posted by davidt on Wednesday August 10 2005, @10:00AM
Stephane writes:
Last week-end on musical channel VH2 took place the "100 best indie songs ever" countdown.

Please note "How soon is now ?" ended n.20, "Suedehead" reached top 10 and "There is a light...", obviously, finished on the pole position.

Among the bands quoted were Blur, Pixies, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Strokes etc....
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Wel Morrissey did invent Indie music, or if you prefere ' The Smiths' so I think that it's corect that they should be top of the list.

Anyway they were number one last time.
    Hello Indie -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @10:41AM (#174610)
    (User #13749 Info | http://somedizzywhore.com/)
    Somedizzywhore.com offers free jars of beetroot for the elderly.
    • Re:Indie (Score:2, Funny)

Morrissey invented "indie" music, did he ?
      I forgot about that, as well as him inventing the light bulb and the video recorder.

Maybe that's what he was doing from 97 to 04, sitting in his little workshop, late into the night, soldering and welding.

I hear he's got a patent for a thing called the i-pod. It'll never catch on.
      Anonymous -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @06:45PM (#174737)
      • Re:Indie by Keely (Score:1) Thursday August 11 2005, @01:14AM
    • Re:Indie (Score:2, Insightful)

What about THE VELVET UNDERGROUND then?
      Opolus -- Thursday August 11 2005, @12:01AM (#174762)
      (User #5987 Info)
      "Slit my eyes, for they'll remember..."
    • Re:Indie by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday August 22 2005, @06:48AM
  • Several other Smiths/Morrissey songs were featured lower in the chart, including 'What Difference Does It Make?' and 'Last of the Famous International Playboys'.
    It seems that VH2 are rather partial to the man.

Their chart season is well worth killing some time over, incidentally. No doubt Moz will feature further in another countdown.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @10:57AM (#174617)
    • Tunes like ... (Score:3, Informative)

Tunes like Alma Matters, Last Of The Famous Interntional Playboys and I'm also quite sure that What Difference Does Make? and Charming Man were featured on the countdown.

And on the Indie 500 Countdown, Morrissey via The Smiths were non-stop. This is very good though, better than Chaz and Dave, ( I can't belive that they have been classed as ' Indie ' just because they got coverage in NME and played Glastonbury).
      Hello Indie -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @11:28AM (#174624)
  • All kneel (Score:3, Interesting)

"There Is A Light..." #1 in VH2 '100 best indie songs ever'"

And so it should be.

Melodrama, Englishness, euphoria and good old fashioned despair, all rolled into one song; you could build a novel around it.
    Mozzersgirl -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @12:33PM (#174642)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • Top of the Pops! (Score:2, Interesting)

I'm hearing The Smiths songs fairly regularly on the radio now. All this recognition is nice. There's a cover of "Please please please" by newbie Holly Miranda which is currently no. 2 on the little charts run by 'I’m Gifted', an online music promoter dedicated to removing the barriers between the music industry and unsigned artists. To listen, go to : www.imgifted.co.uk/Holly_Miranda

goinghome -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @12:42PM (#174644)
    (User #12673 Info)
    • Janice Long by Hello Indie (Score:1) Wednesday August 10 2005, @12:49PM
      • Re:Janice Long by goinghome (Score:1) Thursday August 11 2005, @02:24PM
  • ha! (Score:1, Interesting)

I'll have you know I reported this the first time it happened last year. (-1, Redundant).
    Ben Budd -- Wednesday August 10 2005, @02:13PM (#174679)
    (User #9454 Info)
  • Yesterday walked into the Co-Op (fair trade man that I am) and "there Is A Light" was being played as the background music.

Then I went to the gym and someone was wearing a Smiths "Queen Is Dead" t-shirt

And then someone in the pub last night was wearing Smiths "Hatful of Hollow" one

WTF? I never knew any Smiths fans when I was a lad.

I smell a reunion
    BLUEBIRDS
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 11 2005, @01:04AM (#174766)
    • Bluebirds I couldn't agree with your comment more!, yesterday I was stood in the bakers and I was wearing my Hateful Of Hollow t-shirt, and this girl, typical modern day teenager, suddenly rips off her Greenday hoody and unvails a Queen Is Dead t-shirt !!, and the best bit of it was ... this girls sister used to bully me for being a Smiths fan !. It angers me, but it's just not right!!, I've always worn a Morrissey or Smiths inflicted t-shirt and now because some stupid little McFly-teenybopper has watched too much MTV2-NME Chartshow and seen one of the whores that presents the show wearing one, she thinks it's alright that she wears one !!!!.

But then again don't all Indie-kids get angry whenever they see somebody trespassing on their clothing and music taste, I do, I'm not going to lie, because at them end of the day, they spend their lives turting people that are differentand then there they are!, supporting a Smiths t-shirt, or a Stone Roses, or an Inspiral Carpets t-shirt.

I go on for days but I'm boring you all now. And they are welcome to Greenday, Coldplay, The Killers and Kaiser Cheifs.
      Hello Indie -- Thursday August 11 2005, @06:58AM (#174797)
    • Re:Smiths everywhere (and just not the phone book) by mrRoboto (Score:1) Saturday August 13 2005, @06:07AM

[ home | terms of service ]