posted by davidt on Saturday December 02 2006, @01:00PM
Shakingobscene writes:
This is running on the Press Association newswire:

Sir Paul has been named one of Britain’s top three living icons, with Sir David Attenborough and Morrissey.
The final winner will be announced on The Culture Show, which carried out the public vote, on BBC2 on December 16.
---
Smuts also sends the link:

McCartney vies for 'icon' title - BBC News

Veteran musician Sir Paul McCartney is one of three British celebrities in the running for the title of the nation's greatest living icon.
---
Peephole boy writes:
Jeremy Vine nominated Morrissey this week for The Culture Show's poll of Living British Cultural Icons.

Follow this link to vote for Morrissey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/livingicons/vote/
---
The Culture Show writes:
...the voting opens at 6.40pm (Greenwich Meantime) on Saturday 2nd December when our programme announcing the Top Three Living Icons goes to air.

Our website is www.bbc.co.uk/cultureshow You will find details of how to vote online here.

The voting carries on until Midday greenwich meantime on Monday 11th December. The winner is announced on BBC Two's "The Culture Show" on Saturday 16th December.

---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Am I right in assuming that you can vote as many times as you want? :)
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 02 2006, @01:26PM (#241275)
  • Yes. The key to this is that everybody votes and encourages as many of your friends and families to vote for Moz as well. Stuart Maconie was the most convincing in making the argument this evening as to why Moz should win overall.
    Punky -- Saturday December 02 2006, @01:28PM (#241277)
    (User #14674 Info)
  • Keep voting (Score:1, Insightful)

Vote, delete your cookies, reload the page and vote again. Any true Morrissey fan will spend the majority of their time between now and close of play doing this.
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 02 2006, @02:07PM (#241280)
    • Re:Keep voting by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday December 03 2006, @10:51AM
  • It's interesting that the top three are the people on the list that have done more for animal rights than anybody else in the public eye. I guess it's true what they say about us Brits, show us a picture of a starving human and we'll shed a tear, show us a picture of a starving animal and we'll shed a tear whilst digging deep into our wallets.
    However, I'm not sure why Attenborough made it above other candidates; I would have put money on the top three being musicians. I didn't think the nation held him so dear, or maybe Attenborough appeals to a wider audience than I give him credit for, and is iconic in the sense that the older generation place him on a pedestal ... I don't know, can anybody explain why he's an 'icon', rather than just a discerning broadcaster with a hand in great documentaries?
    Having worked in a bookshop, I know how well his BBC books sell and to what age group, but I can hardly see those people spending a large chunk of their life clamouring after him, or turning out in force to vote for him.
    McCartney is the best contender in terms of a generic British icon, in that anywhere in the world you can mention his name and he's instantly recognisable. However, all the recent press coverage of his divorce may count against him ... but such a currently high profile could also count for him. I don't know about anybody else, but whereas Morrissey will always be a Smith, Paul McCartney stopped being a Beatle a long time ago; I can't equate the artist in that band with the man I see now, either in word or deed.
    Morrissey to win by a mile ... he's more iconic than Attenborough and a thousand times more charming, beautiful, erudite, sincere and charismatic than McCartney.
    Mozzersgirl -- Saturday December 02 2006, @02:48PM (#241283)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • I just can't believe that McCartney got on that list - he just comes across as a horrible, nasty little man, who cares not one jot for other people. Did anyone see him being interviewed backstage at Live 8? He was only there because he knew if he wasn't people would go "Where's Paul McCartney?". He's a complete tosser. I absolutely love The Beatles, but that doesn't change the fact that he is an awful individual who doesn't even have charisma or any kind of personality to make up for it.
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 02 2006, @04:37PM (#241300)
  • Moz for President!!!
    (the queen is *almost* dead anyways and as for dear Charles???)
    Shame67 -- Sunday December 03 2006, @05:40AM (#241358)
    (User #16901 Info)
  • Dont forget peeps, if you are fed up removing cookies so as you can vote and vote again, there is a weird contraption called a telephone where you can register your vote. I have voted on line and 10 times on the phone. Its only 15p a call.......go on you know you want to....

09015 22 33 44 then press 3
    Anonymous -- Sunday December 03 2006, @12:50PM (#241402)
  • The only VOTE button on it was under Paul McCartney. Some sad-git has probably hacked in and changed this. I reckon that make the contest invalid!
    Anonymous -- Monday December 04 2006, @01:21PM (#241512)
  • I'm sure many of you know this, but if you delete your internet cookies after you vote for Morrissey, you have the ability to vote again and subsequently as many times as you wish. All you need to do is delete the cookies after every vote.

To save time put a short cut to your cookies on your desktop along with a shortcut to the BBC site itself and just flit between the two - voting every few seconds. I've voted countless times today already.

It's cheating but the Maccas will be doing it too!

TT (Still hoarse from SECC)
    Tottenham Tom -- Tuesday December 05 2006, @06:37AM (#241616)
    (User #11165 Info)
    "I don't sound like nobody"
  • Fully agree never understood what all the fuss was about. Lets make an effort for Moz to win this.
    hambleton -- Saturday December 02 2006, @01:15PM (#241273)
    (User #17510 Info)
    • Re:The Beatles by Shakingobscene (Score:1) Monday December 04 2006, @03:39AM
      • Re:The Beatles by Lon (Score:1) Monday December 04 2006, @04:24AM
        • Re:The Beatles by Shakingobscene (Score:1) Monday December 04 2006, @04:30AM
          • Re:The Beatles by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday December 04 2006, @04:58AM
            • Re:The Beatles by Shakingobscene (Score:1) Monday December 04 2006, @07:22AM
  • Behave yourself. Like the Smiths they were a band who defined the times. It is easy to dismiss the "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" period as catchy little pop songs but it was ground breaking at the time. Remember these songs are 40 years old. As for the later stuff, Revolver, White Album, Sgt Pepper they changed music forever.

If Lennon was still alive he would stroll they greatest living icon debate, (Although Moz would still get the nod from me).

For Lennon/Macca substitute Morrissey/Marr many years later. A partnership that for some reason just worked to produce something magical that shook a generation and left everyone else trailing in thier wake.
    Vauxhall Victor -- Saturday December 02 2006, @02:12PM (#241281)
    (User #16921 Info)
  • "The Beatles: Terribly overrated?" You terribly have no clue what you are talking about. Even Marr said he learned from the Beatles. Stop pissin on rock history.

thetexasbloke
    Anonymous -- Saturday December 02 2006, @07:52PM (#241326)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]