posted by davidt on Tuesday August 02 2005, @10:00AM
Belligerent Ghoul sends the link:

Bringing local music back to its home town - Media Week

Excerpt:

Despite the city’s rich musical heritage, there are few options for younger music fans. Can newcomer Xfm help to galvanise this audience and the sector? Adam Woods reports.

In April 1986, before alternative music was ever known by that name, Morrissey heard Steve Wright spin Wham!'s I'm Your Man immediately after a news bulletin about the Chernobyl disaster. That's why The Smiths exhorted us to "hang the DJ" that summer, though they were wise enough not to suggest which one.

Morrissey isn't the only Mancunian who doesn't think much of radio. According to some research, 15% of adults in the city simply do not listen to the radio at all.

Xfm 97.7, which two months ago won a 19-way pitch for the new local FM licence, believes it can do something to change that...
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Steve Wright interviewed Morrissey last year on Radio 2. Which if you read that sentence back sounds very strange indeed.

Has anybody heard or now how I can access this conversation as the mind boggles.
    Spellbound -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @10:08AM (#173473)
    (User #13956 Info)
    ........a life affirming voice set to a heavenly guitar melody, a killer bass line and a impassioned drum beat.
    • Re:Steve Wright by glamorous shoplifter (Score:1) Tuesday August 02 2005, @12:54PM
    • Re:Steve Wright by Benton (Score:1) Tuesday August 02 2005, @01:53PM
      • Re:Steve Wright by Fan Anomaly (Score:1) Tuesday August 02 2005, @03:06PM
      • Re:Steve Wright by glamorous shoplifter (Score:1) Wednesday August 03 2005, @05:35AM
  • Get yourself an XM Satellite radio...Where else are you gonna hear them live, rarities, and other things terrestrial radio will never play?
    You'll thank me later.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @02:45PM (#173567)

[ home | terms of service ]