posted by davidt on Wednesday September 21 2005, @11:00AM
goinghome writes:
“Cockney Reject - The Jeff Turner Story” is just recently published. It’s the biograghy of Cockney Rejects vocalist Jeff 'Stinky' Turner. With, the sales blurb announces, a foreword by Morrissey.

The launch with the band was in Purfleet on 2nd September, and while there is an introduction to the book on the band’s website, it’s hardly Morrissey’s contribution. So it’d be great if anyone could put their hands on the book and report back on what the forward says.

Garry Bushell co-wrote the book. He pens columns for ‘The People’ and has produced a comprehensive history of the English ‘oi’ punk movement that Cockney Rejects represent, a movement maligned and misunderstood, with some parallels to Morrissey's story. A little summary goes like this: “Oi’s self-definition of ‘having a laugh and having a say’ got it right on the button. The laughs were ten a penny for Jack the Lads knocking back pints and pills and pulling at the pubs, rampaging at the football grounds and revelling in rebel rock’n’roll at the gigs. Oi reflected that, but it also cried out against the injustices weighed up against the young working class. In that sense Oi was a real voice from the backstreets, a megaphone for dead-end yobs. At its best it went beyond protest, and dreamed of a better life: social change; the kids united.”

The rest is at this link.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Bushell is a bigoted, parastic bastard with absolutely no valuable contribution to the human race!!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday September 21 2005, @11:10AM (#179012)
  • Foreword

Who is proof reading this site?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday September 21 2005, @11:53AM (#179029)
    • fixed title by davidt (Score:1) Wednesday September 21 2005, @12:14PM
    • Re:Correction by goinghome (Score:1) Wednesday September 21 2005, @03:27PM
  • Oi!

Anonymous -- Wednesday September 21 2005, @12:03PM (#179034)
  • The whole of that scene was mis-understood. The Cockneys were a great band throughout. Great singles, great lyrics, great ideas. Glad Mozzer likes them.
    EAST END!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday September 21 2005, @01:39PM (#179051)
    • yes good band but oi was a nasty little movement and bushell was at the centre of it: 'strength through oi' compilation album etc. oi more than flirted with far right politics - possibly forgiveable in the young but pathetic and dangerous in so-called adults. bushell is now standing as a candidate for something called the English Democrats party.

yes yes i see the moz thing about the dying english working class etc but that's just nostalgia. the real face of this now is the BNP. or euphemisms for it ... i'm watching bushell. he acts the buffoon - i recall he said he didn't know 'strength through oi' derived from a nazi slogan at the time - but it's a good cover.

on his political website he includes managing 'the blood' in his cv. another sad euphemism: they used to be called coming blood (great name)
      methadone -- Wednesday September 21 2005, @06:24PM (#179107)
      (User #12826 Info)
      • Oh, come now. Oi all together wasn't a nasty movement? The problem was a lot of the crowd that became involved later on. A lof of good bands/musicians came from the oi scene, and while I do agree that there was a bit of a nasty element involved, it wasn't as widespread as many make it out to be. The troublemakers were the ones who stood out, and gave oi a bad rap. A perfect example is Sham 69. A band that was very outspoken about their politics, very anti NF, and staunchly anti-fascist. Debatetly, they somehow attracted the worst following of all the bands, which in turn pretty much ended their career. The violence that surrounded their gigs was the work a small number of bonehead skins, but enough to create mayhem that they didn't want. Oi has always been associated with football culture, which definitely has it's own beer swilling, lad phenomenon, so unfortunetly, the two go hand in hand I guess. Look at the two tone scene, which has had the same share of problems. It's a shame that bands like Madness, and The Specials have had this bizarre,small following of people that don't quite belong there. I still don't quite understand why these kids did, and still do, go to ska and oi shows, if not only to cause problems. They should stick to their sad little RAC shows on their compounds.

People like Mensi didn't do too much good for the movement's reputation either. While the Upstarts stuff was pretty anti racist/ anti fascist as well, he made some very offensive, insensitive comments in an interview way back when, that will probably stay with him for a long time. I don't know too much about Gary "Gal Gonad" Bushell's recent politics, but he never was the sharpest tool in the shed. He has been a part of some great music. The Cockneys were a top band, as well as the likes of Cock Sparrer, Sham 69, Infa-Riot, Menace, Last Resort, The Business, Slaughter And The Dogs, etc. It's just too bad that many of them will always be associated with a small brigade nationalist thugs.

Sharron Needles -- Thursday September 22 2005, @02:11AM (#179149)
        (User #762 Info)
        Inside every adult male is a denied little boy -Nancy Friday
  • Oi Polloi (Score:2, Insightful)

I think fair play to Morrissey for this. Part of his appeal has always been his perverse delight in championing the underdog, and as quixotic as he can be, he seems to have stuck to his guns over the Rejects. I saw them at Meltdown last year and thought they put on a cracking show.
    In defence of Bushell, which is no easy task, as much as he championed Oi in Sounds, he was one of the first journalists to turn on the far right when they attempted to take over the scene. I think Morrissey's interest in street punk was tied up with perhaps his best work (as I remember he had skins running amok in the Our Frank period)and that empathy he has always shown to marginalised cultures, whether it is Irish Blood or the Last Truly British People. I am just waiting now for a cover version on his next 'balls-to-the-wall-rocking-out' album, of The Business's Sabotage The Hunt.
    Popside Aggro -- Thursday September 22 2005, @01:09PM (#179242)
    (User #14426 Info)
    You're a big man, but you're out of shape...
    • Re:Oi Polloi by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday September 22 2005, @01:47PM
      • Although I have yet see conclusive proof of 'Morrissey - the Cradle of Filth years', or 'Stephen Patrick says 'I owe it all to the Macc Lads'
        Popside Aggro -- Thursday September 22 2005, @01:59PM (#179255)
        (User #14426 Info)
        You're a big man, but you're out of shape...
  • It was that bastard Bushell who stoked up the whole "Suffer Little Children" controversy.

The man is a piece of low life filth.
    Anonymous -- Thursday September 22 2005, @03:15PM (#179278)
  • He and his progeny should be wiped from the face of the Earth
    Anonymous -- Friday September 23 2005, @05:30AM (#179324)

[ home | terms of service ]