posted by davidt on Monday September 19 2005, @10:00AM
handsome groom writes:
I just haven't bought it yet, babies, but here it is:

Tributo a los Smiths con acento español - LaNetro

Some spanish indie groups cover THE SMITHS

Excerpt:

Una luz que nunca se apagará (El Diablo, 2005)
Nos estamos acostumbrando a que bandas del denominado pop-rock independiente nacional sean convocadas a participar en discos homenaje a grupos, en este caso, británicos.

SPAM vs Silvia Superestar vs Digital 21: Bigmouth strikes again
LKan: Ask
Globaltempo vs Javier Ojeda: How soon is now?
Stereoskope: This charming man
Femme Fatal: Heaven knows I'm miserable now
Maydrïm: Shakespeare's sister
Lethargy: Some girls are bigger than others
Ratio: The queen is dead
Sexy Sadie: Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me
Damills: Please please please let me get what I want
Bombones: Girlfriend in a coma
Bad Tattoo: Hang the Dj

Digital 21: Panic
Ciudadano vs Joaquín Pascual: The boy with the thorn in his side
Lonely Joe: Handsome devil
Indigo: This charming man
Frozen on board: Death of a disco dancer
Eric Fuentes: Still ill
Da: Girlfriend in a coma
Malahora: Real around the fountain
Alado Sincera: Well I wonder
Murmur: Jeane
Madee: William, it was really nothing
Miranda Warning: Cemetry gates
Deluxe: There is a light than never goes out

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Translation: (Score:2, Informative)

We are getting used to national indie bands being asked to participiate on tribute albums, in this case, a British band...
    Rogelio -- Monday September 19 2005, @10:09AM (#178731)
    (User #6063 Info)
  • A plea (Score:2, Funny)

It's important not to be negative or disparaging about this album - it would be churlish and wrong to slag it off without having heard it first.

So could someone upload these songs as soon as possible so we can all have a good laugh at it and point childishly at those responcible for such an idea?

Smith's covers are always awful unless sung by Kirsty MacColl, in which case they are good. Think of The Queen Is Dead Tribute Album.

These songs should be left well alone. Any new and inferior versions of them should only released by Morrissey on his own live albums.
    Stan <[email protected]> -- Monday September 19 2005, @11:50AM (#178747)
    (User #9752 Info | http://www.stanleymchale.merseyblogs.co.uk/)
    • Re:A plea by nonesoever (Score:1) Monday September 19 2005, @12:54PM
      • Re:A plea by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 20 2005, @01:23PM
        • Re:A plea by nonesoever (Score:1) Wednesday September 21 2005, @08:39AM
  • Does anyone know where this can be purchased?
    Anonymous -- Monday September 19 2005, @02:37PM (#178776)
    • Re:Purchase by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday September 19 2005, @02:46PM
    • Re:Purchase by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 20 2005, @08:33AM
  • The cd is free with a beef burrito meal @ taco bell.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 19 2005, @04:18PM (#178783)
    • racist cunt by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday September 21 2005, @07:56AM
      • Re:racist cunt by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday September 21 2005, @07:02PM
  • who gives a rat's ass? j'ai besion une phoque pour mon anniversaire bien sur!
    Anonymous -- Monday September 19 2005, @05:54PM (#178793)
  • racist fucks!!!
    Anonymous -- Monday September 19 2005, @11:42PM (#178804)
    • Re:what? by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday September 23 2005, @09:20AM
  • I'm missing DOVER on that one. They're actually a great Spanish band, who probably had done at least a good job at covering a SMITHS tune, which is quite difficult in the first place anyway.
    Opolus -- Tuesday September 20 2005, @12:04AM (#178805)
    (User #5987 Info)
    "Slit my eyes, for they'll remember..."
  • howdy kids,

i got hold of it at FNAC in Alicante while getting me some sun and hanging out with some of the local totty, FNAC (similar to HMV/Virgin) must have a web address for orders.

anyway, the covers on the whole are interesting. I've played it a few times now. Not as good as the originals but hey it's good that bands all over are still influenced by Morrissey and want to add their personal touch to his work.

god bless you all

davy
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 20 2005, @05:55AM (#178832)
  • I think it's great that the Smiths are being covered by indie band's. Just remember that if you dont like it, you dont have to buy it. If you take the time to write about how much you hate it. Then deep down you know you love it. Otherwise you wont be so negative about it. Like a love hate relationship. What you should be hating is the last label Morrissey was on...
    HeLLkAt999 -- Tuesday September 20 2005, @08:36AM (#178857)
    (User #14735 Info)
  • I like spanish rock, but I don´t have any fu..in' idea of who the hell are these bands, they just want some popularity.
    londonmoz -- Tuesday September 20 2005, @01:27PM (#178894)
    (User #7325 Info)
    "Life is a tale told by a fool, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"
    • Popularity? by ATLpunk (Score:1) Tuesday September 20 2005, @06:13PM
    • Re:Sacrilegio by mr. superinvisible (Score:1) Tuesday September 20 2005, @09:28PM
  • Anyone ever heard Santana's version of This Charming hombre

I hope Morrissey covers the Led Zeps moby dick

-j
    jools -- Tuesday September 20 2005, @02:33PM (#178906)
    (User #13476 Info)
  • Crossing Barriers (Score:3, Informative)

Some comments are rather xenophobic here, but it's a good thing anyway Morrissey's music is doing its amazing job of crossing cultural barriers. I remember, when I was living in Rio, me and two other "South Americans" felt the Smiths was so ours, we hardly remembered they were products of Britain. One of my dreams is to take a day in my life to do a cover of a Morrissey's album... I agree this compilation could be rather self-promoting, but certainly not because it's Spanish or Latino, an issue that is never brought up when, for instance, a band like the Pioneers does a cover of a Morrissey's song (like The More You Ignore Me).

The fact that most of you don't seem to remember too often is that Morrissey came from a humble background, has very often spoken for/about humble people and even moved to LA probably due to a need for the warmth of the Latino public there, as we already know. I'm sure he feels very honored if he knows about this compilation of covers. There is no reason why only one person should be considered competent enough to sing his songs, and even more so if you never heard these Spanish bands...
    Mrs. Woolf -- Tuesday September 20 2005, @04:46PM (#178918)
    (User #14157 Info)
    • Mrs. Woolf... by dewdrop (Score:0) Thursday September 22 2005, @04:01PM
  • Hi I'm a Spanish Moz/Smiths fan and music journalist. I just wanted to let everyone interested know that, in my opinion, this so-called "tribute"-album is completely and utterly appalling. Spanish indie bands nowadays are a very sad business these days, and well it's also a very sad thing to listen to some of the songs of my life being shattered by a bunch of amateur, self indulgent, untalented wannbes. Stay away of it, unless you're in a masochistic mood.
    Anonymous -- Thursday September 29 2005, @12:11PM (#180062)
  • Basicly the album is a great piece of sh**... But there's a great track though. Some band called Murmur (from Madrid) has done a pretty intelligent cover of "Jeane". Very recommendable. I won't make any other comments on it, you should find out for yourselves...
    Anonymous -- Thursday September 29 2005, @12:18PM (#180063)
  • maybe you should learn how to speak english before you attempt spanish insults.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 19 2005, @04:47PM (#178786)
  • La persona que ataca Irene aparece ser un voyeur perito que maneja ver que tales cosas asombrosas que puedan conducir solamente uno a concluir tienen un talento para snooping más allá del paparazzi más desviado! Sus habilidades se pierden obviamente encendido a solas y deben aplicarse quizá a un periódico del tabloid para el trabajo.
    Podría hacer ciertamente con la rotura de la bilis puerile festering en los postes.
    Satan accepted mine -- Monday September 19 2005, @05:48PM (#178791)
    (User #14277 Info)
  • do you even know where Spain is? i bet you don´t
    gonzax -- Wednesday September 21 2005, @01:54PM (#179057)
    (User #10749 Info)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]