posted by davidt on Monday April 11 2005, @09:00AM
handsome_devil writes:

Not bad, better result than the CD.

Top 40 Music DVDs and Videos : 10.04.2005
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • That is superb news.
    Wow!
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @09:50AM (#157301)
  • especially considering that so far most fans seem to have preferred the set list/sound quality of wptmim to laec.
    jp.5.22 -- Monday April 11 2005, @10:35AM (#157317)
    (User #12669 Info)
  • ...because I keep having to take my faulty copies back - every week it looks like another sale. Clever marketing indeed!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @03:07AM (#157412)
  • I like the "fan opinions" part although they could have chosen some more articulate fans to interview; the show was overall very good; and the extras were good.

I do think parts of the MEN gig were sub-standard though - notably "hairdresser on fire" and "Headmaster Ritual." Overall though, it's an 8/10 live DVD and it captures the essence of a Morrissey performance very well.

My main suggestion is I think instead of giving the promos as extras and a few repeated songs from Move, they should have compiled an alternative set-list taking in Earls Court, Move and Reading.

The set-list could have overlapped only slightly:

1 How Soon is Now (reading)
    2 First of the Gang to Die (move)
    3 November Spawned a Monster (Reading)
    4 Shakespeare's Sister (Move)
    5 Bigmouth Strikes Again (Earls Court)
    6 Everyday Is Like Sunday (move)
    7 The More You Ignore Me (Earls Court)
    8 Friday Mourning (Earls Court)
    9 Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice (move)
    10 You Know I Couldn't Last (Earls Court)
    11 Redondo Beach (Earls Court)
    12 Now My Heart is Full (Reading)
    13 Irish Blood English Heart (Reading)
    14 I Like You (Earls Court)
    encore:
    15 Last night I dreamt (Earls Court)

I think that would have been a lot more fulfilling than releasing the half-baked promos and repeating some of the set-list at Move.

I also don't think releasing the live CD simultaneously was that great an idea.

I'd have preferred the live CD from his forthcoming Isle of Wight show, hopefully with a more radically different set-list and some new songs.

broken
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 13 2005, @06:20AM (#157626)
  • (True and funny at the same time)

Morrissey ministers in concert DVD
    By Jake Coyle
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    There was a Catholic priest named Father Morrissey in the Connecticut town I grew up in, whose name forever colored my feelings about the British crooner - wrapping him in a vaguely religious aura.
    What's interesting is that Morrissey really always has been a minister to his own gospel.
    On the new DVD "Morrissey: Who Put the M in Manchester," the former Smiths frontman performs a concert in his hometown in front of a giant neon sign blaring his name. Throughout the show, the camera is sure to capture the many fans desperate to hurl themselves toward the stage, struggling over musclebound security guards just to touch the singer's hand.
    Bless me, Moz.
    Smiths fanatics will always lament Morrissey's split from guitarist Johnny Marr - but it must be said, some of his newest solo tunes sit respectably alongside Smiths classics.
    Morrissey's voice sounds remarkably strong on songs like "The World is Full of Crashing Bores" and "Irish Blood, English Heart" - both off his 2004 disc "You Are the Quarry."
    Always renown for his poetic, intimate lyrics, Morrissey also places himself in the realm of deity on "I Have Forgiven Jesus." But a greater lyrical achievement is one of those old Smiths classics performed here: "Rubber Ring." It remains one of the best songs ever written about listening to songs.
    But "Who Put the M in Manchester" offers little healing. Instead, the DVD is more of a shining altar to a worthy, but comically bigheaded, well-dressed idol.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/living/community/11376447.htm

someraincoatedlovers -- Wednesday April 13 2005, @08:41AM (#157650)
    (User #10290 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]