posted by davidt on Tuesday April 19 2005, @10:00AM
goinghome writes:

On last Sunday night, 17th April on Channel 4, the band The Smiths were shown performing, recording, and cycling about Salford getting their iconic photograph taken outside the Salford Lads Club that would grace the inner sleeve of ‘The Queen is Dead’ album, which was voted 20th greatest album ever. Johny Marr explained how he used to tape music on cassette before Morrissey added words, and he waxed lyrical, as did Stephen Street, about the incomparability of Moz’s genius to break new artistic ground.

The winner was Radiohead with ‘OK Computer’. It could be postulated that circuitously, indirectly, jointly, this means that Morrissey, as solo artist, wins too, due to the huge influence that he had on Radiohead e.g. in an interview in 2003 Thom Yorke said about “Vauxhall and I”: “You can hear that album all over The Bends ... it was all we listened to”. As both that album and OK Computer are recognizably Radiohead, that’s my theory anyway!

Here’s the complete Top Twenty albums (of 100 featured) in England this year, agree or not:

20. The Queen is Dead – The Smiths
19. Are you Experienced? – Jimi Hendrix
18. Urban Hymns – The Verve
17. IV – Led Zeppelin
16. Jagged little Pill – Alanis Morrisette
15. (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? – Oasis
14. Parachutes – Coldplay
13. A Night at the Opera – Queen
12. The White Album – The Beatles
11. Automatic for the People – R.E.M.
10. Revolver – The Beatles
9. Appetite for Destruction - Guns n’ Roses
8. Like a Prayer - Madonna
7. Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – The Beatles
6. Definitely Maybe - Oasis
5. Dark Side of the Moon – Pink Floyd
4. Thriller – Michael Jackson
3. Nevermind - Nirvana
2. The Joshua Tree – U2
1. OK Computer - Radiohead

---
Stan also writes:

This news is late but seems to have been skipped, perhaps with good reason.

On Sunday 17th, Channel 4 broadcast a show called The 100 Best Albums Of All Time, or words to that effect.

Another of these 3 hour marathons of clips and comments that the previously experimental channel has relied upon recently.

It placed 'The Queen Is Dead' at number 20 and featured an interview with Johnny Marr talking about how he'd give Morrissey a tape of new music and the lyrics would be recorded quite quickly afterwards and in the most unpredictable way. 'I Know It's Over' was singled out as a good example.

Steven Street was also interviewed, contributing the expected, but amongst the video footage and familiar clips were some of all the Smiths in the studio listening to a playback.... a young Morrissey nodding along contentadly. Not seen it before although it may be a well known bootleg.

Anyway, The Queen Is Dead is the 20th best album ever, in case you ever were silly enough to think it were the 18th or 6th. It was a public vote.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • number 21, imagine, john lennon, so not bad eh?
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @10:11AM (#158658)
  • The queen is dead by the Smiths should certainly rate above Madonna!But I`m certainly glad it gets recognition.
    tibby -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @10:35AM (#158670)
    (User #2713 Info)
    ~I am a poor freezingly cold soul so far from where I intended to go ~I love Morrissey
  • U2- Achtung Baby ahead of The Joshua Tree?
    Oasis- The Masterplan ahead of their 2 TOP 15 ALBUMS!
    Dire Straits- Love Over Gold ahead of Brothers In Arms?

And In My Humble Opinion, Vauxhall And I ahead of the lot!

Any More?
    mick ransommich -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @10:51AM (#158676)
    (User #8642 Info)
    'Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less travelled by. And that has made all the difference'.
  • Number 16 (Score:2, Funny)

These polls are crass and boring, look at number 16. Oh please.

Was it just me or does Noel Gallagher talk utter shite. Every album he was featured talking about was 'the one' that changed his life and made him form a band. Still nice to know whose to blame.
    Spellbound -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @10:55AM (#158679)
    (User #13956 Info)
    ........a life affirming voice set to a heavenly guitar melody, a killer bass line and a impassioned drum beat.
    • Re:Number 16 by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 19 2005, @02:51PM
    • Re:Number 16 by despair and i (Score:1) Tuesday April 19 2005, @03:19PM
  • 20. The Queen is Dead – The Smiths
    19. Are you Experienced? – Jimi Hendrix
    18. Urban Hymns – The Verve
    17. IV – Led Zeppelin
    16. Jagged little Pill – Alanis Morrisette ???

i dont get it..
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @11:13AM (#158685)
  • I voted on this poll but I think the way it's done wasn't the best as they nominated 125 albums I think and you had to pick 6. So It was just like after I had picked The Smiths and a couple others that I really love, just looking for anything that I like.
    I voted for Alanis Morrissete but she's no comparison with the Smiths obviously. But the voting couldn't reflect this.
    My point is that a lot of the people who like Smiths and Morrissey are genuinely devoted and a lot of people don't like them but the poll was gave an unfair advantage to the more mainstream people.

Of course I'm glad the Darkness didn't win :)
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @11:42AM (#158691)
  • It was pretty funny, when TQID came on at #20, I was ready and primed to lambaste the choice for #19 and why it doesn't deserve to be on the same list as TQID. Then Are You Experienced? comes up.

Ah. Fair enough.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @01:08PM (#158709)
  • who cares what position TQID was at, it was a good programme for music fans, and enjoyed the johnny marr/stephen street input, took me back to day of release of that damn fine album, and how many of you still have the stickers? which were given with the early releases of the album.
    wrightytheman -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @03:42PM (#158739)
    (User #7063 Info)
  • Yada (Score:2, Funny)

God these programmes are lazy and trite. God I always watch them all the way through every time.

This one was Ok as it goes I suppose. At least Robbie effing Williams wasn`t there. What no Blondie, what no Kinks, what no Iggy, what no Ramones? Ok it wasn`t that good. But at least Robbie's eclusion made me slightly happier.

What no Fall, what no Half-Man Half-Biscuit? Ok I`m wandering into the realms of my own personal fantasy here....
    Ben G -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @04:21PM (#158742)
    (User #9622 Info)
    • Re:Yada by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 19 2005, @11:28PM
      • Re:Yada by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 20 2005, @04:09AM
        • Re:Yada by Ben G (Score:1) Thursday April 21 2005, @03:49PM
  • If it wasn't for 7. there wouldn't be 1. what a joke!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @07:34PM (#158752)
  • MOrrissette's and nirvana's albums ahead of TQID? Is this a joke?

If they put it in top 10 or 5, i will agree. but in 20th place? It's a waste of time... me, writing here...
    ikyan98 -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @09:49PM (#158758)
    (User #12540 Info)
  • OK Computer? The greatest album ever?
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @02:06AM (#158771)
  • Urban Hyms and Thriller ahead of the Queen is Dead? Sorry, but that's just funny.

I do think Radiohead should be up there though - the Bends definitely deserves a top 20 spot too.

broken
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @03:33AM (#158777)
  • a specific demographic than they say anything conclusive about pop music
    thirsty fists <[email protected]> -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @05:39AM (#158787)
    (User #149 Info)
    "world's ugliest boy"
  • Johnny Marr looked like Roy Orbison.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 21 2005, @06:40AM (#158917)
  • The footage was from 'Whistle Test' taken during the recording of Meat is Murder. From memory the footage mainly was shot over the recording of Nowhere Fast. As part of the original broadcast Moz and Johnny were interviewed by Tony Blair's band mate, Mark Ellen. He misquoted a few lines from Nowhere Fast and referred to Meat is Murder as The Smiths "Sergeant Pepper".
    Eskimo Puppy -- Thursday April 21 2005, @08:31AM (#158932)
    (User #14005 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]