posted by davidt on Thursday August 04 2005, @11:00AM
An anonymous person writes:
From A Chain Of Flowers news

August 1 - From an article in "Zone 09":

Godfathers of Goth

Besides Masters of Melancholy and Kings of Doom and Gloom one of the often used nicknames for The Cure, albeit Smith himself doesn’t like it: “I’m tired to be known as a doomy goth casualty.” Also: “The press tries to portray me as a gloom-and-doom-singer. But take a look at Morrissey ( note: and here we go again… )! That man is a professional complainer!”
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Not only is he a complainer, he is a liar and a greedy selfish vegitarian
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @11:02AM (#173866)
  • I guess at least he doesn't dress like he pretends he's a vampire..
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @11:05AM (#173867)
  • Robert Smith is a professional PIG and needs to lose weight! Morrissey looks darn good for his age. Robert needs to join a gym (maybe he doesn't because he fears his makeup will run?)
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @11:13AM (#173870)
  • Now there is a band that should be laid to rest for GOOD! The Cure are a parody of what they once were and Robert Smith's voice has always been the most irritating I can think of! I never got the "Look, I've smeared lipstick all over my face and I' doing this aloof goth dance" thing.
    shoplifter71 -- Thursday August 04 2005, @11:29AM (#173877)
    (User #14228 Info)
  • Jesus... (Score:2, Funny)

As much as I like The Cure (or their earlier work, anyway), at least Morrissey has had the common sense to change his look in the last 25 years. Robert, you cannot carry on dressing the same way you did in the early 80s! YOU ARE ACTUALLY QUITE FAT NOW, IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD.
    fishnet_monkey -- Thursday August 04 2005, @11:43AM (#173881)
    (User #12209 Info | http://officefurniture.livejournal.com/)
    "But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore, no, we cannot cling to those dreams..."
    • Re:Jesus... by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 04 2005, @03:18PM
    • Re:Jesus... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday August 05 2005, @03:50AM
      • Re:Jesus... by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday August 05 2005, @07:37AM
      • Re:Jesus... by fishnet_monkey (Score:1) Sunday August 07 2005, @02:33PM
  • How weak and cowardly to caricature and drag Morrissey into a question where Robert is too lazy to speak up for himself!

I do think though they were very original. Also a friend of mine from Essex told me a few days ago that his old pal 'Bela', had just joined The Cure, which is interesting now in light of the announcement that 2 members have recently been dismissed, summarily or otherwise.
    goinghome -- Thursday August 04 2005, @11:44AM (#173883)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • He can't help mentioning Morrissey in interviews can he? The jealousy is obviously eating him up.

When's the last time Morrissey mentioned him or was asked by a journalist about him? It very rarely happens because Robert Smith is an irrelevancy to Morrissey.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @12:23PM (#173895)
    • So true. Even if the interviewer had asked Smith about Morrissey, his comment still would have been arbitrary and catty, but it really comes across as if he was determined to bash Morrissey in the interview and was just looking for an opening in which to do it.

It's pretty hard to believe that Robert Smith continues to be so obsessed with Morrissey--hasn't he learned, after more than 25 years in the public eye, that it just makes him look pathetic?

Not to mention his incredibly tired insinuation that Morrissey is a "miserablist!" I think he knows better. That crap is what started their whole "feud" in the first place--he made almost this exact same comment in the 80s and started it all. So Morrissey gave his stinging rebukes, got it out of his system, and promptly got over it.

Robert just needs to get over it already, and stop with his embarrasing aggressive insecurity. A lot of Morrissey/Smiths fans really like the Cure, and I'm one of them. But Robert Smith is no Morrissey.
      glamorous shoplifter -- Thursday August 04 2005, @01:31PM (#173914)
      (User #14493 Info)
  • if you're going to do something you might as well be a pro at it, even complaining. Take for instance myself, im a professional masturbator and drinker of wine.
    Mr Smith chooses to be larger in size and he is very good at.
    Lord Henry Wotton -- Thursday August 04 2005, @12:43PM (#173901)
    (User #2475 Info)
  • What does Morrissey complain about? The Cure are not in the same league at all. It's very irritating when Morrissey/ The Smiths often get lumped with the same "80's Goth Post-punk" cliche. They were exactly the opposite and truly unique to their peers.
    shoplifter71 -- Thursday August 04 2005, @12:55PM (#173903)
    (User #14228 Info)
  • Still jumping someone elses train. Is this revenge for "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice?"
    PerfectlyWretched -- Thursday August 04 2005, @01:02PM (#173904)
    (User #9140 Info)
  • Very sad to see Robert Smith doing exactly what he is saying Morrissey does...COMPLAIN! Boo-Hoo-Hoo! Stop whining and put out a decent album the LAST Cure Album was complete crap....Moz's b-sides stomped all over Robert Smith's latest "effort".

POPBITCHSLAP
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @01:59PM (#173917)
  • robert smith needs to find a *cure* for his own brand of whinging and stop pointing his fat fingers at others.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @02:41PM (#173924)
  • what won't you say?
    ProtestSinger -- Thursday August 04 2005, @03:09PM (#173933)
    (User #7285 Info)
    .*.* I can smile about it now but at the time it was terrible *.*.
  • are you fucking kidding me? hahah

robert smith is one million times more of a whiney cunt than morrissey. morrissey doesn't complain, he observes and uses his wit to turn something that would ordinarily be very morbid and sad to dwell on into something that i can smile about.

robert smith is just a fat talentless old woman.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @04:01PM (#173947)
  • i'd take fat bob anyday over a closeted fag.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @05:37PM (#173958)
    • Re:yea. by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 04 2005, @06:38PM
      • Re:yea. by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 04 2005, @08:25PM
        • Re:yea. by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday August 04 2005, @10:16PM
        • Re:yea. by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday August 06 2005, @01:57PM
  • silly old man with his mascara and his fender guitar (i think )
    countwarning -- Thursday August 04 2005, @08:05PM (#173974)
    (User #10233 Info)
  • Would those of you slamming the band the Cure get over it.

Robert Smith is amazing and the Cure are a monumental band. They were the 80's generation's Pink Floyd. Recently Porl Thompson came back to the band and he was a force behind the Cure's best albums (Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, Disintigration, Wish). I think we can expect great things to come on the next few albums. Porl is a master. Let me put it this was...as soon as he left the Cure half of Led Zeppelin recruited him...he's that good.

Besides...we all know this is an inside joke between Moz and Robert. They are friends. This is to gather press. It's a classic among music marketing schemes. All press is great press. This gave both artists a bit of press.
    MOZ IS GOD -- Thursday August 04 2005, @08:22PM (#173977)
    (User #3249 Info | http://www.myspace.com/coldwarspies)
  • To those who hold up Disintegration as the reason for arguing against Morrissey's comparitive catalog ... Well, it is a great album, but it was released around the time of Strangeways and Viva Hate, which are equally great albums depending on your mood. I guess I love Disintegration too much to say anything negative about it. Plus Robert writes the music too. There's a hell of alot to be said for that. Damn I hate having to be fair !

Of course I prefer Morrissey ... and I even liked the new Cure album... It's just a grower ... Of course I only listened to it 3 times and Quarry 300.... Ahhhh

-Man of Vision

PS - Who cares about being tubby .... Food is good !!!
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @08:59PM (#173986)
  • HA!Here we go , Widow Twankey's at it again!
    i suppose its the only way lard arse can buy himself column inches these days, since everyone woke up to the fact the Cure are wank and stopped buying their aural shite.
    Robert, do us all a favour, fuck off and eat yourself to death!!
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @11:46PM (#173994)
  • Personally, I'd back Smith, with his weight advantage and generally being either pissed or drugged-up to the eyeballs, its unlikely anything Mozza throw could do would hurt him.

Then again, Moz obviously has better reach, and is more fleet of foot, so its going to be a close one.
    Anonymous -- Friday August 05 2005, @05:26AM (#174025)
  • Robert Smith SUCKS! Sure, the Cure was good in the 80's and some of their stuff in the early 90's was ok. Where are they now? They suck and they are a bunch of has-beens. Their last CD sure didn't sell as well as 'YATQ' and I don't think they ever had four top ten singles off of one CD. And what's with the makeup, Robert? Get a life!
    thetexasbloke
    Anonymous -- Friday August 05 2005, @06:54AM (#174038)
  • I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that Morrissey's love of Robert Smith's early writing is why he named The Smiths after his last name! Just think, he could have used his first name instead? I wonder if they would have sold as many records under the name The Roberts? {Talk amongst yourselves}
    Paneeks -- Friday August 05 2005, @07:03AM (#174040)
    (User #13051 Info)
    "A beach is a place where a man can feel, its the only soul in the world thats real".

• One thing about the Cure is that they will never break up. The band might just come to an end, but they will never break up.

And The Smiths, well... they will never reunite.

Ever.
    palare -- Friday August 05 2005, @08:10AM (#174051)
    (User #152 Info | http://worldofabrahan.com/)
    where the world's ugliest boy became what you see...
  • I do favor Morrissey/Smiths over The Cure/Robert Smith, but one thing that the Cure does have that no matter how much Morrissey may deny that he wouldn't prefer to have, is that The Cure are a lot more well known and recognizable in the US than he is. But Morrissey's new material is still quality listening, where the Cure's probably isn't. They love to fight with each other, so let them.
    Anonymous -- Friday August 05 2005, @08:19AM (#174053)
  • Stop with this Bullshit.
    Anonymous -- Friday August 05 2005, @08:43AM (#174060)
  • Funnily enough, Siouxsie said she was glad to see the back of Smith when he left the Banshees because all he did was whine.

But then again, she wasn't much more complimentary about Moz.
    Anonymous -- Friday August 05 2005, @10:05AM (#174068)
  • Sigh.. (Score:2, Interesting)

Here we go again.

I don't want to add anything to this, as I think both are great BUT...(here I go)

Why does it matter if Robert Smith has gained weight over the years. What do you care if he wears makeup? If you don't like his music, fine, but why bag on the way someone looks? Is this fifth grade - let's pick on the kid that looks funny? Bravo to Robert for dressing and looking how he wants to - do you think he gives a damn what YOU think?
    Honestly, I think this is what's wrong with American culture - it's all about the look. Who cares what the substance of a person is, just look at them and you can judge all. It really surprises me that people who love Morrissey and the Smiths throw out such a shallow argument. Please, put on your Jessica Simpson records, and go back to reading your People magazine. Leave the music lovers to talk about the music.

And in response to a previous post, I'd like to add that everybody that I know who loves the Smiths, loves the Cure as well. Here in the states, they were both at the forefront of the whole "Modern Music" movement that saved us from the likes of Van Halen and Madonna.
    Grillo <[email protected]> -- Friday August 05 2005, @02:44PM (#174112)
    (User #6298 Info)
    • Re:Sigh.. by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday August 05 2005, @04:11PM
      • Re:Sigh.. by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday August 05 2005, @07:43PM
    • Re:Sigh.. by eventhorizon2 (Score:1) Thursday September 01 2005, @10:51PM
  • ok seriously...the comment about robert smith playing all these instruments is such bullshit. the cello and violin??? are you aware that he just made noise on them for the intro to the catterpillar and close to me? ok and another thing...he's not some grandiose guitarist, i learned how to play the majority of the cure's songs when i was 12 (14 years ago) and granted it taught me how to play by ear...but come the fuck on. sure moz doesn't play an instrument but are you going to honestly tell me that bob smith is 1/12 as good as *insert any guitarist that worked for moz here*??? and lyrically robert smith is a joke. and please do not argue with that...BANANAFISHBONES that's all i have to say. he can't write one fucking song without saying "i love you"...the 80's are over and the cure are a stereotypical 80's band and that's just fucking retarted...the smiths were a rock band that just happened to be in the 80's. and on one of the threads...what the hell is up with all the homophobic comments??? why don't you start making racial comments next while you're at it...and when was morrissey ever a closet fag?(as one comment on here said) gee i thought he was pretty open about it and obvious...it's not like he's secretive like michael stipe or over the top like elton john....
    get over it
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 06 2005, @02:57PM (#174203)
  • I pity the poor overweight people that meet up with all these tossers that make fun of Robert Smith's weight. Shameful, simply shameful that they choose to knock someone solely based on their appearance with a nickname such as "Fat Bob." (I've been chuckling from seeing the words "Fat Bob" so much; it reminds me of Harley-Davidson motorcycle gas tanks.)

You know what the difference between Robert Smith and all of you are? He's got a nice big bank account and you're all fucking peasants as far as he can see. He's someone doing his own thing, living and looking the way he wants, making music and creating trends instead of following them. You're all just jealous.

And yes, I love both Morrissey/the Smiths and the Cure. As far as I'm concerned, Moz and Smith can say whatever they hell they please and it does not bother me one bit. Stop taking this war of words between the two so personally! It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things! Worry about the REAL world around you, not fucking popular culture!
    Anonymous -- Saturday August 06 2005, @11:41PM (#174225)
    • Re:Oh for...! by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday August 07 2005, @01:37AM
    • Re:Oh for...! by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday August 07 2005, @04:22AM
      • Re:Oh for...! by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday August 07 2005, @09:36PM
  • A lots of americans on this site is talking about the weight of smith. who cares if he's fat. I really loathe stupid americans talking about how people look instead of what they've done.

Its like all of you are part of the big jerry springer show that America is constantly shoving up our faces.

Disintegration and wish are great albums, but cure will never be anything close to Morrissey and they know it. Smith is jealous, thats all. But after all - he's not an american, so he is forgiven.

Lady Diana,
    Hades
    Anonymous -- Sunday August 07 2005, @01:32AM (#174226)
  • BLUR! OASIS! BLUR! OASIS! That's another long running feud that matters, just like Morrissey vs. Robert Smith! My GOD, people! When will this rivalry end?!?! Don't get me started on Elvis Presley vs. Frank Sinatra...
    Anonymous -- Sunday August 07 2005, @10:21AM (#174260)
  • I think RS has made these kind of comments before & it does make sense. Morrissey can whinge in his lyrics, probably why most people were drawn to him. And I also think Cure fans are a bit more mature in general than Moz fans.
    Didn't they go to a Halloween party once & all was forgiven?
    M-in-Oz -- Sunday August 07 2005, @06:03PM (#174311)
    (User #13934 Info)
  • Looks like I missed this one whilst I was galavanting around the globe, so here goes. I love Robert, I love The Cure (in all their myriad incarnations) I love Moz and I love The Smiths. So one of my favourite people slags off another one of my favourite people; what do I do? Sit on the fence, as always (though it gets a bit painful sometimes).
    To be honest you can't really compare the two men. Yes, they both sing about how they are tortured souls, but they've been tormented in very different ways and therefore they make very different music. And, goddammit, neither one is miserable.
    All Robert did was have a sly dig at Mozzer's press reputation (which could also be painful); he didn't get personal.
    I don't care if they don't like one another and I don't care if they've succumbed to middle age spread, as long as they're not o-beast (as my sister would say) they're still fine. And regardless of personal appearance, their music is still fine.
    Leave them both alone. Grrr.
    Rant over.
    Mozzersgirl -- Monday August 08 2005, @05:04PM (#174445)
    (User #14229 Info)
    "There's more evil in the charts than in an al-Qaeda suggestion box" - Bill Bailey
  • what is wrong with robert smith? he just seems to be seething with jealousy anymore. he constantly has to trash morrissey which just makes him look pathetic. I'm sorry but the cure hasn't been a good band in a LOOOOONG time. how could i forget "Friday I'm in Love"? plain sad.
    *puella* -- Tuesday August 09 2005, @11:16AM (#174514)
    (User #11105 Info)
  • Fat bob, we all know it's you... stop hiding ;-)
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @02:58PM (#173928)
  • Let us re-direct you to: www.thecure.com .
    goinghome -- Thursday August 04 2005, @03:03PM (#173930)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • Three hour sets are what Pink Floyd used to do before punk happened.

Less is more.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @03:06PM (#173931)
  • I guess Smith is bitter at all the harsh reviews of his latest proper studio album, and wondered why it wasn't half as good as You Are The Quarry.

He must have sung "Why Can't I Be You?" about Morrissey too.
    Foster -- Thursday August 04 2005, @07:36PM (#173970)
    (User #14088 Info)
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]