posted by davidt on Tuesday August 02 2005, @10:00AM
chrisarclark writes:
This is a bit old now- I've been sittin on it for weeks and I'm not even sure if this is still the most recent issue- but David Johansen recently graced the cover of issue #9 of Gasoline Magazine. Inside there is an article about their return including segments of an interview with guitarist Sylvain Sylvain.

During the interview, Syl compares to Morrissey to former "haberdasher" Malcolm McClaren who Syl says "later said he was our manager because he wanted to have some cred...."

"Sylvain adds, 'It's like Morrissey saying he was the president of our fan club in London! We didn't have a fuckin' fan club!'"

I thought it an odd remark, to suggest that Morrissey is copping The Dolls' "cred", since Moz has done so much for them of recent.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Wouldn't it be manchester? And what is a fan club anyway. It could be a group of pen-pals exchanging letters. Or someone putting out their own newsletter.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @10:15AM (#173475)
    • Re:In london? by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday August 03 2005, @11:55AM
  • He probably means official fanclub. There are loads of unofficial fanclubs in the UK. Perhaps they don't have them so much in America.

Still, it seems a graceless comment seeing as they pretty much owe their resurrection to Morrissey.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @10:29AM (#173479)
    • Re:Sylvain is probably confused by suzanne (Score:1) Tuesday August 02 2005, @11:02AM
      • Re:Sylvain is probably confused by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday August 02 2005, @11:52AM
      • The road from confusion to presumption... by wit2wit (Score:1) Wednesday August 03 2005, @05:21AM
        • semantics (Score:2, Insightful)

oh yes, my point is completely invalid because we're talking about a website and not a fan club.

the reason why you haven't felt "deprived" is because there were websites in the lean years.

nobody really forms fan clubs anymore, and why should they when the internet can do 100x of what a single fan club can do? the point of fan clubs is to let other fans know what's going on and to obsessively discuss what the band is doing. think about if you tried forming a morrissey fan club in your city and how hard that would be to convince people to show any sustained interest so you could produce fanzines and such. here, you've got people from all over the world who show up and leave and the website still remains intact for anyone who wants to come back later.

i'm sure if people in the 70's had the web that a 13 year old morrissey would have created a NY dolls website. he was always writing letters to the press and having to be at their mercy as to whether or not they would publish it, and what better way to have an uninterrupted stream of thought than going on the internet?
          suzanne -- Wednesday August 03 2005, @08:43AM (#173706)
          (User #36 Info)
          I scare dead people.
          • simiantics... by wit2wit (Score:1) Wednesday August 03 2005, @12:29PM
            • Re:simiantics... by suzanne (Score:1) Wednesday August 03 2005, @03:24PM
              • Antics... by wit2wit (Score:1) Wednesday August 03 2005, @04:39PM
  • I remember reading he was president of the Mott the Hoople fan club.

For him to be president of their fan club as well the New York Dolls would have been too demanding!
    mozmic_dancer -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @11:02AM (#173490)
    (User #11277 Info)
    "I am the fun and the fair, on a Mozsite for the criminally insane..."
  • The Dolls (Score:2, Interesting)

Is it just me or do other fans struggle to understand Morrissey's fascination with the New York Dolls?

Yes, a couple of the tunes are alright. I like Personality Crisis. Trash also, I suppose. A bit. But there doesn't seem to be anything much about them.

Perhaps it was different if you grew up in grey old Manchester in the 70's when everything was rubbish. They might have seemed quite colourful and humerous. But wasn't that hightened by there being very few truly eccentric bands about?

Sylvain Sylvain is an idiot. The fact his name features the word 'vain', twice, is also telling.

• Re:The Dolls (Score:3, Insightful)

That is an odd thing to say. But I think the question just begging to be asked is this: Why would an aging rock musician who's just barely been rescued from the brink of obscurity be accusing people of "using" them to get "cred" in the first place? Sounds pretty ill-advised, right? This answer is simple--he's a tad insecure that he owes his newfound relevance to Morrissey. He wouldn't even be giving interviews if it wasn't for Moz.

Besides, I'm quite sure that Sylvain was too "drugged freaking senseless" in the 70s to even remember if his band had a fan club in the UK.

What a douche.
      glamorous shoplifter -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @12:48PM (#173533)
      (User #14493 Info)
    • Re:The Dolls by mg196 (Score:1) Wednesday August 03 2005, @05:30AM
    • Re:The Dolls by EEP (Score:1) Wednesday August 03 2005, @08:24AM
    • Re:The Dolls by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday August 03 2005, @11:59AM
  • Jesus Christ, relax people!

Journalists take things out of context all the time. The text surely makes him seem more vindictive than he really is.

His comments didn't even seem insulting, they were probably more "cute" than anything else. If you bought the New York Dolls live album that Attack records released, you'd hear both David and Sylvain thanking Morrissey for bringing them together again.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @01:35PM (#173544)
    • Could it have been another case of "a free-lance guy at the [Manchester gig] who somehow misconstrued the answers to the questions given in a genuine way by [Boz] to the interviewer. Somewhere along the line it turned into something out of The Twilight Zone"... as Lyn Boorer pointed out about the recent Boz interview?

Chin up Moz! Sylvain was maybe just enjoying a moment of careless self-importance. I like Stan's comment about the 2 'vain's in his name!
      goinghome -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @03:50PM (#173591)
      (User #12673 Info)
  • When Sylvain says, " [he] later said he was our manager because he wanted to have some cred....", the "he" in question is Malcolm McLaren; not Morrissey.
    Stu Walsh -- Tuesday August 02 2005, @02:04PM (#173553)
    (User #2312 Info)
  • maybe they're just sick of questions about Morrissey. It must have got quite old by now.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday August 03 2005, @05:12AM (#173666)
  • Sylvia is an arrogant, egocentric, self aggrandizing wanker who needs a good kick up the arse! A lot of people wouldn't even know the Dolls if it weren't for Morrissey reintroducing them to the public. Let me at 'em, I'll bite his ankle.
    Anonymous -- Thursday August 04 2005, @11:01AM (#173865)

[ home | terms of service ]