posted by davidt on Friday September 30 2005, @10:00AM
Belligerent Ghoul writes:
From UK band brings musical variety - The News Record

...Though it's not retro music per se, this British rock band's fourth album, The Invisible Invasion, makes it very clear that these guys know who the Smiths are..."So Long Ago" is a song that bears the stamp of [The Smiths'] influence. With its mopey vocals and rockabilly instrumental, it could almost pass as a long lost B-side by the Smiths. The guitar playing is competent and at times impressive, though the vocals aren't nearly as good as Morrissey's....The Coral can also be less mopey than Morrissey... The Coral's main flaw is pretension, especially as it shapes their lyrics. They want to be like the Smiths, but sometimes that excessive effort backfires...
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Their first release was excellent, second not quite as good in my opinion.

Oh, and they're northern so can't be bad.
    Anonymous -- Friday September 30 2005, @10:46AM (#180164)
  • they're like a Liverpudlian version of Dodgy. irritating music, horrible singing and really crap, cliché-ridden lyrics.
    do not waster your valuable time listening to this rubbish!
    J
    Anonymous -- Friday September 30 2005, @10:50AM (#180165)
  • That boy looks really out of place in the line-up. Alright, so he's their brother. I never liked The Corrs anyway. Too Irish for a start.
    and2rew -- Friday September 30 2005, @01:12PM (#180194)
    (User #8232 Info)
  • One of the coral is the brother of one of the streets. Didnt the streets support oasis on the last tour? I know some Liverpool band did.
    Anyway if Noel and Liam gave them the go ahead they cant be that bad and i bet you wouldnt argue with them.
    Anonymous -- Friday September 30 2005, @01:28PM (#180195)
    • Re:The Streets by Gin N Tonic Jil (Score:1) Tuesday October 04 2005, @08:43PM
  • The Dears. Anyone like them? I think they're great, although I don't know if I agree with the Blender assertion that the lead singer is the "Black Morrissey."
    veradicere -- Friday September 30 2005, @03:31PM (#180203)
    (User #8315 Info)
  • morrissey or the smiths but none of them are as good.
    irishgirlenglisheart -- Friday September 30 2005, @04:07PM (#180205)
    (User #14606 Info)
  • ...and I'll say it again; I really can't think of a band that bears less resemlance to The Smiths or Moz than The Coral.

As with the top poster here; I quite like them, first album good, second less so.

But all their influences are utterly un-Moz. Psychedelia, Beatles, Beefheart, sea-shanties, even [shudder] Pink Floyd.

Lyrically, musically, attitude...there is NO resemblance!!!

-Ben G
    Anonymous -- Friday September 30 2005, @05:13PM (#180214)
  • Sorry guys, but the Coral sound nothing at all like the Smiths. The Coral remind me of the Doors and 60's psychedelia -- "Incense and Pepperment" kind of stuff. The Smiths had some 60's pop influence, but I've never heard Morrissey sing something that sounded like it came from "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly". Not that I don't like the Coral, I just think that journalists should pin their numerous "Next Smiths" labels on bands that actually sound like them.
    ATLpunk -- Sunday October 02 2005, @08:34AM (#180301)
    (User #13585 Info)
  • I can't make my mind up about The Coral, they re good but theyre not great, I wouldn't compare them to The Smiths.
    Ive seen them live a couple of times and they put on a good show but I don't posses any of thier records.
    Besides everythink I can't remember The smiths being a skiffle band.
    Aly Panic -- Sunday October 02 2005, @10:38AM (#180308)
    (User #12194 Info | http://www.myspace.com/smileytuesdays)
  • I think that the band "Math and Physics Club" sound way more like The Smiths than the Coral could ever hope too. If you haven't heard "Math and Physics Club" check out their songs "Graduation Day" or "Weekends Away" they sound just like The Smiths. They have 2 EP's out right now and they are both worth checking out. They may sound a little TOO much like The Smiths for their own good.
    Anonymous -- Monday October 03 2005, @01:11AM (#180329)
  • They're Grrrrrt! (Score:2, Interesting)

I love em. They're a kick ass band and they got some tunes in em but, something bout Ian Skelly and his moves on stage and the way he pours his heart out to all the songs, kinda sorta maybe just a tad bit now that you mention it, does kinda remind me of Moz.
    Oh but heres a Coral/Moz story.
    Right then I got see the Coral at the Troub back in like March or May or something and Moz turns up to the gig.
    The guys find out bout it and from the backstage upstairs windows they all kept peeking out to spot Moz. Fuckers were dead nervous as they took the stage. Somewhere btween I think Skeleton Key I look up and see Moz totally into it, he was buzzing off them.
    Fucking good gig, excellent night.
    Gin N Tonic Jil -- Tuesday October 04 2005, @08:47PM (#180680)
    (User #7276 Info)
    You're not down with who I am but, look at you now you're all in my hands...tonight I'm a Rock N' Roll Star!!

[ home | terms of service ]