posted by davidt on Wednesday April 20 2005, @10:15AM
An anonymous person writes:

Jake Kennedy has penned a negative review of the MEN DVD in this month's 'Record Collector'. Criticisms are levelled against Morrissey's band for being dull and uninspiring, and against Morrissey himself for coasting.

Transcript as follows:

First things first - it was the Mondays who truly put the 'M' in Manchester, and if memory serves correctly, they also did a pretty good job of putting the 'E' in as well. And secondly, if Manchester is so bloody marvellous, why is Morrissey living in LA? There's no 'M' in that......

Filmed in May 2004, on the occasion of his 45th birthday, this 'homecoming' gig catches Mozzer at the peak of his commercial powers, unbelievably. And it is hard to believe, because many of the songs wheeled out are simply dull. It is a victory of marketing over material that even lifeless numbers like I Have Forgiven Jesus and Let Me Kiss You are enough to raise a shriek from the (admittedly) massive crowd in the MEN arena. At one point, and I swear this is true, a fan waves some hospital crutches aloft, as if healed by rubbish album off-cuts ('Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice') and obligatory 'run-through' Smiths covers (A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, Shoplifters....)

There's something incredibly annoying about the backing band to boot. Rarely more than irritatingly self-confident, they manage to suck any life from bona fide masterful solo works like Jack The Ripper and Hairdresser On Fire. With their teddy boy affectations, mohawks and quiffs, the only real thrill they provide comes when they leave the stage, one by one, causing punch ups among a crowd eager to catch signed drumskins or sheet music.

There are some genuinely exciting moments, though. A grim, northern female voice lists things that clearly infuriate Morrissey before he takes the stage. As Moz bounds on, 'First Of The Gang To Die' sounds truly rejuvenated in the live arena, and, slightly later, The Headmaster Ritual gets a rightful place at the captain's table. The concert came just before the summer festival appearances of 2004, so we aren't treated to How Soon Is Now, which debuted there, and struck many dumb with its brilliance later that year (the very essence of the lyric not losing one ounce of its poignancy in such mammoth venues), but hey, it must have been work in progress.

Bonus features include five tracks from the Move Festival of the same year, and they generally work better. Something about the open air and the catch-all nature of the crowd makes for a more light-hearted set and sound, and the version of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out from here is superior.

It comes down to this. Morrissey remains a gifted wordsmith, and something of a reluctant raconteur to boot. But for too long now he has been riding the crest of a wave of past glories. I love him dearly, but sometimes he makes it very hard.

How true - new collaborators required!
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • The Happy Mondays did kinda rule.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @10:28AM (#158825)
    • Re:He's Right by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 20 2005, @05:27PM
      • Re:He's Right by M-in-Oz (Score:1) Wednesday April 20 2005, @05:47PM
    • Re:He's Right by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @12:37AM
    • Re:He's Right by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @08:51AM
      • Re:He's Right by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @04:58PM
        • Re:He's Right by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @06:52PM
          • lol by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @07:19PM
    • The mondays by broken (Score:0) Monday April 25 2005, @03:03AM
  • Just to clarify, the 'M' in LA stands for "Mexicanos".

Live with it. Moz likes it here, so get over it. Then again, what do you expect in a review from another in the long list of Moz haters?
    Jim Rome -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @10:30AM (#158826)
    (User #720 Info | http://www.jimrome.com/)
    ...and how?
  • The Move festival songs play better ... seems that there's more 'intimacy' with the crowd. Also thought the sound production was generally better.

Anyone else?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @10:58AM (#158832)
  • May 22, 2005, How about it. Mexico Loves Morrissey
    tenderliz -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @11:17AM (#158833)
    (User #11301 Info)
  • I think we've all read your catchphrase on here many times over the past few weeks. We get the message. Now can you change the record or provide some more interesting criticism? You're getting as repetitive as you claim Morrissey is.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @11:49AM (#158838)
  • new band (Score:0, Troll)

I have to say i agree. The band just dont cut it for me. Ive never liked Whyte or his style of composing , very much Suede in essence.Ive never liked Boorer or any of the band come to think of it. I really dont want to sound negative , i really dont , but the ' product ' has gone. No cover stars.Poor , very poor artwork. More memebers in the band than fucking blazin squad. There just doesnt appear to be any feeling, no conviction , no thought or passion in the product, they are just going through the motions and that includes the Moz.I hate to say this but , if The Smiths dont reform anytime soon , i think that will be that. The mozzer has to have a major re think about where he is going because quite frankly im getting a bit peeved with the shite artwork etc etc. anyway enough said.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @11:51AM (#158839)
    • Re:new band by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 20 2005, @03:21PM
      • Re:new band by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 20 2005, @03:32PM
        • Re:new band by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 20 2005, @05:25PM
    • Re:new band by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @07:23AM
      • Re:new band by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 23 2005, @01:58PM
    • Re:new band by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @07:32AM
      • Re:new band by goinghome (Score:1) Thursday April 21 2005, @01:24PM
      • Re:new band by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 23 2005, @02:00PM
    • Artwork by KenBarlow (Score:1) Saturday April 23 2005, @03:13AM
      • Re:Artwork by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 23 2005, @03:16AM
        • Re:Artwork by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 23 2005, @01:42PM
          • Re:Artwork by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 23 2005, @01:51PM
            • Re:Artwork by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 23 2005, @02:04PM
              • Re:Artwork by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 23 2005, @03:39PM
  • This is not a bad review. Good for Record Collector for giving Morrissey a fair shake.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @11:52AM (#158840)
  • Some of the criticism of the comes across as a bit childish and petty really. By all means criticise them but he sounds like he took one look at them and decided to hate them.

Same with the criticism of the title. Why take it so seriously? Maybe he's just unhappy that the Mondays aren't getting enough attention. But that's their fault if they want to turn up stoned at any venue that's willing to pay them fifty quid and ruin the memories for all the unfortunate punters.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @11:58AM (#158841)
  • the reviewer completely slags off every aspect of the film/DVD, so why give it 2 stars? that review sounds like a zero to me...

make up your mind twat.
    mr. superinvisible -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @11:58AM (#158842)
    (User #6367 Info)
  • Oh, yes! Of course you are all going to say that the Record Collector is a bad magazine and that Kennedy doesn't wear the right shirt. But you all know in your hearts that he is quite right here.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @12:58PM (#158849)
    • Re:Right by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @05:28AM
      • twat by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @06:04AM
        • Re:twat by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @09:14AM
          • Re:twat by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @09:45AM
      • Re:Right by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @10:19AM
  • Ha! The Happy Mondays only put the M in mediocre; I saw them on the Thrills and Pills tour, and Shaun Ryder wore an anorak the whole time and still never broke a sweat. Half the show he was sitting on the drum riser sipping his cocktail. That band truly sucked live (and weren't much better on record; their best song, "Step On," they didn't even write). And this guy criticizes "Jack The Ripper," making it sound like the "backing band" is mauling it, when Boz actually wrote that song; maybe the reviewer thinks it's a song from a long, long time ago. So this guy seems like a right twat, which doesn't make him right.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @01:46PM (#158854)
    • Re:blew monday by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @07:32AM
  • The move show should have been released ..
    and didnt the sweat stain bother anybody ?
    markmustb1 -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @05:10PM (#158865)
    (User #13161 Info)
    cos no one ever turns to me to say ...
  • Morrissey should colloborate with the guy from The Sundays?
    M-in-Oz -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @05:49PM (#158873)
    (User #13934 Info)
  • doesn't even know that the intro is The Imperfect List. I found that out on the net in two minutes. I say this because his whole review lacked detail and explanation to support his viewpoints.

Jake seems perturbed that the Happy Mondays aren't getting enough recognition. One decent album and ending up braindead from drugs doesn't carry you too far, Jake.

Jake, who seems stuck in the haties(eighties), doesn't realize that people change. Morrissey plays a setlist that interests him. This show was flawless. I don't see how anybody could complain about that performance.

Maybe seeing and hearing a band that was sober for an entire performance was something that Jake isn't used to witnessing.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @06:06PM (#158874)
    • Re:Jake Kennedy.. (Score:2, Insightful)

This "Jake" person obviously does not know or understand a blasted thing about Morrissey and his Art.
      His attempt at criticism is laughable.

Who Put the M In Manchester is pure Magic.
      Sod all of you haters who pose as "fans" and write appaling reviews on the Great Moz.
      lg -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @08:26PM (#158889)
      (User #12253 Info)
      Friendship is the Love that never dies.
    • bad boy, naughty boy, to your bed by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 21 2005, @01:45AM
    • Re:Jake Kennedy.. by MasterOfWho (Score:1) Thursday April 21 2005, @07:21PM
  • I recently Bought the DVD and I Freakin Love it. It's A Great Concert Moz Sounds Great, Miles ahead of Introducing Morrissey, plus the back up band Wrtote Jack The Ripper!!!! and I think it's a great version, plus Deano's Mohawak is fantastic this dude sucks
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @11:16PM (#158893)
    • Re:Boot This! by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 22 2005, @01:35AM
  • There was a time when a writer for Record Collector would have recognised 'Imperfect List' by Big Hard Excellent Fish (aka Pete Wylie & Josie Jones0. But not NOW.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 21 2005, @02:46AM (#158906)
  • there is nothing to add. The concerts sucks, the band even more, only Move festival is good. And i wonder why this so fucking drunk tatoo guy is interviewed after the men concert and that this is interview is really shown??
    RealWilliamNothing <reversethis-{ed. ... {ta} {shtimseht}> -- Thursday April 21 2005, @04:46AM (#158909)
    (User #13972 Info)
  • Happy Mondays? BWAAHAAHAHA... nice joke.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 21 2005, @12:10PM (#158946)
  • The Happy Mondays?!?! LOLOLOL!!

This guy ain't worth repying to.
    LoafingOaf <reversethis-{moc ... otstnilfcitnarf}> -- Thursday April 21 2005, @02:49PM (#158955)
    (User #778 Info)
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
  • I think that Paul Oakenfold put the M in the Mondays. If it wasnt for him they would never have been of the dole.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 22 2005, @12:32AM (#158990)
  • Oh man, I am so sick of people who clearly haven't followed anything of Morrissey's career coming in at the last minute and making huge assumptions..

Morrissey's backing band are far more than just a load of session musos reading from "sheet music" (does the reviewing mean the setlists they were giving away at the end, maybe? D'oh!) - they are a good solid band, with some of them having been with Moz longer than Marr ever was..
    And why oh why oh why do so many reviews centre around the Smiths tracks?!?!
    Morrissey himself, in my opinion, is FAR better now than he was 20 years ago - his voice, his performance, his charisma - everything seems to have been taken up a notch post-Smiths.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 22 2005, @04:27AM (#158995)
  • Agreed (Score:2, Insightful)

I was at the gig and I completely agree with the review of the dvd. That's why it was my last ever Moz gig, I don't see the point anymore. The comments about the band were particularly funny and true!

GD
    Northern Bird -- Friday April 22 2005, @05:06AM (#158998)
    (User #4363 Info)
    no longer drowning...
  • if you were there, at the front of the crowd, as I was, that was an amazingly special night and the DVD pays homage to that. I cried watching back Every Day Is Like Sunday! The live at Earl's Court CD is more lacklustre (although I was there as well) but 'Who put the M...' is incredibly moving and exciting for a real fan.
    MyMelody -- Friday April 22 2005, @05:44AM (#159000)
    (User #2329 Info | http://lightupvirginmary.blogspot.com/)
    ...don't make fun of me later... cos I'm just lost...
  • amazing - he's listed the appalling low point "The Headmaster Ritual" and slightly weak "First of the Gang to Die" as the two highpoints.

I love the Rubber Ring-Little Thing-Daddy's Voice 3 track run in the middle of the show - that's my highlight.

As for the band, people might criticise them but this performance was very good and almost all of the songs were performed with a touch of class. What's the point in saying a live DVD is "rubbish" simply because you don't like his backing band? It doesn't make sense. Most of the songs are excellently performed, except, ironically, their appalling version of THMR, which this writer lists as a highlight.

Sometimes I wonder if the reviewers even listen to the material. Great songs, interesting obscure tracks and Morrissey in great voice with very good backing - that sounds like at least 4 stars to me.

Personally I think the Morrissey band are pretty good live - they did the Kill Uncle tour which got excellent reviews, they did their ersatz rockabilly for Your Arsenal and changed to dark rock for Vauxhall before getting a bit more bombastic for Southpaw and almost acoustic for Maladjusted and Oye esteban - and now they've clipped and smoothed off all the performances for this indie Godhead/ironic Sinatra world tour. I think that's a pretty impressive range.

I would say BUT, but Morrissey must realise we all want him to get a new guitarist by now... BUT yes you really do need a more exciting guitarist and producer Moz.

broken
    Anonymous -- Friday April 22 2005, @12:07PM (#159047)

[ home | terms of service ]