posted by davidt on Friday April 29 2005, @10:00AM
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Siouxsie Sioux? (Score:2, Informative)

"Boz has also co-written songs for Adam Ant, and John’s Children and recorded with Edwyn Collins, Madness, Ronnie Dawson, Siouxsie Sioux and Jools Holland, Evan Dando, Joan Armatrading, David Sneddon and many others.."

Does anyopne know what song(s) he did with Siouxsie?

someraincoatedlovers -- Friday April 29 2005, @10:56AM (#159937)
    (User #10290 Info)
  • So does someone who knows something about the music biz care to explain the importance of this to Morrissey fans? Does it just mean that Boz is being well-taken care of on the business side and can now concentrate on the next Morrissey album?

What is gained from this? Do they pay him a bunch of money for signing up with them? Do they OWN him now?

He's looking forward to some great collaborations.
    Does that mean Sanctuary will assign him to help write songs for others on their label? Like an in-house song-doctor for Sanctuary artists? Or what? I know nothing about the music biz.

Does it mean he's more secure/permanant in Morrissey's band, or does it mean he's going his own way?

Boz co-wrote several of the top songs of Morrissey's solo years, and several of the most average ones. He has the proven talent for writing terrific music for Morrissey, however he should learn to hold back songs that are just average, since the standards for working with Morrissey should be perfectionistic. Give the average songs to Adam Ant, Guana Batz, Evan Dando, and the like, thank you.

If Alain is gone, would Boz be able to co-write a top album of 10 or 11 tracks? Even while he's doing other collaborations? Or would he write an album with 3-4 top songs and the rest uninspired filler? We demand 10-12 GREAT songs for a proper Morrissey album.

Is Alain gone??? (People will ask Alain at his new band's show TOMORROW, right?)

If Alain's gone, someone new probably needs to come in who can write some top songs with Boz. I realize people never give Alain proper credit, but his boots would be tough to fill. Of course we haven't heard the results of Boz attempting to write an entire album for Morrissey. Maybe it would be marvelous. Maybe he'd even produce the whole thing too, and blow us away. I know he has it in him. I just think he sometimes settles for mediocrity.

And of course Alain might still be with Morrissey. Perhaps he just doesn't like touring anymore or something. That's kind of sad if he doesn't like to play for us live anymore!!! :(
    LoafingOaf <reversethis-{moc ... otstnilfcitnarf}> -- Friday April 29 2005, @12:39PM (#159962)
    (User #778 Info)
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
  • Congratulations Boz!!! You´re a great man, a great musician and you deserve this.
    kisses,
    Alice Mota
    Anonymous -- Friday April 29 2005, @04:12PM (#159991)
  • Same poster as above regard. Has Moz sold out? I used to be a completionist collector until he and Sanctuary started pimping out reissue and live crap. I can live without the reissues and sorry live singles now with no problem.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 29 2005, @06:31PM (#160004)
    • Re:follow-up by Wilde is on my side (Score:1) Saturday April 30 2005, @02:09PM
  • Omedeto gozaimasu, Boz-san,
    Boz san to Lynn san wa kakkoii to omoimasu.
    Korekaramo ganbatte kudasaine*
    Anonymous -- Saturday April 30 2005, @05:45AM (#160044)
  • Congrats to Boz etc (by the way, his wife is a friend of someone I used to work with, so there!)I won't go into details. She was a temp!

I clicked on the link and read the blurb but also noticed that Sanctuary signed Status Quo!

Who next..... Bacarat??
    and2rew -- Saturday April 30 2005, @07:03AM (#160049)
    (User #8232 Info)
  • maybe it means that they are about to go back into the studio. i think there is something funky about record contracts when co-writers aren't signed to the same publisher because the one signed to the record label either has to pay them full rate or negotiate with their co-writer to take less and maybe this will get boz more money for the music that ends up on the CDs.
    suzanne -- Saturday April 30 2005, @10:55AM (#160070)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
  • [comment moved to journals - DT]
    suzanne -- Saturday April 30 2005, @11:30AM (#160081)
    (User #36 Info)
    I scare dead people.
    • Re:Ha! by Hello Indie (Score:1) Saturday April 30 2005, @11:32AM
      • Re:Ha! (Score:2, Funny)

trust me. it's completely not your fault that you didn't catch on. that was my own stupidity of what happens when you open one too many browsers and are trying to cook lunch at the same time.
        suzanne -- Saturday April 30 2005, @01:22PM (#160102)
        (User #36 Info)
        I scare dead people.
        • Re:Ha! by goinghome (Score:1) Sunday May 01 2005, @12:10PM
          • Re:Ha! by suzanne (Score:1) Sunday May 01 2005, @11:01PM
  • Alain wrote the bulk of the Quarry cuts, with four of his compositions in the UK Top 10 last year. Yes, Moz is the main man, it's all about Him, but regardless of whether people on here moan about the recent music behind The Voice, the fact is that it's part of parcel of YATQ's success. Okay, Johnny Marr may still have some genius left in him, but in 2005 would he come up with four tracks as good as Irish Blood, First of the Gang, I Have Forgiven and Let Me Kiss You? Odds against, I'd say.

But no Sanctuary contract offer for Alain...strange. Another sign of a permanent separation?

Those of you that went to (are now at?) Red Lightning's gig, give us a comprehensive report will you?
    king leer -- Saturday April 30 2005, @11:09PM (#160140)
    (User #80 Info)
  • My feeling is that morrissey is either about to end his touring career, or his pop career altogether. His comments on his recent tour about this being "firewell, not goodbye", past interview comments and Alain's departure form the band, as well as the fact Deano is now free to tour with another group brings me to this conclusion.

My guess is that Alain couldn't bear the idea of not playing live anymore, and Morrissey had to find a new guitarist. Bernard Butler would have been ideal as it's well documented he doesn't like playing live, but that he's great in the studio.

Anyway, it looks like Boz will be his major co-writer for the next album. If that means an album of "Teacher" "Speedway" and "Now My heart Is Fulls" that's great, but let's hope he avoids too many of the generic tunes he's been churning out recently. I always thought Boz wrote the most adventurous Morrissey records.

broken
    Anonymous -- Sunday May 01 2005, @11:24AM (#160174)
  • Boz is listed as Musical Director for Moz '91 to present day'. I assume that this means that Alain hasn't been Musical director during this period and that Boz oversaw Alain's compositions?!!

P.S. Congrats to Boz on the signing. Great news.
    Auric Goldfinger -- Tuesday May 03 2005, @02:25AM (#160410)
    (User #3416 Info)
    Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough?
  • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.

[ home | terms of service ]