posted by davidt on Tuesday August 16 2005, @10:00AM
Belligerent Ghoul sends the link:

Why the great rock'n'roll novel is so elusive

Excerpt:

These days, novelists (especially fortysomething ones) take Mark E Smith and Morrissey as [sic] least as seriously as they do Julian Barnes. So how come the great rock'n'roll novel is as elusive as ever? D J Taylor has a theory...

...As befits a novel concerned with post-adolescent angst, The Dwarves of Death comes saturated in Morrissey quotes. Joel Lane's descriptions (a boy with a fringe so floppy that it "could get him signed to Creation Records") are practically sociological in their minute accuracy....
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • i can tell you why (Score:2, Interesting)

even articles dissecting rock n roll novels leave me cross-eyed.

most of those books suffer from the overwhelming desire not to be shot down by the hipsters who think they know everything.

willy russell got his book right and because he wrote from the point of view of a fan. that's what journalists are. they don't make music. if they do make music, they probably have a crappy little bar band that pays for tips.
    suzanne -- Tuesday August 16 2005, @11:17AM (#175403)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • mark e smith is god. good to hear him and morrissey mentioned alongside each other.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday August 16 2005, @12:50PM (#175416)
    • Re:fall by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday August 17 2005, @01:31AM
      • Re:fall by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday August 19 2005, @08:46PM
  • That article gave me a headache.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday August 16 2005, @01:47PM (#175423)
    • Re:Unreadable by suzanne (Score:1) Tuesday August 16 2005, @02:11PM
    • Re:Unreadable (Score:2, Interesting)

Ditto here.

Although, Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity" can be considered a "Rock" novel. It all depends on how you define "Rock Novel." Is it a Soap Opera involving the day to day grind of some anonymous Rock Star or is it a book in which music plays in integral part in the storytelling (as w/ High Fidelity)?

As for movies, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is definitely a must-see.
      mg196 -- Tuesday August 16 2005, @09:13PM (#175485)
      (User #13031 Info)
      GG Allin saved my soul.
      • Re:Unreadable by Hello Indie (Score:1) Wednesday August 17 2005, @10:33AM
        • Re:Unreadable by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 18 2005, @01:51PM
  • Joel Lane is fab! I can't wait to read his next novel.

His last one, The Blue Mask, had a description of someone "looking like a cross between Morrissey and Johnny Marr." Unfortunately, it's a fictional character.

But yes, do go and read his novels. They're set in Birmingham and have thriller elements, and... well... yes... I must stop being all fannish about him now.
    Helvissa -- Wednesday August 17 2005, @07:18AM (#175517)
    (User #12421 Info | http://www.prettypettythieves.com/)
  • Read Read Read (Score:2, Interesting)

Julian Barnes 'A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters'. The link is tenuous I know, and it's not rock 'n' roll, but I studied it at uni and I can't recommend it enough.
    Easily the best modern novel I've read, and probably one of THE best behind 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' and 'Our Mutual Friend'.
    Now I'm just off to be shot for mentioning Barnes in the same breath as Wilde and Dickens.
    Mozzersgirl -- Wednesday August 17 2005, @08:10AM (#175520)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • After reading D J Taylor's article on post-punk bands that sparkled novels, my feeling is that I have to dig more into the matter of why, having spent my early adulthood deeply immersed in the sound of the 80's Brit-post-punk move, this move, which is also very heavily social, didn't spawn a significant number of female bands during that time. Since written transgenderilism is so normally represented by "womens writings", with the astounding exceptions of Oscar Wilde, AndrĂ© Gide, Proust, it is generally confused with feminism. The post-punk rock period is intertwined with...the celebration of "femininity" in men? Why did this kind of celebration prevail? I feel women have left themselves out during this period. There was only a very frugal form of pop feminism - Madonna, striking those techno-testosteronic poses, offering herself as one of the few models for the era: a post-dated ressurection of Marilyn Monroe. And she believed she was guiding us towards sexual liberation. I will as soon as I can catch up with "Blue Masks" and see why it treats male fragility (and not fragility in no matter what gender) and its need for post-punk pop music. And I will respect it, with all its socio-psychological description of an actual phenomena: bands were mostly made by men. But there were Morrissettes in that period too! Madonna encapsuled a society that made the image of an introspective and shy woman, that yet may have needed a band to come forth, a living hell of shame. Naturally the Smiths became my catharsis, and Madonna's poses my idea of comic release. The only turn-off for me in Morrissey's lyrics (during the days I feverishly clung to the Smiths, preferring him to Bananarama, to Paula Abdul or almost all others, with a couple of exceptions(sigh)), was the fact that the line "I've lost my faith in womanhood" became a crushing anathema of sadistic womanhood. I used to revert it, of couse, to "manhood" whenever I could! And, oh! by the way, I don't want to get too personal, but I was also penalized for being so literary, rough edged and shy, and I wore also, even before the Smiths, a pair of old jeans and those romantic shirts also. But a novel with a British set might straighten out any romantic distortions I may have made during that time...
    Mrs. Woolf -- Friday August 19 2005, @06:17PM (#175855)
    (User #14157 Info)
    • Re:Everything but the girls... by goinghome (Score:1) Sunday August 21 2005, @02:03PM
      • Re:Everything but the girls... by Mrs. Woolf (Score:1) Sunday August 21 2005, @05:37PM
        • Re:Everything but the girls... by J. Razor (Score:1) Monday August 22 2005, @10:40AM
        • Re:Everything but the girls... by goinghome (Score:1) Monday August 22 2005, @12:44PM
          • Re:Everything but the girls... by Mrs. Woolf (Score:1) Monday August 22 2005, @06:22PM
            • I agree that the tabloids mirror aspects of humanity and sometimes also, despite the shoddy aims, raise spectres that need an airing. I'd imagine they'd be quite eager to hear about your discovery of 16 different genders!

You pretty much answered my point about Virginia in that her fate was sealed. She might have fared much better a few decades later, feeling that more options were available, and more assistance. Yet, in stubbornly refusing to be a conventional 'crushing bore' and in sharing her original vision with the world, she cleared a path and indeed ranks as someone who opened the gate for an easier route for others. Indeed not a mass production!

Here's a piece from one of Morrissey's interviews that has similarities, about providing a voice in the pop wilderness to identify with, and his views on suicide and mortality. Can we assume a down-to-earth approach to the ageing question there too? We might agree that he experienced fewer external controls than Mrs Woolf, which he seemed aware of himself: "I think people can recognize the integrity of the group," says Morrissey. "I'm quite determined that we'll never lose it. Not as long as I'm holding the reins."

Enjoy (again!), and blessings!

From HotPress Interview 1984
              Morrissey:"Too many pop stars are not good figureheads. Young people need figureheads, I know I do, and popular music is the only thing left for them. They don't read books, they don't believe in movies. Popular music is all there is, and too many pop stars are shallow and worthless as figureheads, or else content to be obscure and mysterious. We would never be obscure, we could never be obscure, because I use very fundamental language in my lyrics. I use very simplistic words, but hopefully in quite a powerful way. And by that I mean saying things that people in daily life find so very hard to say, like 'I don't want a job,' 'I don't want to be loved,' or 'I am ugly.' I mean things that are really quite simple words but things that people can never really say. I mean if you say to your friends or to your parents 'I am very unhappy' it's like scraping open nerves... it's too close and it just can't be said. So I want to say these things instead of being very esoterical and other worldly and mysterious, because I think it's more effective and... I don't think it's ever been said in popular music. I really don't."
              So if you are a figurehead, what are you a figurehead for?
              "It's quite curious but I seem to get masses of letters, people writing to me telling me their problems. They write telling me of trouble they're having at school, or in love or with their parents, or saying they identify with some song. It seems as though people who have quite difficult lives see me as some kind of a kindred spirit, or a person who has some of the answers which of course isn't true. But, ehm, it's much more interesting than just simply the usual fan letters where they just want to know what size shoes you take. So it's quite curious but I do get the impression people treat me quite seriously instead of just being a popular figure, a nonsensical pop star, which of course, I wouldn't want to be."
              Do you answer these letters?
              "Religiously, every day. Of course you have to be careful, and sometimes it's important not to take them seriously. I get suicide letters which you never really know how to deal with. It would be laughable to suggest you could solve anyone's problems with a scribbled note on the back of a postcard."
              It seems you're being cast in the role of agony aunt to a new generation! As someone who seems to feel your lot in life is an unhappy one, what qualifies you to advise others?
              "I can't think of anyone more qualified (laughs). I've been through it and I understand it. I don't think a happy person could ever really understand it, they think you'll grow out of it. Unhappiness is too deeply ingrained just to be solved by getting a mere job or having a whirlwind romance. But I think what you can do is just simply learn to cope with it and learn to master it on a
              goinghome -- Tuesday August 23 2005, @01:31PM (#176147)
              (User #12673 Info)
  • I've met Joel Lane, and very charming he is, too. He is actually part of a literary horror scene, also au fait with indie rock aesthetics and politics, that include the like of Quentin S. Crisp and Mark Samuels.

Joel Lane:

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/no-future/events/fiction.htm/ [wlv.ac.uk]

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Joel_Lan e.htm/ [fantasticfiction.co.uk]

Mark Samuels:

http://homepages.pavilion.co.uk/users/tartarus/sam uels.htm/ [pavilion.co.uk]

Quentin S. Crisp:

http://my.opera.com/quentinscrisp/journal/ [opera.com]

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shocklines/rudicobqucr b.html/ [yahoo.com]

boredhousewife -- Sunday August 21 2005, @11:02AM (#175991)
    (User #13144 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]