posted by davidt on Friday April 22 2005, @10:00AM
Jim Roberts writes:

21st Century Rock by Chuck Klosterman [subscription required]

Excerpt:

People who have real jobs don't listen to contemporary rock music. People who have real jobs watch network TV and go to sleep; that's pretty much their entire social life. A month after Morrissey released Maladjusted in 1997, I called the most intense heterosexual Morrissey fan I knew, and I said, "You know, critics are attacking this record for being sonically maudlin and lyrically lazy, but there are some interesting songs here. It's not as deep as Vauxhall and I , but it's worth buying."

His response: "Morrissey still makes records?"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Some "intense heterosexual Morrissey fan" he is, if he was asking was Morrissey still making records in 1997, just 3 years after Vauxhall and 2 after Southpaw.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 22 2005, @02:05PM (#159072)
  • Who subscribes to this shit ?
    Anonymous -- Friday April 22 2005, @06:48PM (#159101)
  • ...of maladjusted. in fact, i think it's dead on. i have no idea why maladjusted is as maligned as it is. there are some misfires on there, but the songs are closer musically and lyrically to the stuff on "you are the quarry" than anyone seems ready to admit. the difference is, morrissey was considered a has-been in 1997. the album sold poorly, and therefore has a shit reputation. to me, it makes no sense. if morrissey was ever lyrically lazy, it was on "southpaw", not at all on "maladjusted".
    Anonymous -- Saturday April 23 2005, @02:49PM (#159181)

[ home | terms of service ]