posted by davidt on Wednesday January 11 2006, @11:00AM
Joeydubya sends the link:

The Smiths: Complete Chord Songbook - musicroom.com

Description

Every momentous Morrissey lyric and all the music by Marr, this terrific songbook contains every song ever recorded by The Smiths!

Specially arranged in Complete Songbook format and all in the original keys, each song includes Chord symbols and guitar chord boxes with the complete lyrics. A playing guide and comprehensive discography is also included.

Click to enlarge (front/back)

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • It's a good one alright, I learned a few things I wasn't able to figure out. Highly recommended.

Sk./Peter
    uncleskinny -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @11:16AM (#191681)
    (User #7815 Info)
    And so I drank one, it became four, and when I fell on the floor, I drank more
  • Does anyone know if this will have tabs in it? If it only writes out the basic chords and the melody, it probably wouldn't be that interesting or helpful.

Of course, even if the exact notes were written out, it'd be hard to sound as good as J.Marr.
    Astroman -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @12:02PM (#191695)
    (User #8735 Info)
  • You can already get all this off the net... It's everywhere. Just type in a song title and write tabs.

I wonder how many useless lazy whiny bastard musicians actually come here, as opposed to useless lazy whiny non-musical bastards ? Hmmm.

Peace - Teeto
    Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @12:24PM (#191706)
    • Re:Oi ! by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday January 11 2006, @12:49PM
      • Re:Oi ! by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday January 11 2006, @01:00PM
  • these books are usually crap. The best way to figure out Marr is to listen, then move the needle am 1/8 of an inch back...or just use a CD. To fully appreciate how good Marr is, you need to take a look at songs like "Some Girls.." or "Headmaster.." or "William...".
    Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @01:00PM (#191714)
  • Needs to do a Guitar Video.

Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @01:39PM (#191718)
  • How is it?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @02:12PM (#191723)
  • Capo 2nd fret or tune your guitar up a whole step.
    Meat is Murder & Headmasters are in Open E tuning.

Doubt they will have any of that in there.
    Beatles Anthology does.

Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @02:53PM (#191728)
  • Smiths Songbook (Score:2, Interesting)

This particular sort of book is pretty good for campfire/party renditions, and they're a lot more accurate than they used to be.

The original piano/vocal guitar books for the albums are hopeless. The Louder than Bombs 'Off the Record' book is fantastic, and even has bass and drum scores in, and pretty much every guitar line. It's a weighty tome, as you might imagine.

Shame they've never done these for the other albums and the solo ones
    FoxyPablo -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @03:21PM (#191737)
    (User #15242 Info)
  • So having collected I believe all of the sheet music and tab books available, I'll say this is accurate in a campfire sense as someone mentioned. It doesn't have tablature, and the chord charts are not always the correct voicings. But it at least gives you a starting point for songs like Wonderful Woman which don't appear in any other sheet/tab book.

The best way to figure out Marr continues to be listening to the CD over and over. If you can get it, the "Louder Than Bombs: Off The Record" book is phenomenal and almost 100% accurate I believe. Hard to find though... picked up a couple of them on Ebay over the years. There's a Smiths "Singles" tab book that just came out too... I think the same publisher as this one we're all talking about. It's not perfect, but another good starting point. It almost nails This Charming Man... almost. ;)

Between the tab books, the listening on loop, and the practice, it was enough for us to form a cover band: This Charming Band [myspace.com]
    This Charming Ben -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @04:13PM (#191747)
    (User #12174 Info | http://www.thischarmingband.net/)
    So bona to vada...
  • I assume it was a UK only release? To see complete transcriptions for those songs (in tabulature format) would be incredible.

Anyone? Would anyone care to scan and email some of that sheet music? Please? :)
    Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @04:30PM (#191752)
  • Great book, however, my copy has a section missing, with a previous section replacing the missing section! I'm missing the chords for I Don't Owe You Anything through to which ever song is after Oscillate Wildly (I don't have the book to hand)

Never mind, I suppose

Benni
    Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @05:17PM (#191757)
  • even if you don´t know how to play guitar,it loks rather cool in your smiths collection!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @06:11PM (#191764)
  • the book cover looks really good!if there is ever going to be a definitive smiths-morrissey biography,(i mean when he retires from music bussiness)this would be a good cover!too bad it was already used for this.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday January 11 2006, @06:23PM (#191767)
  • Its at Amazon.co.uk too at £10.46 although has 4-6 week avail.
    www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0711941181
    Anonymous -- Thursday January 12 2006, @06:24AM (#191812)
  • that The Smiths were a 2 man band:Morrissey and Johnny Marr. I don't see Joyce or Rourke anywhere on the cover.
    Anonymous -- Thursday January 12 2006, @04:24PM (#191877)
  • Is a good place to go if you want decent Smiths and Morrissey tabs. Apart from the Louder than bombs book, on the whole, I find Smiths music books to be a little less than accurate.
    ohglen -- Friday January 13 2006, @03:08AM (#191900)
    (User #12046 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]