posted by davidt on Monday April 18 2005, @09:00AM
Frances sends the review (no source indicated):

By Shannon Long
Published: Friday, April 15, 2005

Let me begin this review by saying that live albums are generally made for the fans of an artist. That being said, I am a fan of the work of Morrissey (moreso for his work with the Smiths than his solo work, but a fan nonetheless). Live at Earl's Court is a documentation of a concert Morrissey played in London to a crowd of 17,183 people on December 18, 2004. This concert is important because it came soon after the release of his first album in seven years, You Are the Quarry; and the strength of this album is demonstrated here by the fact that its tracks stand up next to Morrissey classics.
The concert starts off with "How Soon Is Now" one of the Smith's most popular singles, and then one of the best tracks off of You Are the Quarry and what I consider to be one of his best singles in many, many years, "First of the Gang to Die" after which he says to his audience, "Thank you for coming here. Thank you for being you." He then follows with a Morrissey classic, "November Spawned a Monster." He continues performing the old and the new, closing with "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me," in what amounts to quite an enjoyable live performance.

The renditions of the Smiths songs "Big Mouth Strikes Again," "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out," "Shoplifters of the World Unite," and the already mentioned "How Soon is Now" and "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me," are, of course, not the same without Johnny Marr, but they end up being quite good. He cleverly replaces 'Walkman' in "Bigmouth Strikes Again" with "iPod."
He covers Patti Smith's "Redondo Beach," which is a good cover indeed and deserves its status as a single for the album. The performance of "I Have Forgiven Jesus" here is particularly good as well, and should be noted.

The issue should be addressed that many people just don't like Morrissey. Every artist has his/her detractors I'm sure. Morrissey certainly has his; critics were often brutal during the late nineties. Besides professional critics, many people can't get over Morrissey, the man.

The fact is that Morrissey is rather melodramatic, and it may seem that he seldom writes a joyous song. While there are several Morrissey songs that seem to be cheerful and rather witty to me, Morrissey is more well known for songs with titles such as "Never Had No One Ever" and "Miserable Lie." He is often portrayed as overly glum and a poster boy for "sensitive" types. There may be much truth to these portrayals, but I think the music of Morrissey is enjoyed by many types of people.

Despite the many who are critical of Morrissey's talents, he has been quite successful. He can hardly be seen as a mere figure of an underground subculture, and he's well known. While some people may not like the idea of Morrissey being a "mainstream" figure, he certainly has achieved that status in his native country and is certainly not too terribly far from it here.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • That has to be the most pointless piece of writing I have read in a long time (I won't even flatter it by calling it a review or anything near journalism). It's not critical or insightful it is slightly descriptive I suppose and the writer does have a great flair for stating the obvious. If this actually was published anywhere other than this message board, the editor of that publication/website, should be ashamed of himself.
    Cazza -- Monday April 18 2005, @09:05AM (#158416)
    (User #8712 Info)
    God give me patience, just no more conversation
  • Morrissey haters beware [theprofileonline.com]
    someraincoatedlovers -- Monday April 18 2005, @10:30AM (#158450)
    (User #10290 Info)
  • When I made the link, registration wasn't needed, but now it is, so it probably isn't worth the time going to. I don't know if sites like that let everyone access to the link for free for a certain amount of time and then later require registration.
    someraincoatedlovers -- Monday April 18 2005, @11:05AM (#158468)
    (User #10290 Info)
  • I thought the artical read quite well. OK, not the most detailed review so far, but certainly it was the most positive with background info for any new moz fans out there aswell. Give the kid a break!
    Anonymous -- Monday April 18 2005, @11:08AM (#158469)
  • No, I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculously amateurish 'review'. I can't actually figure out the point of it; it starts as a rubbish review, and ends as a vague discussion of Moz as a person.

My main problem with it though, is that it paints a pretty negative picture of Moz and Moz fans. If I read an article like that about some other artist, I might perceive said artist/fans as being perhaps a bit low-brow (for want of a better term).
    Stu Walsh -- Monday April 18 2005, @12:07PM (#158479)
    (User #2312 Info)
    • Re:wsgwpiyd by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 18 2005, @01:36PM
  • Bigmouth Marr (Score:1, Interesting)

Bigmouth is actually rather shy on Live at Earls Court. Agreed, Gary's bass punch is much better than Rourke's, and Dean is a quality replacement for the original part. And in general, for the Smiths songs Moz is still playing, Marr isn't missed at all. But Bigmouth is different - Bigmouth is where Marr and Moz happily kill all competition. Bigmouth is one big kick in the balls. On Live at Earls Court, it sounds more like a slap on the face.

What people tend to overlook, is that Marr was just as cocky as Moz for the instrumental parts written by The Smiths: Marr and only Marr takes the full credits. And he was hardly welcoming a second guitarist. Fact is: he didn't need one. Both Moz and Marr are unique creative talents. All the rest is entertainment.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 18 2005, @01:35PM (#158501)
  • that is about as weak a review as ihav ever read and icommonly read amateur reviews in school papers and such.
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @07:07AM (#158629)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • Hearing aid... (Score:0, Redundant)

He also never says that her hearing aid started to melt either.
    palare -- Tuesday April 19 2005, @07:56AM (#158636)
    (User #152 Info | http://worldofabrahan.com/)
    where the world's ugliest boy became what you see...
  • I didn't know whether to laugh or cry

broken
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 20 2005, @03:39AM (#158778)

[ home | terms of service ]