posted by davidt on Monday September 05 2005, @11:00AM
Originally posted by C.W. McCall on the general board (original posts - 1, 2):

After 16 years, the whole thing is complete now. Here are all of the "Singles To Be Cremated With", compiled by Mozzer in an article called "Headful Of Heroes" in the NME of 16 September 1989.
Big thanks to jeane for providing # 5, David T. for putting up # 1 and to dallow_bg and Tingle for their help and support!

...(moved download link - 41MB zip file)

Singles To Be Cremated With:
1. The World's Loneliest Man - Vince Eager
2. Don't Take The Lovers From The World - Shirley Bassey
3. What A Nice Way To Turn 17 - The Crystals
4. There, I've Said It Again - Sam Cooke
5. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets - Dionne Warwick
6. Strange, I Know - The Marvelettes
7. Third Finger, Left Hand - Martha Reeves And The Vandellas
8. I Take It Back - Sandy Posey
9. Heart - Rita Pavone
10. Shoes - Reparata
11. Terry - Twinkle
12. Attack - The Toys
13. I've Been A Bad, Bad Boy - Paul Jones
14. Insult To Injury - Timi Yuro
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • billy joel we didn't start the fire
    kiss heaven's on fire
    johnny cash the ring of fire
    javine touch my fire
    electric light orchestra great balls of fire
    bruce springsteen i'm on fire
    usher let it burn
    dolly parton baby i'm burning
    judas priest burn in hell
    ac/dc highway to hell
    cyndi lauper disco inferno
    irishgirlenglisheart -- Monday September 05 2005, @12:18PM (#177436)
    (User #14606 Info)
  • Anyone else having problems. When I try to unzip, it says file corrupt. Any help would be great. Thanks...
    rebobo -- Monday September 05 2005, @07:28PM (#177474)
    (User #14477 Info)
  • This was highly appreciated.
    Anonymous -- Monday September 05 2005, @09:50PM (#177478)
  • his faves? (Score:1, Interesting)

Aside from the fantastic Sam Cooke, Moz has really crappy taste in music... Or maybe this list is a tongue in cheek joke? Remember when he listed Cornershop's cd as one of his favorites in retaliation for them branding him racist a few years back?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 06 2005, @12:48AM (#177487)
    • Re:his faves? by Stan (Score:1) Tuesday September 06 2005, @01:52AM
      • Re:his faves? by Stan (Score:1) Tuesday September 06 2005, @01:56AM
        • Re:his faves? by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 06 2005, @04:08AM
    • Re:his faves? by Mozzersgirl (Score:1) Tuesday September 06 2005, @07:20AM
      • Re:his faves? by HyldaBaker (Score:1) Tuesday September 06 2005, @12:43PM
  • i can't open the zip file either....any ideas?
    TA!!!!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 06 2005, @04:52AM (#177506)
    • Re:help! by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday September 06 2005, @07:15AM
    • Re:help! by rebobo (Score:1) Wednesday September 07 2005, @09:25AM
  • These are actually great songs. I really love "shoes" by reparata. They also have a great song called, "panic." The songs are short and sweet. Take a second listen to the songs, and you will agree. or you may not.
    sablan <[email protected]> -- Tuesday September 06 2005, @09:59AM (#177537)
    (User #13350 Info)
  • They're not for everybody, but some of these songs are really quite good and very twisted. "Shoes" is genius (it actually sounds like it was written by Sparks)! This list completely falls in line with how Moz talked about pop back in the days of the Smiths. He loved how songs that were under 3 minutes long could be so strange and powerful. But you can also tell that he must have been going through a 50s phase.
    everyday fag -- Tuesday September 06 2005, @12:05PM (#177546)
    (User #14696 Info)
    • Re:love it by Barnaby Bear (Score:1) Wednesday September 07 2005, @12:12AM
      • Re:love it by everyday fag (Score:1) Wednesday September 07 2005, @07:22AM
  • It does sound a bit Sparksy, but it also seems to have inspired 'A Rush And A Push'.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 06 2005, @03:45PM (#177570)
  • A man of his time (Score:2, Insightful)

I am baffled at the flak that this list seems to attract. As someone 8 years behind Morrissey, and remembering all to well the joys of Radio 2 back in the 70's, this bought memories flooding back. It is touching to see that he has not lost his love of that oh so English, Ersatz Larry Parnes 50's pop, which must obviously reflect the musical influences that his mum passed onto him. Even so, for all his Sparks and Bolan posturing, Moz was much more of a creature of his times than we give him credit - torch song Northern and youth club Motown abounds - I can see him now, in his Tonik strides and button down shirt. While this can meander into the high camp or maudlin, well...knowing Morrissey, as we do, is that really so strange? I am just itching now for Volume 2 - Billy Fury? Johnny Nash? Petula Clark?
    Popside Aggro -- Tuesday September 06 2005, @04:12PM (#177572)
    (User #14426 Info)
    You're a big man, but you're out of shape...
  • I find it amusing that some folks think the music on this list is terrible considering the melodies and arrangements have been mirrored in Morrisseys work in the past. Although some of the lyrical content can be dismissed as trite or schmaltzy, I don't think it would be a stretch to say it's almost signature for Morrissey to turn this type of lyric and sentiment on its head via wit, sarcasm or other artistic device. I'm convinced the man creates music he enjoys, and THIS IS the music he enjoys!
    In a way, I think that it's painfully obvious.
    Barnaby Bear -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @12:02AM (#177585)
    (User #11715 Info)
  • Thanks for all the effort of compiling this. I really love these Moz selected compilations. The NME CD from last year was fantastic and "Morrissey Under the Influence" I have played continually.

Of course these tunes aren't from the latest greatest hot band of the moment, but they all strike a chord with me. I have an ear and taste for Morrissey's own music. I can appreciate the tunes on this compilation because they operate on a similar, not the same, but similar wavelength to Moz's own work. I don't like these tunes just because Moz picked them but because they work in a way that I appreciate musically.
    Auric Goldfinger -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @01:26AM (#177592)
    (User #3416 Info)
    Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?
  • can anyone help please
    Anonymous -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @02:28AM (#177595)
  • i dont know ANY of these songs
    why doesnt moz listen to franz ferdinand and the killers like me?
    ** cue thousands of replies saying "because they're shit **
    xXx_Mrs_Moz_xXx -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @02:40AM (#177597)
    (User #14395 Info | http://www.camdram.net/shows/06/evening_with_gary_lineker)
    "The Earl of Sandwich invented the sandwich, Samuel Morse invented the Morse Code & Plato invented the plate"
  • All those songs are truly dreadful Morrissey has the worst taste in music, I always think the fact that he was involved in something as good as The Smiths must have been a fluke.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @08:50AM (#177607)
  • Remember when the "Under The Influence" cd came out in 2003? There was lots of the same reactions this list has, but "Under The Influence" actually had less cheesy tunes that can warrant more than a passing curiosity after a couple listens. I happen to enjoy "UTI" quite often -now THAT'S an eclectic mix that works!
    Anonymous -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @10:06AM (#177613)
  • I luv all being introduced to these great songs from the past - Thanks to everyone for putting these together.
    Smiths <reversethis-{moc ... a} {2eporhtdniw}> -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @10:17AM (#177616)
    (User #215 Info)
  • release dates (Score:1, Informative)

There seems to be some confusion concerning the dates of these records. Here are the release dates:
    1. The World's Loneliest Man - Vince Eager 1961
    2. Don't Take The Lovers From The World - Shirley Bassey1966
    3. What A Nice Way To Turn 17 - The Crystals 1962
    4. There, I've Said It Again - Sam Cooke 1959
    5. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets - Dionne Warwick 1970
    6. Strange, I Know - The Marvelettes 1962
    7. Third Finger, Left Hand - Martha Reeves And The Vandellas 1967
    8. I Take It Back - Sandy Posey 1967
    9. Heart - Rita Pavone 1966
    10. Shoes - Reparata 1975
    11. Terry - Twinkle 1964
    12. Attack - The Toys 1966
    13. I've Been A Bad, Bad Boy - Paul Jones 1967
    14. Insult To Injury - Timi Yuro 1962

C.W. McCall
    Anonymous -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @10:37AM (#177619)
  • The songs they used to sing were vibrant and full of soul.
    I have their "Greatest hits" compilation, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys 60's music.
    I played it a million times in the last five years.

I didn't grow up listening to the type of music on this list (thanks to whoever uploaded it, though), but I was a teenage in the 90's listening to 50's 60's and 70's rock while other kids were into Guns 'N' Roses, Metallica and U2...

lg -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @06:52PM (#177662)
    (User #12253 Info)
    Friendship is the Love that never dies.
  • and my favourite has to be first one.

I had not heard of Vince Eager but I really loved this song. I could just imagine Moz covering it. I do hope he does!. Hearing songs like this help you to understand his influences and how they have helped carve his own sound.

There is a great site on Vince Eager... suprisingly called http://www.vinceeager.co.uk/ [vinceeager.co.uk]!.

There is no mention of the song, so I presume it was an album track ?. Can anyone confirm ???....
    Missing Link -- Wednesday September 07 2005, @11:52PM (#177669)
    (User #3503 Info)
  • "Golden Lights" was originally by Twinkle as well, he always was obsessed by 60s girlie stuff.
    Never heard "Terry" though and will have to obtain :)
    Mozster -- Thursday September 08 2005, @05:41AM (#177687)
    (User #6823 Info)
    Ready with ready wit, still running round................
  • With the help of my friendly local internet café assistant and broadband, I eventually downloaded this charming farrago to CD. Is there a sense of sisterly influence, in which his mother with her youthful outlook, could be included, here?! They’re basically a bunch of straight-up un-cynical soul and love songs, a breath of fresh air. I think there’s only one or two - Timi Yuro at least- that overlapped with his list on that radio interview in about 1984. Klaus Nomi isn’t here but was in both radio interview and UTI, which is closer to where Morrissey’s music is at, although I remember being initially perplexed also on hearing about his devotion to the New York Dolls, and other superficially raucous bands like the Ramones. Eclectic his taste is (as Yoda might say!), yet he delivers a unique sound, bringing dynamics beyond pop music e.g. so much literature, social commentary, into his compositions, all inter-swirling spaciously at the estuary of his oceanic voice and showmanship!
    Appreciated!
    goinghome -- Thursday September 08 2005, @12:37PM (#177715)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • THANK YOU! I'm so glad someone else shares the same opinion.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday September 06 2005, @09:07AM (#177530)
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]