posted by davidt on Friday September 23 2005, @12:00PM
mozzrules writes:
The concert rumours came true (thanks heaven!)

The source of the news is Eylem Aktepe (our beautiful fan-club moderator). The organizers are her friend. They came to an agreement this afternoon. It will be on 10th of December. I think it will be announced officially in a few days time. The details are on the way.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • to go and record a bootleg of all the new material for us here then?!
    xXx_Mrs_Moz_xXx -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:30PM (#179362)
    (User #14395 Info | http://www.camdram.net/shows/06/evening_with_gary_lineker)
    "The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich, Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code & Plato invented the plate"
  • Press outlet (Score:1, Flamebait)

It's for this kind of news that an official website or similar could be useful. In the Pitchfork story about the publicist' statement on the album-in-progress, readers are directed to morrisseymusic.com but of course that's well out-dated now without a modicum of current relevance which can be irksome. I suppose we can presume that Julia will again host any announcement about a concert in Istanbul and more, or maybe NME, (or Janice Long?) but I wonder are people happy to live with that, or are there other preferences, if such were possible, and obviously Moz-blessed? It seems to work out one way or the other, just curious.
    goinghome -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:37PM (#179364)
    (User #12673 Info)
    • Re:Press outlet by lg (Score:0) Friday September 23 2005, @07:42PM
      • Sorry by lg (Score:1) Friday September 23 2005, @07:48PM
      • Re:Press outlet by goinghome (Score:1) Sunday September 25 2005, @10:43AM
  • I love it!! Morrissey showing his true, money-hungry colors!! Playing in the genocide-mongering country of Turkey!!! Mr. Mozzer is too good to show up to a PETA show honoring his "dedication" to animals (to record a new album for more money), and too ignorant and greedy to avoid one of the most atrocious countries when it comes to human rights. What a hypocritical prick!
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @12:39PM (#179366)
  • http://www.true-to-you.net/#050824

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=05/08 /24/1810247
    Belligerent Ghoul -- Friday September 23 2005, @01:03PM (#179378)
    (User #9224 Info)
    There is a light that never goes out...
  • Just for you smart people out there.

I'm turning to Islam for this.
    Mozzar Akhbar.
    Granvik -- Friday September 23 2005, @01:43PM (#179386)
    (User #14586 Info)
  • An amazing prospect (Score:2, Interesting)

It's never too much to use music for the sake of bringing our rather xenophobic planet to become (or try to) a little more cosmopolitan...

I read an article quite some time ago about an Iranian 20 year-old filmmaker that went from stand to stand in the streets of his hometown to collect, avidly, any article he could on Scorcese, Hitchcock, or Godard. His dream was to become a great filmmaker and help his people by showing the world his own. When I was the same age, digging magazines with Morrissey's enigmatic face in underground stores in Rio, I felt the same thirst this Iranian boy did.

This was not thirst for cultural interaction, merely speaking, but for new thoughts and expressions that could lead to a sensation of freedom from cultural stagnation. Once cross-cultural relations takes place in people's minds and hearts, there is a end to social stiffness.

The same way Morrissey brought Latinos his passionate inconformism, the hurricane he is against authority, boredom and opression, he will bring perhaps these same things to these people - because I'm not convinced Arabia, Turkey, Iran, etc are trully liberated...I still get petitions for me to sign against genital mutilation, legalized murder due to female adultery, etc. I read more than a handful of recent books on the issue, too.

The concept of a woman listening to Morrissey singing "The Lazy Dykes" is, if you stop to think of it, a very amazing, even life-changing thing for some of these women. And what about these guys that cannot come out out of so much fear of their family? Don't tell me I'm full of bull because I know quite well these Arabic people. They need somebody like Moz for a little benefictiary concert...

May the millennary 'practices' excuse me...

Mrs. Woolf -- Friday September 23 2005, @05:34PM (#179416)
    (User #14157 Info)
    • Let me preface this by stating that I am and have been a Moz fan for more than 15 years. He means the world to me... ...BUT I simply cannot sit by and let you go blindly ignore 7000 years of Turkish history (not to mention 3000 years of Mexican history) and call Morrissey the great white hope that "if you think about it" will liberate greater Asia with some pop-songs. Don't you think that a culture so rich and historied like Turkey's has, oh I don't know, one or two figures in its midst that have and continue to rail against the establishment and provide some pillar on which "dykes" and queer young men can lean? Don't you think that maybe "those people" (as you so delicately put it) have already got a sense of who they are in this world-cosmopolitan culture and don't need the great white hope to enlighten them one bit? Sure, the Turks will attend the show, but come on Mrs Woolf! Thier "social stiffness" (your words) will not be loosened by our fair Morrissey one bit, if thier own sense liberty hasn't done it already. Sure a woman in the Middle East listening to 'Lazy Dykes; is very amazing, but a woman listening to 'Lazy Dykes' in Utah is just as amazing. Your sense of white grandeur is maddening.

And while I'm at it: Morrissey's a hit with a lot of Latinos living in the US, but not with ALL Latinos and while he is a star to some Latinos: frankly he's one in a long line of stars that have and will come. He's not the liberator you make him out to be, after all if he were a liberator Latino's all the way across the US would be faring alot better than they are.

And as for that article you read about the Iranian kid wanting to become a great filmmaker so he goes after all these great American films and articles, well its A BLOODY SHAM because any Iranian kid who wants to be a filmmaker will read and watch the films by Abbas Kiarostami or Samira Makhmalbaf or for fuck's sake will watch any of the 10,000 films Bollywood produced in India last year alone which by the way are readily available in Iran. America/England are not the world.

Rogelio -- Friday September 23 2005, @08:18PM (#179427)
      (User #6063 Info)
    • Re:An amazing prospect by Mrs. Woolf (Score:1) Saturday September 24 2005, @05:59AM
    • Re:An amazing perspective by goinghome (Score:1) Saturday September 24 2005, @11:19AM
    • Mrs Woolf by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday September 24 2005, @11:29AM
    • Re:An amazing prospect by girlafraid33 (Score:1) Saturday September 24 2005, @05:40PM
  • Until you find Julia has converted to islam
    to gain a free entry
    Anonymous -- Saturday September 24 2005, @10:31AM (#179466)
  • because i decided that it's my turn to be a nerd, i went to Alain's booking company's website http://libertalia.us/tours.htm [libertalia.us] and found this:

Red Lightning
    Dec 1 US: CA, Los Angeles - Knitting Factory tbc
    Dec 4 US: TX, El Paso - Lucky Devils
    Dec 6 US: TX, San Antonio - Sanctuary tbc
    Dec 7 US: TX, Houston - Sidecar tbc
    Dec 8 US: TX, Dallas - Gypsy Tea Room
    Dec 9 US: OK, Oklahoma City - Venue tba
    Dec 10 US: CO, Denver - Venue tba
    Dec 14 US: NV, Las Vegas - The Beach tbc

so this means that not only does Palare get his Houston date, if moz is going to be in Istanbul on the 10th, then Alain is going to be in Denver that same day.
    suzanne -- Saturday September 24 2005, @11:15AM (#179476)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • The majority of the Republican Zionist sympathisers on here, were once married to someone of Arab decent.

That is how, "they know so much about these things"!

Well isn't that a surprise.
    Anonymous -- Saturday September 24 2005, @12:03PM (#179493)
  • I'm off to do something more enjoyable than read this crap
    Anonymous -- Saturday September 24 2005, @12:17PM (#179498)
  • Why is there such controversy over where he plays? So....If Moz went to Rome he'd be supposedly promoting pro-catholic, anti-abortion, anti-contraception, anti-gay sentiments? Or if he went to Israel he'd be anti-terrorist, or if he went to Gaza he'd be pro-terrorist? (sorry, my Jewish brother nearly got murdered by Hamas, in Israel, so I am a little bit tetchy there....sorry to digress!)

He is just going to sing his tunes to his FANS!

Having lived in Australia and experienced very little live Moz action, I understand his Turkish fans deserve a little bit of Moz action too!

I dont have anything against anyone of any religion, I just cant stand *fundamentalists* within those religions, no matter WHAT the religion. But the Turkish fans cannot help that they were born in Turkey.....

It's all about serving the fans....give them a break! Let Morrissey go and share his love to those who already love him.....

gee whiz!
    becca74 -- Saturday September 24 2005, @05:17PM (#179511)
    (User #493 Info)
  • please come to israel please!!!!
    Anonymous -- Sunday September 25 2005, @01:48AM (#179532)
  • I cannot wait to see Morrissey on stage wearing his fez.
    Anonymous -- Sunday September 25 2005, @03:23AM (#179537)
  • Istanbullshit.
    English Martyr -- Sunday September 25 2005, @05:53AM (#179545)
    (User #655 Info | http://website.lineone.net/~smilingontim/timstwin.htm)
  • It is so depressing to see how easily some of you judge people and countries which you don't know. Get a culture before you open your mouths: words count, and "heavy words are lightly thrown", especially on this site, it seems. Turkey's a wonderful place, with great history and literature, you should be surprised that Morrissey never played there before. The UK is just an island, not the world nor its centre. It's a shame you don't realise it.
    niva -- Sunday September 25 2005, @09:39AM (#179560)
    (User #13528 Info)
  • I commend Moz for playing Turkey (assuming it does happen) and highly recommend anyone to pay a visit to the Turkish Republic who has not had a chance, especially Istanbul. Not only do you have the chance to see the Agia Sophia and Blue Mosques, Topkapi Palace where the Sultan ruled the Ottoman Empire for hundreds of years, but there are also excellent restaurants, winding hilly streets with intricate architecture, beautiful views of the Bosporus and affordable hotels, and most of all generous Turkish hospitality. Outside of Istanbul are the magical Fairy Towers of Cappadocia, underground cities, elegant coastline and all kinds of ancient ruins. You'll also be able to eat vegetarian without much problem, drink lots of sweet tea in little glasses, try the local anise liqueur Raki and get demolished in any backgammon game you may attempt to take on with a local. It's also important to realize Turkey is fully alive today and not stuck in some mythic past. They are obsessed with pop music (Tarkan, anyone?) and the modern world as anyone, with lively newspapers, films, TV shows, dance clubs and cafes.

I am sure I am not the only one to get saddened to see all the open and not-so-open racist and xenophobic comments on this site. I realize a lot of it is posted by bored man-children who hope to get a reaction from some more sensitive than average Morrissey fans. But not only is this kind of racism petty and uncivilized, it is deadly. There is no place for it on this site, or in this world.

Anonymous -- Sunday September 25 2005, @01:25PM (#179575)
  • Most here are talking crap, few are talking sense. No one country is surperior to another, morals differ, as do beliefs, cultures.... if Morrissey as cultivated a fan base in Turkey, why not go there, they're no different from the fans in the UK or US. All countries have something to be shameful about, no-one has the right to take the moral high-ground. 'He who casts the first stone...' Personally, I don't believe these rumours, it feels like Isle of Wight all-over again, however, let's hope it is true.
    Kristina -- Sunday September 25 2005, @04:36PM (#179584)
    (User #13941 Info)
  • I just got back from Washington DC, where I joined a few hundred thousand other folks in yet another protest against the insane and destructive Bush regime. There was a concert afterwards, and my husband and I were thinking how wonderful it would have been if Moz could have played a few songs. Although he has little to do musically with the likes of Joan Baez or Steve Earl, it is in his role as professional outsider that I find he really shines.

Although he is certianly no messiah, Morrissey is an inspiration because he has always been so political. It is artists (as opposed to entertainers) like Moz that push the boundaries of what is acceptable in a culture, making it more progressive and thus more tolerant. There is no nation on earth that is so advanced that it cannot use a perpetul kick in the arse from troublemakers like Moz. Anytime he plays anywhere it is a good thing.
    Anaesthesine -- Sunday September 25 2005, @08:30PM (#179591)
    (User #14203 Info)
    If Moz did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.
  • there are 10,000 fans waiting for u moz in israel!!! so come....u never been here so this is the time.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @12:52AM (#179599)
  • Which means 'All praise is due to Allah'
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @01:56AM (#179604)
  • Turkey, Istanbul, where Morrissey will be playing: http://english.istanbul.com/?Vst=2
    I feel blessed already that just 3 weeks after The Cure concert in Turkey, I will be able to watch Morrissey. Just to remind you that in Ýstanbul there is a bienal in which artists from more than 53 countries are invited. Last week, Phil Collins, artist, and volunteers participated in a Smiths karaoke project for this bienal.
    It is true that Turkey is a %99.. somewhat Muslim country, but please do not forget that numbers only serve to make lives easier. And the truth could lie somewhere beyond numbers. Please beware of any prejudice on any religion, language , race because it is all unfortunately misleading. Thanx
    scrubs -- Monday September 26 2005, @05:20AM (#179628)
    (User #14782 Info)
  • 10'000 fans waiting for u ,so come!!!
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @07:18AM (#179639)
  • ..and all that from an israeli. could you believe?

morrissey is not that political as mrs. woolf tried to make him. she had many good points though, this missis, most of them widely misunderstood.
    i think RUBBER RING talks about this: mrs. woolf searched for sime protest singer and found it in morrissey's lyrics when all he wanted was to talk about himself (some people will relate to anything i'll write, said morrissey to himself).
    i adore morrissey for his style, and because i have no choice - i'm a morrissey fan craving for his voice, but i stopped identifying with is lyrics post bona drag, generally speaking.

as for turkey: i think i know we the first "jumpers" wrote what they wrote.
    it is still debatable whether turkey respects human rights enought to become european: the death penalty for example, their definition of terror (which is, every kurd who dares to oppose) and their denial of the armenian genocise in WW1.

don't confuse all that.
    but on the other hand, more comments could be made: that turkey's government and army has been quite leanient (?) towards it's minorites in recent years, avoided executing uchalan (the PKK leader i think) and the most striking point is that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to draw a line of where to preform and where not to.
    as an israeli i wouldn't dare drawing it, but i think few are the countries who fit the definition and standards and stand on the podium of perfect liberalism.
    many states in the USA have death penalty, european countries have african blood on their hands, the norwegian and japanese cant stop killing whales, the afghans kill women when they run out of game prey, the pakistanis and india play with red buttons and i haven't talked about cuba, iran, saudi arabia and syria.

but even if a line is drawn, turkey is well above the line.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @08:52AM (#179654)
  • That's such great news. Mozzer playing in Turkey!
    alcoholic afternoon -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @05:20AM (#179785)
    (User #14583 Info)
    ..and when i fell on the floor i drank more...
  • Couldn't help but get the football comment in here - can we all see Moz in a Liverpool top at the gig?!
    Mozster -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @07:29AM (#179799)
    (User #6823 Info)
    Ready with ready wit, still running round................
  • eat Turkey he can't play there.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 27 2005, @01:49PM (#179860)
  • they're not terrorists
    officially ,at least
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @03:16PM (#179398)
  • hahaha!
    So if you've a gig in Constantinople
    He'll be playing in Istanbul

andwhenyouwanttolive -- Saturday September 24 2005, @12:14AM (#179433)
    (User #14154 Info)
  • What a stupid and ignorant thing to say
    Jesus forgives -- Sunday September 25 2005, @08:01AM (#179554)
    (User #13506 Info)
  • Morrissey the 23rd
    Anonymous -- Sunday September 25 2005, @08:16AM (#179556)
  • I don't understand how ignorant (actually I'm surprised you can write, your brain must be the size of a spermatozoon), narrow-minded people like you find the courage to show they even exist. You don't know a thing about Turkey. Therefore, shut up.
    niva -- Sunday September 25 2005, @08:30AM (#179558)
    (User #13528 Info)
  • you dickhead....how could you possibly be a Moz fan making vile comments like that? Please don't wear a seat belt you idiot.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @05:05AM (#179623)
  • Do you know what you're talking about? So you say that there are terrorists all over the country who are planning suicide bombings for Turkey. The fact is, this isn't the real truth. The real truth is that there are suicide bombers all over the world! Think about The September 11, think about madrid, think about London. The bombers was the people who born and lived in these countries. They werent raised in any other country. They werent came to US, UK from any other country. They became alienationed with the society they live in. They became alienationed because of the racist, they became alienationed because of the people who think that foreigners are the enemies.
    This is a topic about music. This is a topic the music of the Morrissey. There are brilliant people in Turkey who internalize Morrissey. There are people in Turkey who're trying express themselves with Morrissey for years. And there numerous of people who are looking for a lifetime chance to see him live. Do you think they are different from you? Do you think that they feel or think different things from you, when they hear morrissey? I don't think so.
    But you think you got the right to think so. But you havent got that right.
    I think that morrissey will be shocked to be in Istanbul, Turkey when he see his fans. That's the fact.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @05:47AM (#179631)
  • Re:allah shalakum (Score:0, Insightful)

Given that Turkey is just about America's closest ally in the Middle East nowadays (and I remember the days when Saddam Hussein was!), your inability to tell one Muslim country from another is hilarious. I hope your own country doesn't allow you to drive or operate heavy machinery.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 26 2005, @06:39AM (#179633)
  • 3 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]