posted by davidt on Monday September 26 2005, @11:00AM
Tom Stroud writes:
Thursday 13th October BBC Radio 4 11pm (link)

Andrew Paresi (now Andrew MacGregor) tells his story of working with Morrissey. Various contributors include journos and musicians; the most interesting would seem to be Stephen Street and Clive Langer.

BBC Press release says "Andrew holds forth in a narrative peppered with Spinal Tap moments, mordant Mancunian observations, Morrissey-brand tragi-comedy and, of course, obligatory drum solos."

Should be worth a listen...! What will Moz think?
---
In this funny and fast-moving half-hour, comedian and writer Andrew McGibbon recalls his drumming sojourn with Morrissey, one of the wittiest and most profound rock poets of his generation.
Andrew is a live and session drummer who has worked with everyone from Peter Gabriel to Bucks Fizz. But it was the time spent with The Smiths’ singer, Morrissey, that provided him with his most memorable professional experiences. Capturing a sense of the late Eighties music scene and Andrew’s distinct but very small contribution to it, I Was Morrissey’s Drummer is an unmissable vignette of popular culture.

In a witty and perceptive show,Andrew holds forth in a narrative peppered with Spinal Tap moments, mordant Mancunian observations, Morrissey-brand tragi-comedy and, of course, obligatory drum solos.

There are contributions from Grace Jones, Suggs, producers Clive Langer (Elvis Costello, Dexy’s Midnight Runners), Stephen Street (Blur,The Smiths) and Danton Supple (Coldplay), as well as journalists David Quantick, Danny Eccleston and Mark Kermode. Andrew McGibbon (then working as Andrew Paresi) is a musician, comic, writer and producer.

Presenter/Andrew McGibbon, Producers/Jonathan Ruffle and Nick Romero
---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • he he he died in a bizarre gardening accident ....
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @11:26AM (#179671)
    • Re:bravo by kissmyshades (Score:1) Thursday September 29 2005, @03:48AM
  • Is this a joke? I can't see this show in that link.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @12:07PM (#179686)
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/pdfs/rad io/week41/bbcradiowk41_thu.pdf
    copy this link.

It's true! yay. still haven't the foggiest on the alexander link tho...?!

if the link above doesn't work, click the link as on the original post, then click the pdf adobe thing for the 13th oct. and scroll down. see. ho hum.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @03:25PM (#179721)
  • Finally someone who agrees, it's
    one of Mozs best works.

Well, people do disagree i know,
    i don't mind.
    Granvik -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @11:47AM (#179830)
    (User #14586 Info)
  • There’s a piece called “I was Morrissey’s Drummer” in Q mag’s 2004 special edition, by Andrew McGibbon (aka Paresi) who was recruited as a candidate for the band by Stephen Street. Here are some excerpts, to whet appetites:

“I embodied everything that Morrissey despised: muso, session player, show-off technique and long hair”.

“If there is such a sport as Ninja Charades then we played it damn hard. The object of the game was to let Morrissey win. I was usually on his team as my knowledge of what were then relative obscurities like The L-Shaped Room or Whate Nation meant I posed a threat anywhere else”.

(After an all-night party) “Later that morning I confronted Morrissey about how wounded I’d been by his decision to use Smiths drummer Mike Joyce on the previous two singles [to Ouija Board, Ouija Board]. Morrissey always rose early for breakfast, and expecting to have only the dawn chorus for company found himself being talked to death by a sugar-crazed back-beater vomiting a fountain of hurt. In the face of my stinging early morning outburst he was an absolute gentleman and a personal connection was made between us, one that survived beyond the Kill Uncle sessions of 1990. But this wasn’t enough to prevent my ultimate demise.

Having finished drumming on My Love Life we headed off to the Camden Working Men’s Social Club for an evening of Rockabilly Pride and Celtic Hover Skittles. Once inside, surrounded by quiffed and tattooed bopsters, some of whom would go on to become future band members, Morrissey leant on the wall and said, ”I’m in heaven Andrew, I completely belong here, these are my people… this is where I’ve always wanted to be!” I knew then I was fired”

goinghome -- Thursday September 29 2005, @12:49PM (#180067)
    (User #12673 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]