posted by davidt on Monday September 05 2005, @11:00AM
Langworthy writes:
"These Kids Today: A Bit Pop, a Bit Punk" (Free registration required)
This article in the NYTimes focuses on Hilary Duff's music and career but does make mention of her VMA Morrissey namecheck twice, the last of which asks, "what does someone like her know about Morrissey, anyway?"
I thought it aptly applied to the discussion at hand.

Excerpt:

When Ms. Duff made her scripted mistake at the Video Music Awards, she was poking fun at her own lack of credibility: what does someone like her know about Morrissey, anyway? But I think she also knows that in the weird world of teen-punk, simplistic rules of musical credibility don't count for much. And besides, these three songs are much better than most of Good Charlotte's most recent album. Hilary Duff and the Dead Executives? Once, that might have sounded like a lame joke. But now it sounds like a great new band.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Please Stooooooop.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 05 2005, @03:52PM (#177457)
  • Is this writer serious?

The album's first song and current hit is "Wake Up," an infectious, Go-Go's-ish song that splits the difference between pop exuberance and punk petulance. (Or, if you like, pop petulance and punk exuberance; it's getting harder to keep this stuff straight.) "There's people talking, they talk about me," Ms. Duff begins, over an electronic beat, and the lyrics are all about how much fun she is and isn't having. Gesturing at clichés from both punk-rock ("People in motion/ Sick of all the same routines") and dance-pop ("Give me a dance floor/ Give me a D.J."), she can't decide whether she's celebrating night life or complaining about it. And as the guitars build, she keeps returning to that delicious, ambiguous refrain: "Wake up! Wake up!" Is she telling herself to get up and go? Or to look around and stop?

Are they really reading into, and extolling, the lyrics of a Hilary Duff song?!
    dallow_bg <[email protected]> -- Monday September 05 2005, @11:40PM (#177484)
    (User #10559 Info | http://www.dolefulorange.com/)
    "All the people I like are those that are dead."

[ home | terms of service ]