posted by davidt on Wednesday August 10 2005, @10:00AM
dazzak writes:
The current issue of Uncut (with Keith Richards and Paul McCartney on the cover) features both Johnny Marr and Noel Gallagher contributing to a list of their favourite things. Johnny chooses The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" to praise while Noel chooses "This Charming Man". He also mentions how he saw Moz live in Australia last year and that records like Hatful Of Hollow aren't made anymore.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Somrbody call the Fire Engine to pull Noel Gallagher out of Johnny Marr's arse !!, he tries to be so badly like him, The Hair, The Sunglasses, The Attitude.

By all means please respect the music of Mr. Marr, but don't try to be the double of him Mr. Gallagher.
    Hello Indie -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @12:57PM (#174658)
    (User #13749 Info | http://somedizzywhore.com/)
    Somedizzywhore.com offers free jars of beetroot for the elderly.
  • I'm somewhat confused. When exactly did Moz play Australia "last year". The last time he was here was '03 I think.
    Supermercado -- Thursday August 11 2005, @12:24AM (#174764)
    (User #14274 Info | http://supermercado.tv/)
  • I know Noel gallagher has always praised The Smiths and he has used the "I seen Johnny Marr on top of the pops and wanted to be him" thing a few times, but it often seems that whoever he is with curry's the flavour of what his favourite music has always been.

For example, when Mojo magazine compiled their best 100 singles ever, Noel compiled his own top ten and their was not a Smiths or even Moz single amongst the ten he picked. He did manage to say that 'That joke isn't funny anymore' was the next best but it was not in the top ten.

I am glad that they do salute both Moz and The Smiths, but a bit of consistency towards them would go along way. He and Liam always provide it, deservedly so, for Lennon and The Beatles and leave you with no doubts that they are completely influenced by them, but with The Smiths, it appears they suffer ups and downs.

I bet he would not have picked 'This charming man' or anything else if Johnny Marr would not have been in the same issue.
    Jacknife Johnny -- Thursday August 11 2005, @08:14AM (#174806)
    (User #12307 Info)
  • ...of the Smiths and Marr , but of course is also a friend of Johnny Marr, to the point where when Noel first moved down to London he apparently stayed at Marr's Fulham flat and the brilliant 'Slide Away ' was written on a guitar Marr had just given him.So I dont think theres any point in denying he's a fan.
    jehova's witless -- Saturday August 13 2005, @03:56AM (#175095)
    (User #13345 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]