Jay-Z album.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 04 2006, @03:29PM (#241540)
  • What do you suppose this song is about -- a father-son relationship, a friendship, a broken romance? Please enlighten me, cause I can't figure it out :)
    Anonymous -- Monday December 04 2006, @03:32PM (#241541)
  • The Smiths were great while they lasted (4 years or so) but Morrissey has been a solo-artist to his own name for nearly 20 years now. The Smiths was Morrisey - no more no less. Without Morrissey there'd be no Smiths. Morrissey is the Best solo artist these days. No competition. The Smiths RIP.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 04 2006, @03:45PM (#241544)
    • For gods sake by memphis (Score:1) Monday December 18 2006, @11:02AM
  • Moz does stick to his guns. What another fucking great single-release again!?
    Great stuff. Nice B-sides.
    Anonymous -- Monday December 04 2006, @04:26PM (#241553)
  • Images of the exquisite picture disc and gatefold vinyl are at mozblog.com

http://mozblog.com/?p=36 [mozblog.com]
    natec -- Tuesday December 05 2006, @04:22AM (#241602)
    (User #14979 Info | http://hintofsarcasm.com/)
  • I urge you all to give Morrissey two presents this year for Christmas.... firstly, help get this record into the top ten by buying both versions.... and secondly help him win the Living Icon contest...

(Ahem... you may have read this elsewhere but sorry, it's important!)

I'm sure many of you know this, but if you delete your internet cookies after you vote for Morrissey, you have the ability to vote again and subsequently as many times as you wish. All you need to do is delete the cookies after every vote.

To save time put a short cut to your cookies on your desktop along with a shortcut to the BBC site itself and just flit between the two - voting every few seconds. I've voted countless times today already.

It's cheating but the Maccas will be doing it too!

TT (Still hoarse from SECC)
    Tottenham Tom -- Tuesday December 05 2006, @06:44AM (#241619)
    (User #11165 Info)
    "I don't sound like nobody"
  • Jesse produces MOR predictable pop rock with 'Boy Happy'.

M Farrell forgets to write a tune for the dirge-like 'Sweetie Pie'.

Alain plods his way through 'I Want The One I Can't Have'.

And people still stick up for this band!

When will Morrissey replace them?

BTW, each track is saved by Morrissey's exquisite vocals, except Sweetie Pie, which is just so lacking that even Moz and Visconti combined can't redeem it.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday December 05 2006, @12:39PM (#241675)
    • Re:Oh well by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday December 05 2006, @12:55PM
  • I've already said that I wasn't overly fond of IJWTSTBH (it's passable) but my god, 'Sweetie Pie' is ace. Totally unlike anything he's ever recorded, totally and utterly mad and fabulously tuneful in it's tunelessness. Was it recorded under water? Is Kristeen Young playing the part of a Siren? Will Morrissey ever sail his boat into someone's port? (sorry about that last one).
    Those lyrics are beautiful and scan very, very well indeed. Mr Morrissey, sir, you are the greatest poet of your generation; please take a bow.
    Mozzersgirl -- Tuesday December 05 2006, @12:58PM (#241682)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • Anyone noticed that, apart from the pic-disc, each title is 'composeed' (sic) by Morrissey/Tobias or whichever co-songwriter applies in each case.

Shoddy quality control from Sanctuary/Attack.

B-sides: Sweetie-Pie - not going to get many repeated listens from me, but my Albert Hall bootleg isn't as good as the live recordings here - mine has a lighting or sound man all the way through the first few songs!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday December 06 2006, @03:58PM (#241985)
  • is this single going to be available on the u.s. itunes,and if so when?
    Anonymous -- Monday December 18 2006, @05:20PM (#243860)
  • And I have finally decided to give this track a go - I was floored to be honest - it sounds like the tunes being wrung through backwards, like some experiemental art school band, yet the lyrics and his voice are beautiful - Those lyrics could have given us another 'There is a light...' (well, almost!) but the backing is dire... I actually felt sorry for the poetry there, not being given the opportunity to fly... Then I felt more sorry that I had taken up space on my ipod... Please, Please Mozzer, re-record this!!!!

Elsie
    Anonymous -- Tuesday January 02 2007, @06:21AM (#244992)
  • Sadly, this single (CD) is now deleted....and i don't have it!!! damn
    Anonymous -- Monday January 22 2007, @10:16AM (#246830)

[ home | terms of service ]