posted by davidt on Monday September 26 2005, @11:00AM
sweetnesss writes:
Just found this article on www.popjunkie.tv:

The best Mozza album you've never heard

Funny, sad, moving and controversial, Kill Uncle is everything a Morrissey album should be. Shame that cos of a rather silly post-Smiths backlash that so few of his legions of fans have heard it then.
---
Sean Hannam also writes:
Morrissey's Kill Uncle has been named a 'great lost album' on new music website Pop Junkie - www.popjunkie.tv

The site, which launched last week, has been designed to promote underrated and 'lost' pop records. It was started by two national journalists who were bored with the same old lists of Top 100 albums.

Other bands featured on the site, which is updated weekly, are Gene, Pet Shop Boys, Puressence and The Boo Radleys.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • mute witness king leer our frank and driving your girlfriend home are excellent tracks and should be listened to my anyone who listens to Morrissey's music
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @11:24AM (#179669)
    • Re:no doubt by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday September 26 2005, @11:58AM
    • Re:no doubt by Anonymous (Score:1) Monday September 26 2005, @12:04PM
  • Im the only one who loves 'The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye' and 'Found Found Found' ? Those songs are superb in my opinion.
    Kerki -- Monday September 26 2005, @11:45AM (#179677)
    (User #13639 Info | http://www.librarium-online.com/)
    Im sinking in the quicksand of my mind
    • Re:Kill Uncle (Score:2, Insightful)

you must be kidding, those songs are total rubbish. "found found found" is the worst song Morrissey´s ever written.
      Kill Uncle is his worst album by far, most of the songs are good but production is crap, where´s the guitars? . It could have been much better with a different sound.
      gonzax -- Monday September 26 2005, @02:40PM (#179709)
      (User #10749 Info)
      • Re:Kill Uncle by Earl Graphite (Score:1) Monday September 26 2005, @07:00PM
        • Re:Kill Uncle by kissmyshades (Score:1) Tuesday September 27 2005, @06:19AM
          • Re:Kill Uncle by Earl Graphite (Score:1) Tuesday September 27 2005, @09:12AM
            • Re:Kill Uncle by kissmyshades (Score:1) Thursday September 29 2005, @03:41AM
              • Re:Kill Uncle by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday September 29 2005, @10:07AM
              • Re:Kill Uncle by goinghome (Score:1) Thursday September 29 2005, @03:31PM
              • Re:Kill Uncle by kissmyshades (Score:1) Friday September 30 2005, @04:11AM
              • Re:Kill Uncle by goinghome (Score:1) Saturday October 01 2005, @12:30PM
        • Does it get any better? by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 27 2005, @10:16AM
      • Re:Kill Uncle by wemissumoz (Score:1) Tuesday September 27 2005, @06:55AM
    • Re:Kill Uncle by RABMOZZER (Score:1) Tuesday September 27 2005, @05:27PM
    • Re:Kill Uncle by Spineless Swine (Score:1) Wednesday September 28 2005, @05:27AM
  • I'm sorry.... Kill Uncle is not a good album. It's a couple of good songs and a couple of really really bad ones.
    That combo does not a good album make....
    everybody's lost -- Monday September 26 2005, @12:03PM (#179684)
    (User #12791 Info)
    ...a chat with you and somehow, death loses its sting.
  • Kill Uncle (Score:0, Insightful)

Kill Uncle is a festering turd.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @12:36PM (#179690)
  • Dicks (Score:2, Insightful)

Um, what Morrissey fan hasn't heard of Kill Uncle? We've heard it, and most of us don't like it. One of the "legions of fans" who have ignored the album happens to be Morrissey, since we've not heard a song from that album live since Your Arsenal came out.

Apparently, IQ tests aren't necessary to create a website...
    ATLpunk -- Monday September 26 2005, @03:21PM (#179720)
    (User #13585 Info)
  • I've always said on this site that I love Kill Uncle. Morrissey has never sounded better!
    Davey Boy -- Monday September 26 2005, @07:52PM (#179749)
    (User #508 Info)
  • is a rather average album, some nice tracks e.g. sing your life , king leer and our frank but when compared with other albums e.g. vauxhall and i and your arsenal, it clearly is not the best
    Dagenhamdavidian -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @02:06AM (#179770)
    (User #14664 Info)
  • Finally "kill uncle" gets the recognition it deserves. There two kinds of fans: those who love it and those who hate it. I belong to the first group. Enough said.
    alcoholic afternoon -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @05:17AM (#179784)
    (User #14583 Info)
    ..and when i fell on the floor i drank more...
    • Re:Finally! (Score:2, Insightful)

Well, you can have a different opinion.

In my opinion, Kill Uncle is neither "brilliant" or "crap" - so therefore I neither love or hate it. Having said that, I do have very fond memories of when he toured with this album..

As some people have pointed out above, Kill Uncle does contain some decent songs and interesting lyrics. However, songs like "Found..." etc are weak in relation to the rest of Morrissey's work. It is one of his less good albums, but that doesn't mean it should be written off as "rubbish" like some posters are keen on doing.

Alex

MozinYork -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @10:00AM (#179818)
      (User #14414 Info)
  • at least six classic songs:

Our Frank
    Sing Your Life
    King Leer
    Driving Your Girlfriend Home
    There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends
    Tony The Pony

and the production is experimental,
    not flawed.

this is a good album.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @11:17AM (#179827)
    • Wrong again. by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 27 2005, @12:03PM
    • not wrong by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 27 2005, @03:48PM
    • Sort of by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday September 28 2005, @07:46AM
      • re : sort of by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday September 28 2005, @10:54AM
  • For Best "Lost" Albums are....
    (the definition being an album that is actually supurb despite lacking critical/commercial acclaim)
    Morrissey, KILL UNCLE
    The Cure, THE TOP
    David Bowie, DIAMOND DOGS
    Love, FOREVER CHANGES
    Tori AMos, BOYS FOR PELE
    Beck, MIDNIGHT VULTURES
    Doors, THE SOFT PARADE
    Echo & The Bunnymen, PORCUPINE
    Pearl Jam, BINAURAL
    Television, ADVENTURE
    Supergrass, SUPERGRASS
    DavidBeauy <[email protected]> -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @12:42PM (#179846)
    (User #6009 Info | http://beaurock.net/)
    "When thirteen years old Who dyed his hair gold ? Oh, I know very well, I don't need to be told"
  • Does anybody feel that the production on Kill Uncle is quite similiar to the production of The Smiths eponymous debut?

The production is a little pristine, especially compared to other works that Langer & Winstanley produced, such as "My Love Life".
    Foster -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @01:02PM (#179848)
    (User #14088 Info)
  • even moreso than Southpaw Grammar, Kill Uncle is the most misunderstood, and thus underrated, album of Morrissey's career. surely, it is one of the most unique, and this is likely why it is so chastised by fans and critics alike- yet this uniqueness should be seen as one of its many strengths.

the album begins with its first single, "Our Frank"- a perfcet choice for the lead single as it is likely the most similiar to his previous solo singles on the album. this song also perfectly sets up the tone and progression of the album: an emphatically expressed desire to shake off the weighty thoughts of deep conversation and introspection that eventually gives way to an uncontrolable compulsion to think about "everything" "deeply" and "bleakly". all delivered by means of a racing and poppy musical backing and clever, humourous and undeniably charming lyrics and vocals, this is a fantastic way to open.

"Asian Rut" is easily one of the strangest songs in the Morrissey cannon, but this only adds to its interest. an eerie musical accompaniment, complete with the beautifully harmonius, yet unsettling, violin of Nawazish Ali Khan, a chilling depiction of racism and violence ending with one of the most transcending stanzas of Morrissey's career, "I'm just passing through here/On my way to somewhere civilised/And maybe I'll even arrive/Maybe I'll even arrive...." by that line alone this song is made spectacular.

one of the more accepted songs off Kill Uncle is second and final single taken from the album, "Sing Your Life". really, not much needs to said here: a joyously bouncy musical backing for perhaps Morrissey's most inspirational and encouraging lyrics ever. complete with the Morrissey charm and humour- which has never been displayed more or better than on this album- this is one of Morrissey's finest.

"Mute Witness" serves as a wonderful mirror to the classic "November Spawned A Monster" in its view of a disabled girl from the opposite and seemingly unsympathetic perspective. now, many will criticise Morrissey for having bad taste in attempting to extract humour from such a situation before abruptly sending the poor girl off in her taxi, but the very fact that Morrissey does write about things like this, where most would never attempt, shows his true empathy for the disabled. an ambiguous lyric and a glammed up musical performance, this is another great song.

people juste dont get "King Leer" ithink. ithink theyre juste being too serious or stuck up or something, but when people refer to one of Morrissey's greatest lyrics as his "lyrical nadir" it really makes me wonder what is wrong with them. simply a perfect piece of fey pop boasting an absurdly hilarious lyric with its series of cringeworthy, but completely intentional, puns and cliches including the title's labeling of the boyfriend as "King Leer"- brilliant. imean, if you think hes being serious, he completely gives himself away when he begins to laugh at himself in the middle of the song. this is the most playful moment of Morrissey's career and it is classic all the way.

"Found Found Found" begins the fall back into that uncontrolable compulsion of introspection suggested in opener, "Our Frank". the hardest music on the album works as a signal call for the shift in mood and perspective. another brilliantly transcending line, even though it was pipped from Noel Coward, comes at the end with "I do believe that the more you give your love, and I do believe that the more you give your trust, the more you're bound to lose." great track.

its been spoken of before how "Driving Your Gilfriend Home" can be seen as the otherside of The Smiths' classic "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and itotally buy into that. its easy to see how this song may tell from the driver's perspective the return from the night out of seeing "people" and "life" to finally drop the girlfriend off at what he calls "her home" but what she would refer as not her home, but "their home" (
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @08:35PM (#179897)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • The comments part seems to have been overrun by Johnny Marr fans championing Boomslang.

Who'd had thought Marr fans were far more deluded and blind to their hero's faults than Morrissey fans?
    Anonymous -- Thursday September 29 2005, @01:03PM (#180072)

[ home | terms of service ]