posted by davidt on Thursday April 14 2005, @09:00AM
Kent Brockman writes:

Alain Whyte of Morrissey's band returns to the stage after a brief break from performing. Whyte, currently in a Los Angeles recording studio with producer David Newton (Mighty Lemon Drops, Fonda, The Blood Arm,) is working on an album with his band, Red Lightening. Having co-written many of the songs on Morrissey's critically acclaimed and commercially successful album, "You Are The Quarry", Whyte now turns his focus towards his new band which draws influence from U2, The Clash, The Cult, The Smiths and Morrissey.

Backing Whyte are John DiMambro on Bass (Down by Law, Agent Orange, & Gentleman Jack Grisham of T.S.O.L.) and Milo Todesco (Down by Law) on drums.

A small break in the recording schedule has allowed time for a public outing of what Whyte and his band have been up to. Saturday, April 30th will be an intimate night with Alain Whyte and his band, Red Lightening at Zen Sushi. Their only U.S. appearance.

Place:
Zen Sushi
2609 Hyperion Ave.
Los Angeles (Silverlake), CA 90027
Price:
$10
Saturday April 30th
18+
Doors at 8 p.m.

Advance Tix
www.virtuous.com

Presented by
www.clubunderground.net
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Yes, but will he play with Morrissey again?
    midson -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:05AM (#157830)
    (User #247 Info)
    • Re:Yes, but... by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 20 2005, @05:02AM
  • I really hope he hasn't been booted out of Camp Morrissey.
    John
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:10AM (#157833)
  • Goodbye Alain.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:15AM (#157838)
  • Welcome back Alain, you've been missed.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:18AM (#157839)
  • I thought the company line was that he was sick? Maybe he was simply sick of Morrissey's endless bitching.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:19AM (#157840)
  • Pretty Full on Punk band heritage guys supporting him - wonder if the music will match the members?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:22AM (#157841)
  • I jumped out of my chair upon reading this. Is he still in Morrissey's band, or is Jessie a permanent fixture?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:44AM (#157848)
  • just ask him (Score:1, Insightful)

there are going to be dozens (at least) of serious morrissey fans at this "intimate evening". i guarantee that he'll be asked if he's fallen out with morrissey oh, about 100 times that night. the day after this event, we'd better have some answers.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:50AM (#157852)
  • Of course he's no longer in Morrissey's band. If he was still in the group do you think he'd have missed most of their largest tour in over a decade or have taken his time off to write songs for a new band which he's been rehearsing with for almost a year or more ? That's okay, good luck to him. I'm sure Morrissey restricts his songwriting anyway and he's tired of the Singer always coming first. Songwriting is the real hard work... singing is purely enjoyable, even if you can't do it ! So I guess he'd prefer to go it alone and charge $10.00 a gig than $80.00 each performance because he wants to do what he loves. He stayed longer and more faithfully than most. Once again, good luck and many of us will look into your new band !

Do you think he might read this ?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:51AM (#157853)
    • Re:Of course ! by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 14 2005, @09:54AM
    • or maybe ... by suzanne (Score:1) Thursday April 14 2005, @10:41AM
  • But this still doesn't mean the final nail has been set in the coffin. Boz has recorded and played solo and with others, too- does that mean he's been out of the band but he never knew it? Sorta like Milton on "Office Space?" Alain has been involved with Johnny Panic, Crash Action and the Motivators while still in the Morrissey fold. This means nothing as far as I'm concerened and I won't mourn until we hear official word that he left the band.

Whatever happens, I wish nothing but the best of luck to Alain. He inspired me to fit a matching Bigsby on my Gretsch Jet Firebird!
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @09:55AM (#157856)
  • If he's not with Morrissey anymore.

But this doesn't really make things clear

Is this an official press release? If so, describing yourself as "of Morrissey's band" seems to suggest there is still some kind of relationship there. If there was acrimony he wouldn't do that would he? Unless it was to piss Morrissey off.

But starting a new band seems to pretty much rule out him being involved in any Summer gigs Morrissey does.

Just a short statement from Alain or Morrissey now he is better (if he was ill) wouldn't hurt would it?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @10:14AM (#157859)
  • Do you think it should be Red LIGHTNING (not LightEning)? And if so, who is not spelling it right, the poster or the band?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @10:26AM (#157860)
  • ....Morrissey will collaborate with Johnny Marr within the next two years.

It's guaranteed.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @10:35AM (#157864)
  • alain who? (Score:1, Flamebait)

I hope he's gone for good. now, perhaps Boz can be forced out (or get a trainer -- fat ass).

Bring back Vini Reilly and the glory days or find someone new and hungry who can make things interesting as Morrissey's jowels expand with age.
    hergle -- Thursday April 14 2005, @10:49AM (#157872)
    (User #12197 Info)
    • Re:alain who? by Anonymous (Score:0) Thursday April 14 2005, @11:59AM
    • Re:alain who? by Richey (Score:1) Friday April 15 2005, @03:21AM
    • Re:alain who? by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 18 2005, @01:45PM
  • 4 - eva!
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @10:50AM (#157873)
  • this looks like bad news if one want's alain back in the morrissey fold.

i mean, he's obviously recovered from whatever illness he was suffering from due to the fact that he's performing and recording again. since this seems to be the case, he should be well enough to join the band again. alas, he's still not in the band.

there's something going on besides his "illness." a clash with morrissey? the others in the band? boz has reported on his site that he bumped into whyte in london and that he was "itching to play" again.

so what's the real reason? i'm surprised the NME or a publication of the same nature hasn't investigated the matter.
    eugenius -- Thursday April 14 2005, @11:16AM (#157880)
    (User #1665 Info | http://www.cherryplucker.com/)
    I'm almost sure you can do better than that.
  • There's no point in getting worried that he's not coming back just yet. Just a bit longer & we'll find out at the Isle of Wight Festival. At least he's still out & about playing music.

Just glad he's not seriously ill. Happy days.
    Keely -- Thursday April 14 2005, @11:31AM (#157883)
    (User #13344 Info)
  • Alain and his back are back! Very happy to see the name at the top of the news page. Confused like others about his status with Morrissey Inc. though.

Judging by the announcement, Red LightEning (is it a typo or a gerund of the verb lighten?) doesn't seem like the lets-warm-up-before-going-on-tour-with-Morrissey band that The Motivators were. Liked the perceptive (if speculative) comments from a poster above about Alain getting to do what he loves on his terms.
    Anyway, good to know Alain is healthy and back on the scene -- I hope he's not bombarded with Morrissey questions at his band's first gig.
    king leer -- Thursday April 14 2005, @11:56AM (#157885)
    (User #80 Info)
  • sooner or later... (Score:2, Insightful)

this would happen. Alain probably wanted a bigger cut of royalties...and rightfully so. Just because the song is Morrissery/Whyte, doesn't mean that the royalties are split equally. There could be agreements limiting this. If you think about it, a musician's career span is like an athlete's....Alain is clearly nearing the mid-point in his "earning years" and has decisions to make. Don't be fooled, Boz and Gary aren't living in the lap of luxury. You have to sell a lot of albums at a dime a song for royalties to make it worthwhile. And we all know about performing fees. I'm sure Alain never got 20% of ticket sales. More like $1,000 to $2,000 per show...that's it. If anyone in the Moz camp made more than $80K USD in 2004, I would be surprised.
    Fence -- Thursday April 14 2005, @12:22PM (#157890)
    (User #1034 Info)
    Heel in the back, size 13
  • I am overjoyed that Al is playing and since I just moved to california...I will so be there!!!!!
    WhyteGrrrl <[email protected]> -- Thursday April 14 2005, @12:23PM (#157891)
    (User #13540 Info | http://www.alainmatters.com/)
    No One Can Hold A Candle To You
  • How frustrating! I'll be out in the middle of the desert that night. I would have loved to have caught this show. If you're free and in LA that night, check this out. There's lots of talent in that group. Good luck to all involved!
    BlueGirl -- Thursday April 14 2005, @01:06PM (#157896)
    (User #63 Info | http://www.thebluegirl.com/)
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."- Anais Nin
  • Doctor's note - (Score:3, Insightful)

Dear Jim,

I hate it when musicians quit for undisclosed reasons only to mysteriously appear out of no-where later.

sincerely,

Mario Vazquez Valderrama

Look, it's too early to tell what the situation is. I think more hopeful minds are wishing that he's using this time with another band to get back into the flow of things and be ready for another Morrissey album and/or following tour. If he has cut loose from Moz, then all the best for him. He's a solid guy who's given Morrissey (and us) many great years. Only time will tell, likely around May 1st.

OUT
    Jim Rome -- Thursday April 14 2005, @01:27PM (#157901)
    (User #720 Info | http://www.jimrome.com/)
    ...and how?
  • I am a rock, i am northern ireland
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @02:21PM (#157913)
  • and still maintains a strong presence with moz. either way, we will soon find out whether or not alain will continue to play with the lads, either after this show, or depending on who shows up at iow.

on a side note, when i was younger i was a big fan of t.s.o.l. and agent orange, but let's face it...any of those bands' members' recent creative endeavors (and by recent i pretty much mean ever since the early days of both bands) have been pretty atrocius. but who knows what playing with alain could do for them.
    jp.5.22 -- Thursday April 14 2005, @03:04PM (#157920)
    (User #12669 Info)
  • Now where is it Morrissey lives these days?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @03:15PM (#157922)
  • cool...i hope alain is doing vocals.
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @03:24PM (#157924)
  • Well if I get a chance to chat with him before or after he show: I will ask him what the latest is with his Morrissey career. I will include pix and video I take. And then of course the ussual wave of insults will come at me for being me - but at least the Moz and Whyte fanz will know the scoop ;^)

Cheers,

Jay
    I'm really just Some Totally Random Moz Fan
  • What about Moz?? (Score:1, Interesting)

Do you think the old Mozzer will show up to support White- or be will he be bitter & a no show... White has been with him thru think and thin.....its the respectable thing to do....
    parish -- Thursday April 14 2005, @08:52PM (#157974)
    (User #12102 Info)
    I am hated for loving......
  • Why does everyone in the world of Morrissey act like it's so difficult to communicate with fans????????????????

Alain, I'll certainly give your new band a listen, and I look forward to it. You never got the credit you deserved for all the top songs you wrote with Morrissey, Boz, and the rest. But I'll be playing those songs for the rest of my life! Thanks!

I don't know if this means Alain is parting ways with Morrissey, but my gut tells me he has. So where does that leave us? Who knows....... It had better not delay a new Morrissey album!!

You L.A. douches had better find out the facts on April 30th and report here ASAP!
    LoafingOaf <reversethis-{moc ... otstnilfcitnarf}> -- Friday April 15 2005, @12:32AM (#157983)
    (User #778 Info)
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
  • I heard that Moz and Alain had a row because Alain said Moz was 'the ugliest git' he'd ever seen just before going on stage at Dublin Castle last year. Moz responded by saying Alain could go and take a jump as Boz was obviously far uglier. That's why Alain left the band straight after that gig.Moz is now going to release a single called 'Ugly Boz was Moz' next week which will explain everything.Patience kids! Irish legs, English elbows.
    hindley -- Friday April 15 2005, @01:24AM (#157986)
    (User #13724 Info)
    • Re:Too ugly by langworthy (Score:1) Friday April 15 2005, @06:04AM
  • Can anybody tell me what happened between Alain and Morrissey? Will they work together again?
    Anonymous -- Friday April 15 2005, @02:58AM (#157991)
  • Wouldn't it say 'ex' member of morrissey's band if he's gone?
    Keely -- Friday April 15 2005, @03:47AM (#157995)
    (User #13344 Info)
  • has alain whyte left Morrissey's band?
    Anonymous -- Friday April 15 2005, @04:34AM (#157998)
  • I hope the rest of this band will do the same! If johnny hears the live version of "Headmaster Ritual" he will throw himself away laughing. It's really laughable!! I would never go on stage with that wrong guitarplay. They don't even manage to hear out the notes. Not to even mention the playing. What a shame! Applause, for theres a light that never goes out, because this one is so simple to play, you need a 20 year guitarexperience to play the chords!
    RealWilliamNothing <reversethis-{ed. ... {ta} {shtimseht}> -- Friday April 15 2005, @06:08AM (#158005)
    (User #13972 Info)
  • given Alain has just co-written some of their most brilliant songs. FOTGTD, IBEH, YKICL, CBTC and DMFODV are among Morrissey's finest ever solo songs.

Even if Alain is ina new band, I hope they still write together. Maybe this is an opportunity Morrissey could use to broaden his songwriting base. I hear Brian Eno, Radiohead and Michael Stipe would love to write with him.

broken
    Anonymous -- Friday April 15 2005, @08:59AM (#158016)
  • not literally of course
    Anonymous -- Friday April 15 2005, @09:29AM (#158026)
  • Here's the link

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/05/03/01/0919216.shtml

I will make sure Alain is aware of this activity.
    In April/May there will be new activity that will make a great many things clear.
    Here is a clue
    "Lightening will strike and it will be Red"

Anonymous -- Wednesday March 02 2005, @11:47PM (#153025)
    Anonymous -- Friday April 15 2005, @10:26AM (#158041)
  • Morrissey & Marr unite & take over
    Anonymous -- Friday April 15 2005, @02:49PM (#158122)
  • Personally I'm very glad for Alan. He is tremendously talented and has given a lot to Moz! I can't wait for them to get something out and tour around!
    the write one <[email protected]> -- Friday April 15 2005, @03:55PM (#158133)
    (User #10056 Info | http://www.myspace.com/mozzapheliac)
    "it's my life to ruin my own way"

[ home | terms of service ]