posted by davidt on Friday April 29 2005, @10:00AM
Frances writes:

¡A Todos Bailar el Cover!
Seven terrible Mexican remakes of American songs
by GUSTAVO ARELLANO, Orange County Weekly

(American song?)

“Esta Luz Nunca Se Apagará”
Cover of: the Smiths’ “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.” Artist: Mikel Erentxun. Results: Mexican rockeros have recorded great covers of gems such as Tijuana No!’s remake of “Spanish Bombs” or Los Abandoned’s punky take on Selena’s “Como la Flor.” “Esta Luz,” though, isn’t one of them—an even whinier vow of romantic death, and without the double-decker bus! Erentxun also sings a so-so “Every Day Is Like Sunday” in concert, primarily to please Morrissey: the Mancunian is known to frequent Erentxun’s Southland shows.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • what a turd..he's a spaniard! tosser!
    Anonymous -- Friday April 29 2005, @10:14AM (#159920)
    • Re:Mexican?! by Hello Indie (Score:1) Friday April 29 2005, @10:20AM
    • Re:Mexican?! by JezNMoz (Score:1) Friday April 29 2005, @03:51PM
  • mikel es español, no mexicano.. and the cover isnt as bad as they say...capicci?
    fernando -- Friday April 29 2005, @10:46AM (#159933)
    (User #398 Info | http://www.morrissey-solo.com/nopage)
    daradá
  • mikel erentxun's cover is a shame.

how could he dare to make a cover of the most perfect and beutiful song ever?

no one should be allowed to cover "there is a light that never goes out"... no other band can come close to mathch the beauty and perfection of the original version.

i know that erentxun is a big smiths/morrissey fan. but he could have paid his respects in some other form. not by ruining the best song ever in his own spanish sung version with different lyrics and awful arrangements.

i'm not a musician and i'm not spanish (í'm mexican) and i truly love and admire the smiths and morrissey, and i wouldn't insult my idols with a piece of crap like "esta luz nunca se apagará" (the original title of erentxun's version).

i still haven't heard his version of "everyday is like sunday"... but i bet he managed to ruin morrissey's greatest classic as well.

my favourite smiths and morrissey songs covered by the same idiot. i hate him.

pls don't get me wrong i love spain and spanish people. but mikel erentxun is something else. he is a jerk.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 29 2005, @11:49AM (#159953)
  • It's a good enough song on it's own.

It PALES in comparison to the original of course, I usually hate Smiths covers, but it's nice enough.

I understand the words.

Either way, he's not Mexican, and the song isn't American. Ugh, journalists.
    dallow_bg <[email protected]> -- Saturday April 30 2005, @10:46PM (#160139)
    (User #10559 Info | http://www.dolefulorange.com/)
    "All the people I like are those that are dead."
  • This reeks of someone doing somebody a favour. Who the hell cares? This is, fundamentally, plumbing the depths of major geekery. Smiths songs in Spanish?! NO!
    Ramon -- Monday May 02 2005, @03:34AM (#160257)
    (User #2577 Info)
    "I'm all over you...like a vulture, like impending death"

[ home | terms of service ]