posted by davidt on Monday September 19 2005, @10:00AM
Astroman writes:
Given Moz's penchant for being vengeful and his plethora of songs that channel this, it's not surprising that one of his songs made a list of Top 10 "F*** You" Songs as compiled by Pitchforkmedia.com. The song that made the list is one of the wittier ones...

6. The Smiths: "The Queen Is Dead"
Morrissey and the Smiths were well-known for their mockery and disdain for the Queen, and this jam truly sums up their "fuck you" sentiment to her highness. I just love the line "her very Lowness with her head in a sling I'm truly sorry but it sounds like a wonderful thing." Morrissey's somber yet sarcastic delivery paint an amazing image of working-class Manchester in the 80s.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Anyone having problems with the link?

Try here:
    http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/features/artistlists /c/chin-up-05/ [pitchforkmedia.com]
    mozmic_dancer -- Monday September 19 2005, @10:23AM (#178733)
    (User #11277 Info)
    "I am the fun and the fair, on a Mozsite for the criminally insane..."
  • Most of those song, I guess qualify, but I think our Man is a "Fuck You" writer extraordinare (excuse the vulgar term). "The Queen is Dead" is a good example, but Morrissey over the year's truly honed the craft of writing in this particular genre.

Here are my favorite Morrissey's Fuck You songs:

1. Most of Quarry, bless him
    2. Sorrow Will Come in the End (some say it's not a song. I'm talking lyrical content. Classy, too!)
    3. Get Off the Stage
    4. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
    5. Headmaster's Ritual
    6. Best Friend on the Payroll
    7. Black-Eyed Susan
    8. Journalist Who Lie
    9. There Speaks a True Friend
    10. We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful

And the Miss Non-Congeniality award goes to Reader Meet Author.
    mozmic_dancer -- Monday September 19 2005, @11:43AM (#178745)
    (User #11277 Info)
    "I am the fun and the fair, on a Mozsite for the criminally insane..."

[ home | terms of service ]