posted by davidt on Friday September 23 2005, @12:00PM
Hello Indie writes:
NME journalist, James Jam, has commented on Antony and The Johnsons being ' the best thing to happen in music since The Smiths'.

Just one of the many quotes is, " Antony's victory provided welcome vilificaftion for individuality, a swipe on the scoreboard for personality, as well as announcing the gender-challenging gentle giant as the first great outsider pop hero we've had since we hung onto Morrissey's every wry utterance in the mid-80's. More so last week's Mercury Prize victory underlinded Antony and The Johnsons as the best thing to happen since The Smiths'.

The Smiths will be also be included on a album dedicated to John Peel.
All proceeds from the album will be divided between The Salvation Army, East Anglia Children's Hospices and the Karianusi School Trust. All of which Peel supported.

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I urge you all to buy Antony and The Johnsons new album, ' I Am A Bird Now' whoch won the Mercury Music Prize.
    I'm hoping to see Antony this year. .....Remarkable talent is all I have left to say.
    Hello Indie -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:07PM (#179351)
    (User #13749 Info | http://somedizzywhore.com/)
    Somedizzywhore.com offers free jars of beetroot for the elderly.
  • Antony is very original; gentle giant is right.
    You'd almost worry about him.

Any more ideas about what other bands/artists will be included in this album? It sounds very promising.
    goinghome -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:18PM (#179357)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • Check Antony and the Johnson's out...simply one of the best voices of our time. He is currently touring the US and playing in San Diego tonight. If you get a chance, see him live...you will be blown away.
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:21PM (#179358)
  • when i heard him perform after he won the mercury music prize, he's so avantgarde, well worth a listen
    oh btw for those who have vh2, on tuesday 27th at 12pm they're showing "The Smtihs: From The Begining"
    xXx_Mrs_Moz_xXx -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:35PM (#179363)
    (User #14395 Info | http://www.camdram.net/shows/06/evening_with_gary_lineker)
    "The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich, Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code & Plato invented the plate"
  • I'm not sure (Score:1, Interesting)

Superb voice. but I'm not sure he has the tunes - yet. I bought the album expecting to be blown away but instead found a collection of moderately tuneful piano ballads. I've only played it a few times - just didn't grab me. Whereas someone like Randy Newman or Warren Zevon hooked me in straight away ( I make the comparison as all three are into piano ballads, Zevon less so maybe, but listen to his solo piano renidition of 'The French Inhaler' in awe! ).

Nowt against Ant, but, while his voice isn't overrated, I think his songs probably are.
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:44PM (#179369)
    • Thank you! by dallow_bg (Score:1) Friday September 23 2005, @04:05PM
  • He just sounds like a bad Stars in their Eyes impression of Nina Simone to me. There's nothing remotely new in the music side of things at all. It's actually very MOR.

And how is someone being compared to the Smiths news? The NME has been doing that every other week for the past 20 years.
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @01:11PM (#179380)
    • Re:I don't get it by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday September 23 2005, @02:00PM
      • Re:I don't get it by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday September 23 2005, @02:02PM
        • Re:I don't get it by Barnaby Bear (Score:1) Friday September 23 2005, @03:05PM
          • Re:Why? by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday September 23 2005, @04:58PM
            • Re:Why? by Barnaby Bear (Score:1) Friday September 23 2005, @05:13PM
              • Re:Why? by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday September 23 2005, @05:31PM
              • Re:Why? by Barnaby Bear (Score:1) Friday September 23 2005, @06:02PM
              • Re:Why? by Barnaby Bear (Score:1) Friday September 23 2005, @06:06PM
  • I think R. Smith of the Cure would be a better comparison.. though i doubt Robert Smith was aiming for cross dressing... he is goth... or was?
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @01:21PM (#179383)
    • To be honest I listened to 'Hope There's Someone' and liked it very much for the first minute or so ... then it went all weird.
      I think winning the prize is good in the sense that he's highlighting a gap for alternative singer / songwriter types, other than the godawful blandness of James Blunt and the like; but sorry Antony, you just don't do it for me.
      And no, he's not like Moz and neither is he like Robert Smith. For one, Hegarty's voice is far too reedy and Damien Rice-a-like to be compared to Mozzer's crooning and Smith's cockney wide boy lilt.
      Neither were / are The Cure goths; how could a goth write 'Killing An Arab', Jumping Someone Else's Train', 'Friday I'm in Love' or 'In Between Days'? They were post-punk (and their early stuff seems to have heavily influenced Bloc Party) and now they're pop / rock.
      Can't Antony and The Johnsons just be Antony and The Johnsons?
      I must admit though, I've wracked my brains to think of someone who could be termed an 'outsider pop hero', since Moz and The Smiths exploded onto the scene ... and I couldn't. I think this review may have called it correctly in that sense. Just as long as Ant and his band don't suffer the 'Mercury curse'.
      Mozzersgirl -- Friday September 23 2005, @02:52PM (#179393)
      (User #14229 Info)
      "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • Wow, though I'm not surprised by people's lack of intelligence when posting in these forums. I reckon the only way to try to remedy the problem is to suggest people re-read the aforementioned excerpt very slowly. After, take a moment to understand HOW James Jam is comparing Antony to Morrissey.

It has nothing to do with cross-dressing (that's clearly irrelevant, especially since several of Morrissey's hero's were cross-dressers), but rather about being "the first great pop hero" since Morrissey and the Smiths. I think it's clear, and like it or not very, very true.

As far as the Anonymous post claiming Antony's music to be MOR- do you know what MOR is? I didn't think so, cause if you did you wouldn't use that abbreviation. Furthermore, you wouldn't use it in reference to the music of Antony & the Johnsons. Also, you have to remember there is no such thing as original music. Original music is a fallacy. It can be highly artistic but never original. There was/is nothing original about the music of Morrissey and the Smiths. The pretense, delivery, an emotional triggers of that music is highly original and I think Anotny is the first to acheive that level of orignality since. ANtony really is the only "other option" in pop music today.

The music is simple in a way that gives weight to the old adage 'less is more'. Having said that, if Antony was inclined to put an album out a cappella, the strength of his voice would bully your emotions to a point where you might actually combust. His voice is that powerful, pure and simple.
    Barnaby Bear -- Friday September 23 2005, @02:55PM (#179394)
    (User #11715 Info)
  • ...but I went to Sunderland University when this James Jam bloke was doing his thang locally, and the guy is frankly too young to have been "hanging onto Morrissey's every wry utterance in the mid-80's."

I know it's a small, pedantic point. But it kinda sums up the NME's habit of making themselves out to be something they're not.
    Stu Walsh -- Friday September 23 2005, @04:04PM (#179405)
    (User #2312 Info)
  • Antony and the Johnsons played last night and there are simply no words to describe the range of emotions his voice evokes. And the songs! He has no peers. None.

Grown men weep when he sings.
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @05:18PM (#179413)
  • i took a cursory scan of the posts and didn't see this mentioned, but...shouldn't the excerpt say that Antony's victory was a welcome 'vindication' rather than 'vilification' for individuality? small point, but a rather large difference in meaning
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @10:32PM (#179429)
  • I notice the Anthony-o-philes are somewhat contemptuous of those who "don't get" his music, but I don't see why anyone has to. Yes, the voice of Anthony is remarkable, but the songs are not. They simply lack sparkle. I would rather hear Morrissey's voice any day, or Johnny Cash's, or Randy Newman's. None of them have a voice to technically challenge Ant - if you're going on that score, Anthony wins hands down. But song-wise, all three have better tunes than Anthony and all three voices resonate with me more than his - and that's what counts. Besides, if you want such a voice, Nina Simone is the real mccoy, and her songs at their best are much, much better than those of Anthony. For those who want to explore the avant-garde aspect, Diamanda Galas is far, far more interesting than Anthony. I'm afraid I just can't see the fuss - beyond the voice, that is - and I don't see that I have to.
    Anonymous -- Saturday September 24 2005, @04:44AM (#179441)
  • Thanks a lot Lou Reed for hitching your wagon to this pretentious prog idiot.

You suck.
    bobmozza -- Saturday September 24 2005, @05:17AM (#179445)
    (User #6533 Info)
  • As an amateur musicologist I must admit that for the first time I really do not get it. I listened to a ton of songs by Antony and the Johnsons and was left uninspired, unimpressed and as a final result, uninterested. It sounds like a really bad impression of late career Roxy Music. Actually it really reminded me of the Tindersticks which are another band I have not been able to find value or joy in. I know both of these bands have their following but I am perplexed at what would make anyone think this is listenable or inventive in any way. Perhaps if you are into cabaret jazz or 40's vocalists I could see finding a kinship here but to win the Mercury prize only degrades that award in my eyes. Any comparison to the Smiths is laughable whether it be style, sound or critical weight.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not that I am trashing Antony &TJ it's just that like most of the music press coming out of the UK right now it seems to me to be all about hype over substance. I sat listening for hours hoping to hear what some people have in their music and was left with the impression of a morose swim through a sea of molasses.
    With so many great things finally happening in music gain and so many true originals finding their public voice why would they get so much respect as the Mercury prize? Erasure's Nightbird shames their effort as well as recent offerings by Bloc Party, Bright Eyes, The Arcade Fire, Interpol and the Killers (if they count for this year), The Tears, Franz Ferdinand, Peter Murphy, even the Rolling Stones who I have disliked for 20 years have put forth their strongest effort to date.
    Well if you like perhaps the Tindersticks, Sigur Ros and Goldfrapp and have a yearning for slow cabaret jazz I would run to the local indie record store to buy this album...everyone else should run in the opposite direction and hope this does not become a trend.

Now just to provide a nugget I hope everyone has gone to depechemode.com and watched the video for their new single Precious. Finally they are back in their form as true masters after their not-too-fulfilling Exciter album. Looks like the boys are heading back to their Black Celebration days which is blissful to me. Pure genius.
    MOZ IS GOD -- Saturday September 24 2005, @05:56AM (#179447)
    (User #3249 Info | http://www.myspace.com/coldwarspies)
  • ...and half way through the set I was yawning. Yes he might be something new and out of the ordinary but I got very bored for the following reasons: OK it's debateable whether the guy has a good voice. However he sings EVERY SINGLE tune with exactly the same voice and resonance - there is no variation. Also all the songs are very samey: slow-tempo "beautiful" ballads which gets very boring after a while. Also the stage presence gets very boring after a while: a big fat whale by the piano and the mike.
    Lyrics? Well they might be the best thing about him. But then again, I'm sorry to say, they are very samey - no variation.
    There is nothing capturing about their concert apart from the Quite "twee" songs which are repeated and repeated.
    Not me thanks. Go on Mozzer!
    Anonymous -- Saturday September 24 2005, @11:22AM (#179481)
  • It sounds like a this mortal coil album without all the distortion and weird instrumentals...
    That being said it is very original... A change from the new folk movement or the "new" new wave
    Refreshing, somber, and heartfelt
    Much more emotional than anything Connor Oberst has every heard
    moho -- Monday September 26 2005, @09:17AM (#179657)
    (User #10663 Info)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]