posted by davidt on Friday September 09 2005, @10:00AM
someraincoatedlovers sends the link:

The correct way to burn a Morrissey - The London News Review
September 07, 2005

Excerpt:

Morrissey did one last year, and it was pretty much what you'd have expected: New York Dolls, Ramones, Sparks, Patti Smith, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Ludus, Nico and Klaus Nomi all present and correct. Sure, there are some undiscovered gems, especially the excellent Cajun 'Saturday Night Special' by Lesa Cormier & The Sundown Playboys. But I've only listened to it all the way through about three times, and I'm a Morrissey nut. But now the good folks at Morrissey-solo have digged up a list Mozzer made for the NME in 1989 of "Singles To Be Cremated With". And it's fantastic. Here's the tracklisting:
---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Interesting that none of the songs off the NME list made it onto Under the Influence, then again there is a 15 year gap between the two! I think I'll complile my own list and another in 2020 and compare the two...
    keith_talent -- Friday September 09 2005, @10:07AM (#177784)
    (User #865 Info)
  • damn right!
    xXx_Mrs_Moz_xXx -- Friday September 09 2005, @11:53AM (#177825)
    (User #14395 Info | http://www.camdram.net/shows/06/evening_with_gary_lineker)
    "The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich, Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code & Plato invented the plate"
  • Songs to be with (Score:5, Interesting)

...but not to be cremated with; they’re mostly too full of life for that. Morrissey’s funeral songs would trawl much wider today I’d imagine, and maybe it’s better to hear about ‘songs to save your life’ instead.

Anyway Johnny Rogan figured that Morrissey developed his musical preferences relatively independently, citing a school disco in 1970 when he was 11: “Morrissey, meanwhile, contributed a baffling assortment of singles by Twinkle, Sandie Shaw and his favourite of the moment – Susan Maughan’s 1962 hit, “Bobby’s Girl”. “I assumed that came from Jackie” observed [classmate] Luke, forgetting that Morrissey’s sister would only have been five at the time of the disc’s original release. Even in 1970, Morrissey’s tastes were eclectic and traversed into his parents’ era with no sense of incongruity. His enjoyment of girl singers was constant, but he was aware that even Sandie Shaw had become unfashionable”.

goinghome -- Friday September 09 2005, @12:40PM (#177841)
    (User #12673 Info)
    • Bobby's girl by Anonymous (Score:1) Saturday September 10 2005, @03:38AM
      • Re:Bobby's girl by goinghome (Score:1) Saturday September 10 2005, @12:36PM
  • "Digged" up? Surely they mean "dug"?

Pah.
    Helvissa -- Saturday September 10 2005, @04:43AM (#177916)
    (User #12421 Info | http://www.prettypettythieves.com/)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]