posted by davidt on Wednesday August 10 2005, @10:00AM
Belligerent Ghoul send the link:

Maynard's Malaise - The Smiths - ABC Newcastle, includes audio feature "These Charming Men"

Think you're depressed? Things could be worse, it could be raining, it could be the 1980's and you could be Morrissey...
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • sorry, can't take the twat seriously if he can't spell the man's name correctly.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @11:52AM (#174634)
    • Re:coño by chrisarclark (Score:1) Wednesday August 10 2005, @12:51PM
    • Re:malaise by goinghome (Score:1) Wednesday August 10 2005, @01:09PM
  • interesting enough was his upbeat voice (I didn't capture his name) saying with with a tone of such excessive confidence that most people overcome their Morrissey phase (when teenagers? I can't remember it all) except Morrissey. Little wonder why Morrissey moved over to LA...which, by the way, was his way of shedding his younger self. I know a friend who, a big Smiths fan in his past, refused last year to buy the Mojo that contained a huge interview with Morrissey, only to be totally swept off his feet when he listened to "Irish Blood, English Heart" playing from an independent radio station in his car. He told me he was astounded with Morrissey's political conscience, and how The Quarry proved wrong the notion that Morrissey's music is suitable/linkable to transitory moments we go through as teens. I felt uncomfortable listening to this radio presentator's statement, as it seems he was going beyond mocking Morrissey or the Smiths, he was, even if praising the group's and the singer's uniqueness, speaking as if he was entirely alienated from it. I guess people are different (of course), but what was supposed to probably laudatory to the Smiths was subtlely humiliating, as if telling the listener, "if you still like Morrissey, then you are unbalanced, eg. mentally a teenager. But we can still be indulgent with you anyway, because, after all, you embraced some kind of style (strangeness) anyway..." I am not attacking this guy, just expressing how I felt about it. I not even offended, just slightly shocked to this awkward kind of tribute to the Smiths...

I don't need to say here Moz is an ideologist, and all ideologists are commonly interpreted as immature, but, there, I said it. I think that commentator, by the way, if he had a clearer mind, would quit his profession, and become a businessman or an accountant. Oh, but why, silly me, if he already is the O'Riley of the music world...

Mrs. Woolf -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @06:00PM (#174726)
    (User #14157 Info)
  • banging on about how Morrissey and The Smiths are / were depressing, I'll depress them with my foot.
    Morrissey has never been any more depressed than the rest of us; he's simply a deep thinker with an astonishingly accurate outlook on the human race. That's not depression, it's (un)healthy cynicism.
    The problem with most journos and musicians is jealousy. They witness someone who's infinitely more intelligent and talented than they'll ever be and they have to write him off disparagingly (and ok, this was a complimentary piece, but it's complimentary with a shifty elbow in the ribs)
    Besides, the 'D' word gets bandied about too much these days, which trivialises the condition. As an open question to anyone who does think Moz or The Smiths were depressing: Have you ever witnessed real depression? There's no way the man we love would ever have written or be capable of writing those lyrics (some of which are hilarious) had he been truly suffering.
    Mozzersgirl -- Thursday August 11 2005, @04:05AM (#174783)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • what's all this he writes about getting over a Smiths/Morrissey PHASE??? Personally pretty much every other musician/songwriter comes and goes APART from Morrissey for me. Sure there are times when I'm not so enamoured with the guy, this summer for one, but he always comes back. It's not an adolescent fantasy, smothered in self-pity you know. What a very narrow view from someone who hasn't really listened at all.

Colette -- Thursday August 11 2005, @04:46AM (#174789)
    (User #13384 Info)
    Pleasure for beautiful bodies. Pain for beautiful souls.
  • This guy Maynard is from my hometown in Australia. I used to talk to him occasionally at the once legendary (by Newcastle standards) Castanet Club.
    Many people thought this guy very funny, but I was never convinced.... now we have written evidence. Yyyyyaaaaawwwwnnnn.

Osakaglen -- Thursday August 11 2005, @07:01AM (#174798)
    (User #5882 Info)
    "If you ever need self-validation, just meet me in the alley by the railway station..."

[ home | terms of service ]