posted by davidt on Friday April 22 2005, @10:00AM
goinghome writes:

In my ongoing relationship with inanimate objects, TV in this case, I caught an interview with Elton John by Sir David Frost that was broadcast on C4 TV on Thurs April 21st.

Recalling prior run-ins between Morrissey and Elton, and Morrissey’s apparent apology for the jibe on his documentary, it was amusing to hear some of Elton’s own jibes. He accused Madonna of miming her songs – lip-syncing; George Michael of wasting his time singing around the house; and Posh Spice of not spending enough time with her husband. ‘Cos he cares, he said, and values loyalty above all: “sometimes tough love is the best”! Still he has publicly been thanked for providing medical advice and support to both Anasthasia and Rufus Wainwright, a bit like Morrissey whose counsel to associates has been recorded as being especially sensible.

He cited his heroes as Bob Dylan, Ray Charles and Nina Simone, and he was received by the Queen in Buckingham Palace on occasion, without the aid of ‘a sponge and a rusty spanner’!

His grand show style and big break in Los Angeles in 1970, now the darling of Las Vegas, plus his views on the decline of musical innovation, particularly in America, and the demise of the live music experience and of a memorable melody, also compare with Morrissey. He agrees that the pauses, what isn’t played, can be more important than the ‘noise’. On his song ‘Rocket Man’, he described it’s depiction of a lonely star amongst adulating strangers who only feels at home and in control on stage.

At age 57, his new album ‘Peach Tree Road’ (where he lives) features a video starring ‘Desperate Housewives’ Teri Hatchard, and a film of his life is under negotiation. His pet project is an Aids Foundation for Africa for which, despite his vocal criticism of the Bush regime, he’s received the blessing of the White House. He’s eschewed alcohol for the last 15 years, and claims he’s his own worst enemy, but ‘why do I have to shut up? – I’m a human being with the same rights as anyone else!’

His favourite type of book is autobiography, so no doubt he’ll be first in line for Moz’ gestating Penguin blockbuster!
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • You think I am joking but I am not: Justin Timberlake, former Nsync'er will play Elton in this biopic. If nothing else he'll look great in those little green shorts Elton sported in the '70's!
    Anonymous -- Friday April 22 2005, @10:41AM (#159024)
  • I don't think you're joking.

Justin Timberlake has already played a young, early '70s era Elton John in a music video that came out a few years ago - "This Train Don't Stop There Anymore". JT isn't all bad (just mostly), he's got some unexpected tricks up his sleeve. I'll never forgive him for his McDonald's connection, though (he wrote the "I'm lovin' it" song for them).

***As a side note, Paul Ruebens - aka Pee Wee Herman - played Elton John's agent in that same video. With any luck, we'll see him in the film as well.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 22 2005, @12:26PM (#159050)
  • He wasn't even mentioned on the show was he?

If you're trying to say they have anything remotely in common. They have not.

Elton can't sing, writes appalling songs (and always has done), and lives his poor pathetic life through the media. He even uses his celebrity friends private lives to get publicity if he doesn't think enough he's had even column inches in any given week.

I don't have much time for George Michael but my sympathies lie entirely with him whenever Elton decides to open his big fat trap about George's "problems".
    Anonymous -- Friday April 22 2005, @01:09PM (#159060)
  • There was a Morrissey joke on Radio 4 last week. "MRSA is the posh way of pronouncing the former leader of The Smiths' name, ie, 'Have you heard the new album by MRSA?'"

Who's Elton John?
    kissmyshades -- Friday April 22 2005, @01:30PM (#159063)
    (User #12542 Info)
    • Re:Trivia by goinghome (Score:1) Friday April 22 2005, @03:48PM
  • As I said a few weeks back, this is all too surreal for me and some of my old friends. LOL, when Morrissey a few years ago made that remark about Elton's head on a platter, I suspected that it was only a matter of time before such topics as yours and others would arise.

Thank you for sharing this on here, GoingHome, as it seemingly makes my own past come full-circle, lol.
    J. Razor -- Friday April 22 2005, @02:00PM (#159068)
    (User #724 Info)
    I'm Alone
  • It's said that seven degrees of separation is all it takes for familiarity, and these two artists' names have been linked before.

Anyway, Elton said that three different actors would have to play himself if a film of his life did materialize. I wonder if there was a film made of the Smiths, or Morrissey only, who would play the lead roles? Maybe the paucity of public appearances by Morrissey recently indicates that he’s beavering away as we speculate to polish the finer points of his plot and scatter a cache of unique observations that we have come to expect from him in readiness for publication.
    The basis for a screenplay already!
    goinghome -- Friday April 22 2005, @03:45PM (#159089)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • Her name is Teri Hatcher, not Hatchard.

And concerning your ongoing relationship with inanimate objects, we'd like you to stop there before you inform us what you do with your strap on.
    Anonymous -- Saturday April 23 2005, @10:47AM (#159155)
  • that was juste a big long ramble about Elton John.
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Saturday April 23 2005, @05:40PM (#159196)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • Is it a slow news week or something?
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 24 2005, @11:52AM (#159252)

[ home | terms of service ]