posted by davidt on Monday September 12 2005, @11:00AM
iamragmar writes:
In Clash magazine issue 9 there was an interview with Frank Black on his latest album, but he said this of Morrissey:

Kim Taylor Bennett: You always said you would do a collaboration with Morrissey in a second. Have you ever met him?

Frnk Black:Yeah, I had tea with him. But that'll never happen. I don't think it would be his cup of tea. I said something in some old interview that I didn't like his first solo record. I was just young, talking shit. Apparently he reads all his press and saw that and he wasn't going to work with me. That's what I heard anyway. That's why we were having tea, because this other dude was trying to get us together to write some songs. But I think Morrissey was like "That's the guy who said that thing". I mean he didn't say that to me, he was a perfect gentleman. He had his reasons. I can't blame him. I feel bad. I don't know why I said anything; I don't know what I was talking about! I was probably stoned when I said it.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • How sweet. I don't think he should take it personally though. I think Morrissey is just very suspicious of celebrity collaborations. There's too much of the old pals act about it for him.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 12 2005, @11:21AM (#178157)
  • maybe it dawned on him what a mistake he had made, when he realized he had no career left.
    nonesoever -- Monday September 12 2005, @12:11PM (#178172)
    (User #8448 Info)
    "... turn popular song into sickness"
    • Re:Maybe by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday September 12 2005, @12:57PM
      • Re:Maybe by nonesoever (Score:1) Monday September 12 2005, @01:02PM
        • Re:Maybe by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 13 2005, @08:45AM
          • Re:Maybe by nonesoever (Score:1) Tuesday September 13 2005, @09:33AM
            • Re:Maybe by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 13 2005, @09:39AM
              • Re:Maybe by nonesoever (Score:1) Tuesday September 13 2005, @09:58AM
  • Poor chap. It's well too late now. I LOVE the fact that Morrissey always sticks to his guns and never forgets. Lets face it; He could have ruined his career with all sorts of collaborations and sell-outs but it has never happened. He must have had so many offers to do this and that - but he has never really said yes just in order to gain more popularity. SALUTE!
    shoplifter71 -- Monday September 12 2005, @12:17PM (#178174)
    (User #14228 Info)
  • the guy out of school of rock? can't see it happening anyway.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 12 2005, @01:53PM (#178196)
  • Surfer Rosa is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time.

the thought of seeing frank black and moz share a cup of tea is ALMOST as great as the thought of seeing mark e smith and moz - which is another collaboration that DEFINIETLY wouldn't work, but is very pleasant to think about.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 12 2005, @01:55PM (#178198)
    • Re:yes!! by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday September 12 2005, @04:21PM
  • Imagine Frank's wailing next to Moz's falsetto LOL
    Doolittle ROX
    Anonymous -- Monday September 12 2005, @02:31PM (#178205)
  • Nice guy, at least he knows when he's made a mistake & can admit to it. I'm sure a lot of us have said silly things & regretted it later, at least realises that he insulted a legend & put it down to drugs (always the drugs).

He seems nice though, i'd lend him a couple of CDs so he could listen in sobriety & realise just how wrong he was.
    Keely -- Monday September 12 2005, @03:06PM (#178215)
    (User #13344 Info)
  • Well, I'm a fan of Both and own a version of every song & album either has ever recorded. Frank Black is a very versatile musician / songwriter and I would have loved to hear the amazing music they'd have made together... Ahh, and Frank wanted to do it! Damn. I knew this before but every time I hear it, I really wish they'd go ahead and do it... Morrissey can just write & sing 10 poems.... and Frank will do the rest of the damn work... The only competition for a celebrity collaboration would be that song he did with Siouxsie called "Interlude"... His worst career mistake by far. I hope THAT wasn't the celebrity match-up that turned him off of collaborations. That was just a sappy-as-hell song that belonged as a duet between Kermit and Miss Piggy in "The Muppet Movie"... Don't base your risk-taking on this Morrissey! But really I think, since KILL UNCLE... He just wants to be the boss. In charge of the final product 100%. That's a comfortable place to be. But much less risky which is not neccessarily a good thing creatively ... Ahh well, Enough.

Peace

-Man of Vision
    Anonymous -- Monday September 12 2005, @08:59PM (#178237)
  • I thought music in general was supposed to sound good when one was on drugs, no matter what you were listening to- it would most certainly explain every piece of crap song that came out of the '60s and '70s! Poor old Fat Bastard blew it.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 12 2005, @10:39PM (#178239)
  • I love both but I can't imagine where their middle ground would lie. Not that we'll ever get to hear it but I would have found it interesting.
    I also have difficulty imagining Frank poised with a fine china cup of lapsang souchong- I guess Morrissey was in charge of refreshments
    KenBarlow -- Tuesday September 13 2005, @06:03AM (#178276)
    (User #13803 Info)
    There is no such thing in life as Norman
  • I wonder if Frank Black was the name being thrown around when we were to believe that Moz was to work with another cult figure from the 80s. I know Frank is more late 80s than early but still. Thinking about it now, anyone hear a slight similarity between First Of The Gang To Die and Velouria? Ever so slight LOL!
    Mickey Vegas -- Tuesday September 13 2005, @06:11AM (#178277)
    (User #4389 Info | http://www.myspace.com/ferry76)
  • Hey, Frank Black has had 13 solo albums and I own them all... Sure the last was too country for most fans, but all the others are filled with excellent songs. Don't hold the reunion against him, The Sex Pistols did it as well, for the same reasons. Every band they inspired became either successful or millionaires while they broke up just a little too early. The Pixies were never about appearances. They always looked very different then they sounded. If Frank Black had looked like Kurt Cobain, he would've been called the most important artist of the 1990's ! For Real. Unfortunatly he looks like Divine and therefore remained a Cult Artist. Ah, well.

-MOV
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 13 2005, @09:24AM (#178295)
  • I always thought that Black Francis was a kind of indie rock Morrissey. Maybe mixed with a touch of David Byrne and a dash of, yes, David Bowie. How can you not love the Pixies albums? Pure brilliance and one of the last truly unique bands we will see. They put no limits on their creativity and changed nohting to conform. I also think Frank Black's solo efforts have been strong. You know, I even dug the Breeders too. If you don't know the Pixies work I implore you to catch a trolly to your closest independant music retailer.

That said... I am not sure this would have been the match needed. I think Morrissey would be a better creative match with Siouxsie again (or Nick Cave, Sparks, Stevie Nicks or particularly Carolyn Crawley from Shellyann Orphan fame). Carolyn and Morrisseys voices would blend so well. I can hear how good it would sound. She has the same pasionate expression patterns as Moz but a very light and airy yet strong vocal sound that Morrissey could really smooth into.
    MOZ IS GOD -- Tuesday September 13 2005, @09:59AM (#178302)
    (User #3249 Info | http://www.myspace.com/coldwarspies)
  • I remember once hearing around the time of Your Arsenal that Prince and Morrissey were going to do a collaboration. Good thing that never happened.

The Siouxsie Sioux duet with Morrissey is horrible.

Frank Black is cool, I guess we will never know what could have been.

Anonymous -- Tuesday September 13 2005, @10:01AM (#178303)
  • Frank Black still HAS a career and he's also still a great guitarist.

How refreshing it is to read those honest comments.

Strawberry.

Anonymous -- Tuesday September 13 2005, @10:25AM (#178308)
  • I became a Pixies fan about a year after I became a Smiths fan. I remember seeing the Pixies in 1988 and again in 1991. In the late 80's I had a radio show in Lafayette, Indiana at my high school. Once a month we could play want we wanted. I did an hour and a half show and I divided the music between the Pixies, The Smiths and R.E.M. (old pre-Green R.E.M.). Those were the good old days! As for Frank Black-solo, his first two CDs were classic. 'Frank Black' and 'Teenager of the Year' were great. After that I no longer bought his cds. The same is true for R.E.M. I'd buy a new Smiths cd in a heartbeat... and a new Morrissey cd.
    thetexasbloke
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 13 2005, @04:57PM (#178353)
  • enough said.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 13 2005, @08:58PM (#178361)
  • Did anyone read the title of this thread differently? I thought it was a bit 'phnar phnar'
    kilburn -- Wednesday September 14 2005, @02:19AM (#178371)
    (User #13674 Info)
  • I love the Pixies -- DOOLITTLE is one of the best albums of all time -- but I'm sick of people pinning their ill-advised behaviour on being stoned. I'm so sure! I think if everyone got stoned all the time we'd have a much more peaceful world with people commending good music instead of talking shit. Perhaps our Frank's mistaken judgement stems from jealousy over Morrissey's lyrical accumen. After all, The Pixies wrote undeniably catchy, lovely music but their words don't nearly approach the scope of Morrissey's work.
    DavidBeauy <[email protected]> -- Wednesday September 14 2005, @09:41AM (#178395)
    (User #6009 Info | http://beaurock.net/)
    "When thirteen years old Who dyed his hair gold ? Oh, I know very well, I don't need to be told"
  • Hey I've been coming here for years and never bothered to post my webpage... I'm a Songwriter so why not share the songs. Get them out there and what not. Eight mp3's available for download... Free of course. Morrissey and The Smiths were a big influence, as well as many others... Let me know what you think. They were all done in my home studio, but they turned out pretty good. If you only wanna check out one, go to "In Sight"... The last one, It's very Cure & Tear Garden influenced I guess .... Thank ya. Peace.

www.thepositiveshow.com/dukeroberts.htm

-Man of Vision
    Anonymous -- Wednesday September 14 2005, @12:18PM (#178410)

[ home | terms of service ]