3 Baggy Trousers Madness

4 What I Go to School For Busted

5 School Nirvana

6 Expectations Belle & Sebastian

7 The Headmaster Ritual The Smiths

8 This Must Be the Place I Waited Years to Leave Pet Shop Boys

9 The Art Teacher Rufus Wainwright

10 Starfish and Coffee Prince

In Britain, at least, The Headmaster Ritual is the ne plus ultra of school songs. Johnny Marr set out to compose "what Joni Mitchell would have done had she been a punk rocker", while Morrissey tore into the "belligerent ghouls" who "run Manchester schools".

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • is kinda related:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/discuss/index.cgi?re ad=281264
    xXx_Mrs_Moz_xXx -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:38PM (#179365)
    (User #14395 Info | http://www.camdram.net/shows/06/evening_with_gary_lineker)
    "The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich, Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code & Plato invented the plate"
  • it unleashes the unruly British school boy in all of us! thank you Mr. MMMMMMMMMM

its so sweet to see when a pupil surpasses the teachers.

and as Morrissey keeps demonstrating, success is the sweetest revenge.
    artful dodger -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:53PM (#179376)
    (User #13974 Info | http://www.myspace.com/wallieworld)
    and as for me, I stand with the tribe of Morrissey.
  • but "The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils" should really be in there as well.
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Friday September 23 2005, @01:27PM (#179384)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • I'm glad this song made the list since it's pure perfection! It just goes to show the brilliance of Morrissey's lyrics and Marr's musical genius at the time. I do think this tune is quite underrated by many - it's just too good! It's such a good album opener too.

What do you think of the live version on Who Put The M In Manchester?
    Foster -- Friday September 23 2005, @03:21PM (#179400)
    (User #14088 Info)
  • Simon Goddard has high praise for “The Headmaster’s Ritual”. “Throwing down the gauntlet of “Meat is Murder’s” implicit catalogue of violence, Morrissey’s opening gambit – “Belligerent ghouls run Manchester’s schools” – remains the greatest opening line of any Smiths’ album, showing an incisive vocabulary and poetic pith that made its entry into the UK album charts at number 1 in February 1985 an even sweeter victory”.

Influences from Joni Mitchell to George Harrison, and the riffs in the Beatles’ “I feel fine” were identified in Johny Marr’s musical arrangement. For the lyric, Ken Loach’s “Kes” was cited, but Morrissey wasn’t reticient about owning up to the autobiographical background, quoted as saying about St. Mary’s Secondary School, Stretford: “If you dropped a pencil you’d be beaten to death. It was very aggressive. It seemed that the only activity of the teachers was whipping the pupils – which they managed expertly”; and “Five years of education here proved to have no effect on me whatsoever, and I’m sure no effect on anybody else except in a very adverse sense. Not to be recommended”.

Manchester Education Committee tried to ban local air-play, but Morrissey defended his onslaught on Granada TV, replying to a charge by Tony Wilson, Factory Records boss, that he was a “man trapped in a woman’s body” with the retort that Mr Wilson was a “pig trapped in a man’s body”, and later altering this to, a “man trapped in a pig’s body”!

(That last part sounds a bit like the sub-text of a parliamentary debate!)

With the abolition of corporal punishment in the meantime, Goddard comments that: “It was shrewd of Morrissey, a decade later, to write a reverse thesis of “The Headmaster’s Ritual” – the self-explanatory “The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils”…
    goinghome -- Saturday September 24 2005, @10:39AM (#179468)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • The Headmaster Ritual
    Suffer Little Children
    Ambitious Outsiders
    Michael's Bones
    Handsome Devil
    Used to be a Sweet Boy
    The Boy with the Thorn in His Side
    I Want the One I Can't Have
    Girl Least Likely To
    Encore: The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils
    keefer -- Saturday September 24 2005, @07:20PM (#179518)
    (User #2244 Info)
    *Reclined on an analysts couch*
  • Which other track does Johnny Marr feature on the list?
    Native -- Sunday September 25 2005, @04:21AM (#179538)
    (User #4233 Info)
  • black box recorder - school song
    Johnny Marr -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @09:43AM (#179816)
    (User #1113 Info)
    Going Underground

[ home | terms of service ]