posted by davidt on Monday April 11 2005, @09:00AM
earnest writes:

On the german website laut.de there is an interview with New Order and they were questioned about the "Manchester-legend Morrissey". They talked about meeting him in 2002 on an airport and Morrissey endlessly moaning about having no record deal. They further consider the actual album a great thing and love the title of the DVD. For that, one should send him some cocaine - if he didn't have already something for that occasion, they further explain.

They also describe him as a "bastard" and mention that everybody in Manchester hates him. Here is the link for our German speaking fans:

"Man sollte Morrissey dringend Koks schicken!" - laut.de
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • someone translate this one!
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Monday April 11 2005, @09:19AM (#157293)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
    • Re:oh please... (Score:2, Informative)

here you are, and I hope the translation is quite proper. I was quite amused by this interview:

Eine andere Manchester-Legende, die gerade wieder immensen Erfolg genießt, ist Morrissey.
      [Q: another legend of Manchester, who has again an immense success, is Morrissey]

Hook: Well, er war aber nie wirklich weg, oder?
      [well, he hasn`t been away all the time, hasn`t he?]

Morris: Wir trafen Morrissey mal am Flughafen in Dublin, nachdem wir diesen Gig mit den Chili Peppers gespielt hatten (im Sommer 2002, Anm. d. Red.). Wir warteten gerade auf den Flug nach Manchester und Gillian unterhielt sich aufgeregt mit ihm, schließlich ist sie ja ein großer Morrissey-Fan. Naja, und er jammerte ihr die ganze Zeit vor, dass er keinen Plattenvertrag bekäme, dass ihn niemand leiden könne usw.
      [We met Morrissey once at the airport in Dublin, after playing with Red Hot Chilis (summer 2002). We have been waiting for the flight to Manchester and Gillian was talking nervous with him, as she is a great Morrissey-fan. Well, he moant all the time about having no record deal and that nobody loves him and so on]

Hook: Sagte sie ihm, dass dies daran liege, dass er ein Trottel ist? (lacht)
      [Did she say to him, that this is due to the fact that he is a twat? (laughing)]

Morris: Wer weiß ... er stand jedenfalls da wie ein begossener Pudel. Armer Morrissey, niemand will dir einen Plattenvertrag geben. (lacht) Na jedenfalls war ich nicht zuletzt aufgrund dieser Geschichte schon ein klein wenig überrascht, als uns Morrissey dann kürzlich wieder erschien, um den ihm zustehenden Platz als König des Universums einzunehmen.
      [Who knows.... he stood there like a wet poodle. Poor Morrissey, nobody wants to give you a record deal (laughing). Anyway I was a bit surprised, as M. apeared again, in order to take again his position as King of the Universe]

Hook: Sein Album ist wirklich gut und die Single ist großartig. Was er aber wirklich drauf hat, ist die unverschämte Art und Weise, mit der er es den Leuten in Manchester immer wieder reindrückt. Denn jeder einzelne Mensch in Manchester hasst Morrissey nunmal wie die Pest. Niemand hat dort ein gutes Wort für ihn übrig, denn jeder hatte eben schonmal irgendwie mit ihm zu tun, und Morrissey ist halt einfach ein ziemlicher Bastard. Aber ich liebe den Titel seiner neuen DVD ...
      [His album is really good and the single is excellent. What he really knows, is the insolent manner how he deals with people from Manchester. See, everybody in Manchester hates his guts, because everybody already had to do with him in the past. Nobody talks good about him and M. simply is a kind of bastard. But I love the title of his new DVD]

Morris: Oh ja!

Hook: Der Titel ist "Who Put The 'M' in Manchester"! Was für ein verdammter Drecksack! Wenn er da nicht schon Koks intus hatte, sollte man ihm für diese Aktion dringend etwas vorbei schicken. Fuckin' great! Er musste sich eine Zeit lang ja wirklich buchstäblich von jedem Einwohner fernhalten. Immer wenn er in Manchester oder irgendwo in der Gegend auftritt, checkt er höchstpersönlich die Gästeliste, um sicher zu gehen, dass ja niemandem Eintritt gewährt wird, er ihm dumm kommen könnte.
      [the title...what a louse, (dirtbag or whatever)! If he didn't have any cocaine by that occassion (finding the title) one should send him urgently some. fuckin great! He did have to avoid being in M. Always when he is in M., he always checks the guest lists, to be sure that nobody is there who bothers him]

Klingt wichtig.
      [q:sounds important]

Hook: Und ob! Aber so ist das eben. Morrissey ist kein netter Zeitgenosse. Er ist einfach kein netter Mensch. Daran besteht nun wirklich kein Zweifel.
      in deed! But that's the way it is. M. is not a nice fellow. He simply is not a nice person. There is absolutely no doubt about that]
      earnest -- Monday April 11 2005, @10:02AM (#157306)
      (User #13596 Info)
  • They are really into his music but he' a terrible person.
    I think I've heard this one before...
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @09:19AM (#157294)
  • I have never heard of them? Are they any good?

Signed,
    Someone Who Cares
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @09:24AM (#157296)
  • after dissing the cure they speak about Moz saying that he is a real bastard that nobody likes, because nearly everybody in manchester had to deal with him in a very bad way. they say he has to check the guest list whenever performing in the area in order to get out without trouble and that he isn't a nice guy at all. but they seem to love the album (the live album or quarry?). and the title of the dvd made a deep impression. they see Morrissey as an arrogant bastard it seems. before they mentioned seeing him at an airport where he would complain endlessly about not being loved and out of a record deal. they say he looked like a whining loser.

well i didn't like new order before, so what.

zweikiesel
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @09:27AM (#157297)
  • Why did so many turn out for him at the MEN? Did no Manchester people go?

Or do they mean all the "important" people in Manchester hate him? Probably a good thing.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @09:45AM (#157300)
  • 'Cocaine'?....'Bastard'?... 'Everybody in Manchester hates him'?

I know that this Site is often desperate for some Sensible material, but this is well beyond a joke.

I'm telling you, the Press will get somebody Murdered one of these days.
    mick ransommich -- Monday April 11 2005, @09:56AM (#157303)
    (User #8642 Info)
    'Two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less travelled by. And that has made all the difference'.
    • Re:Eh? by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 11 2005, @11:22AM
  • Like fucking New Order would say that. And if they did they are back stabbing bastards !!, I've seen many a photos of Peter Hook clinging onto the shoulders of Morrissey. Damn those Germans !! TWATS !!
    Hello Indie -- Monday April 11 2005, @10:13AM (#157310)
    (User #13749 Info | http://somedizzywhore.com/)
    Somedizzywhore.com offers free jars of beetroot for the elderly.
  • 1. what's with this coccaine business? someone i know told me they were convinced morrissey was bumping coke in the men's room of the cat and the fiddle when they saw him there a few months back, now there's an allusion to the same in this interview. granted we've all done our share of partying, but for some reason i just can't picture moz being into it. i wonder how true this is, but would hope the rumor mills don't start up. the man deserves more privacy than we allow him, especially in that regard.

2. when in was younger, i thought about getting the design from new order's "movement" cover tattooed on my arm. i'm now very glad that i got some sense back and got my morrissey tattoo instead.

3. i now feel better about not having bought those nyc new order tickets for $60 a piece, even though they have always been dear to me. i figure i can put that money towards seeing the "ever hated" morrissey next time he comes around, god willing.
    jp.5.22 -- Monday April 11 2005, @10:14AM (#157311)
    (User #12669 Info)
    • p.s. by jp.5.22 (Score:1) Monday April 11 2005, @10:21AM
      • Re:p.s. by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 13 2005, @12:19AM
  • Nuff said, bitches.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @10:50AM (#157319)
  • has been inspiring Barney lyric-wise, for a while now?
    No, not Charles and Camilla. Try again.

Of course, why do I bother, no one on this site will be interested, as usual...

(Barney's not Chloe, is he little Morrissey fans?) *snigger*
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @11:25AM (#157330)
  • They met Morrissey once and he happened to feel sad about not having a record deal (and he said so) and they judiciously conclude that he is 'not a nice person'?

They seem somewhat worse to me.
    Poppycocteau -- Monday April 11 2005, @12:17PM (#157340)
    (User #9489 Info)
    We are ugly but we have the music
  • I guess a bastard can be a
    term of endearment, especially
    if your south of the Mason/Dixon line?
    No, I guess not.

Poor Morrissey. No prophet is
    accepted in his hometown, is he?
    mozmic_dancer -- Monday April 11 2005, @12:44PM (#157349)
    (User #11277 Info)
    "I am the fun and the fair, on a Mozsite for the criminally insane..."
  • Firstly, in the heat of the battle, I see myself more than worthy to respond to these totally untrue and completely preposterous stories - read total lies.

I provided information on this German Internet publication, for all users here, on the message board on April 7th under the title 'Germany Calling - Translators Required for New Order Interview. Some Morrissey' And for anyone interested in that, Tingle then came back with some excellent translations which were very much appreciated ! Anyhow, back to the story

"They also describe him as a "bastard" and mention that everybody in Manchester hates him. "

I have to put this on record that this is complete rubbish. Even on Hooky's dark days (and there have been many) he wouldn't come out with comments like these in the press or in private. No longer under the influence of drink, Hooky has always been New Orders most outspoken member but he couples this with a great soul, rythym and consistantly fantastic guitar performances.

In response to the rumours posted afterwards:

JP5.22 " 1. what's with this coccaine business? someone i know told me they were convinced morrissey was bumping coke in the men's room of the cat and the fiddle when they saw him there a few months back, now there's an allusion to the same in this interview. granted we've all done our share of partying, but for some reason i just can't picture moz being into it. i wonder how true this is, but would hope the rumor mills don't start up. the man deserves more privacy than we allow him, especially in that regard."

The answer is that these comments are completely untrue. At the above pub, at any pub, anywhere, at any time. This is completely wrong, totally unfair and absolutely untrue.

Q: mick ransommich
    "'Cocaine'?....'Bastard'?... 'Everybody in Manchester hates him'? I know that this Site is often desperate for some Sensible material, but this is well beyond a joke. I'm telling you, the Press will get somebody Murdered one of these days. "

- Despite not being everyone's cup of tea, both Morrissey and New Order continue to be the inspiration for a whole host of UK bands. The music world would be in a very sorry state without them and this is not a battle between New Order and Morrissey.

I urge all Morrissey fans to click away and not to get involved in this post. There are better things to write about here - the latest DVD and the live DVD - or at MorrisseyMusic.

Strawberry
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @12:56PM (#157353)
  • That's Moz (Score:2, Insightful)

We hear alot about how Moz is difficult to get along with, and how....he has his own way of doing things. I don't think Moz has ever adapted to being well-liked. In the music industry, just as in the entertainment industry as a whole, niceness alone doesn't get you anywhere. Moz was never known to be a nice guy. And why should he be? He's a musical genius, most people recognize that, and people that say otherwise, i'm betting jealousy has more to do with it than an objective opinion on the man.

Let's face it, people (celebrities) who are used to getting things their way, can't stand it when they don't. I'm not saying Moz isn't the same way, but these stories we hear tend to sound bogus. They met Morrissey at an airport and he moaned about not having a record deal and nobody loving him? Either these guys are making this stuff up, or Moz just didn't feel like making small talk. That's what alot of these musicians want from each other, just like people in our everyday lives. You clones know how it goes: at work, at the market; bored people make some kind of generic comment, then you comment back even though you may just want to be left alone, you don't want to be rude.

That's a quality Moz just doesn't have. Fans are different. He'll take the time out to say hello back. But if he doesn't feel like talking to you, he won't. And why the hell should he? He's freaking Morrissey! If you aren't kissing this man's ASS when you meet him, then you probably shouldn't even be talking to him. Even if you do, it's no guarantee that he'll welcome you. Just ask Boy George.

Don't worry about what these clowns from New Order say. Don't get me wrong, I dug Joy Division. But I haven't met anyone who is a hardcore fan of New Order. Most people I know just listen casually....or....will go to their concerts to remind themselves of the 80's. Moz still makes quality music...they don't. If the best insult they have for Moz is 'twat', they have a long way to go. C'mon New Order, you're better than that. Then again, they never were known for their lyrics.

OUT
    Jim Rome -- Monday April 11 2005, @03:18PM (#157374)
    (User #720 Info | http://www.jimrome.com/)
    ...and how?
  • Peter Hook has been working with Andy recently and in an article in the Guardian introduced him as the bass player who Morrissey once sacked from the Smiths (funny how Marr gets off scot free with that episode when Andy was meant to be his best mate - why wasn't the note signed "Morrissey and Johnny"?).

Just something to bear in mind if you're wondering how objective he is.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @03:31PM (#157376)
  • Morrissey's gone on record several times in interviews describing New Order and Joy Division as being boring and crappy. Moz/Smiths are clearly better, but turnabout is most certainly fair play.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @04:13PM (#157381)
  • Hook was the one who slagged Morrissey off for the picture outside the Salford Lads club. Even Joyce defended Morrissey on that one.

He's also said in interviews that Morrissey is jealous of Ian Curtis and wants to commit suicide like him in order to become more of a legend.

Of course some of you will believe every word he says because you want to.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 11 2005, @11:50PM (#157401)
    • Re:Lads Club by dewdrop (Score:0) Tuesday April 12 2005, @04:54AM
      • Re:Lads Club by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 12 2005, @08:24AM
      • Re:Lads Club by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 13 2005, @05:00AM
  • I think I shall continue to like them both. My bigger concern is whether New Order's new album is any good at all - their last one came and went and troubles my ears no more.
    sadlad -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @01:47AM (#157406)
    (User #5434 Info)
  • Snowblind (Score:2, Insightful)

First up, in my humble opinion JOY DIVISION (and NEW ORDER, for Tony Wilson's sake) and THE SMITHS (as well as Morrissey-Solo, for Steven's sake) were not only the greatest Mancunian bands ever, but THE best ever! Both had the perfect connection of lyrics, music and packaging/image, where any of those alone would have probably set them apart from anyone else, but as a whole it made them both the deserved legends they -still- are in one way or another. They both really mean the world to me, and unless someone's pointing a gun at me head, I couldn't choose whom I'd prefer eventually. So, reading interviews with any of both parties is always interesting anyway, but especially when they talk about each other. When it comes to that particular one, I don't think you can blame NEW ORDER for anything, as they didn't say anything outrageous nasty about him. First up, NEW ORDER -despite their "serious" image- have always taken the piss out of anyone (themselves included), which is something a lot of bands/performers should learn, not to take yourself TOO seriously in the end. Then they've just revealed nothing new, saying that Morrissey isn't the most easy-going person around. Let's face it, can ALL those people having had their problems with him be wrong. Although I always tend to think, that the truth does always lie in-between, there must probably be some truth in there. I mean, come on, one prime example is, that he NEVER ever had the guts to sack one personally, he always had someone else do the dirty work for him. Also I remember, when I got into THE SMITHS (and later on his solo work), I was quite surprised, when I found out, that the same person writing the most sensitve and compassionate lyrics ever (besides Ian, that is) mostly appeard to be a self-centered primadonna in the music press. In retrospect it all made sense, seeing the whole picture of ALL his carreer, but it does prove, that there's a side to him, that was shown more than once I'd say. Before anyone gets me wrong, I actually LOVE him for exact that stubbornness, but you can't blame anyone, being a bit disillusioned (for a lack of better word...)about having to deal with him personally in a more unpleasant way. After all, let's be content, that both are still doing, what they do best, releasing records that are hardly matched in their field, like "Waiting for the sirens' call" and "You are the quarry". whether you like them, or not!
    Opolus -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @05:26AM (#157422)
    (User #5987 Info)
    "Slit my eyes, for they'll remember..."
    • Re:Snowblind by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 12 2005, @06:17AM
    • Re:Snowblind by gonzax (Score:1) Tuesday April 12 2005, @07:25AM
    • Re:Snowblind by borntohang1968 (Score:1) Tuesday April 12 2005, @08:34AM
  • I think that anything New Order would know about Morrissey - that we don't already know - would have come directly from Johnny's mouth.

Which is sad to think.
    palare -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @08:01AM (#157456)
    (User #152 Info | http://worldofabrahan.com/)
    where the world's ugliest boy became what you see...
  • I'm a Northern Bastard myself and proud of it!!! I don't think that the Germans understand the British sense of humour, and especially the dry Northern humour of Peter Hook and Bernard Sumner. You could say whtever you wanted to a German reporter, either sarcastically, in a piss taking way, or with tongue firmly in cheek and they would not have a clue what the joke was, as in "Everbody In Manchester Hates him" and Send Him Some Cocaine". they are having a laugh, get over it. People slagging off New Order on here are just ignorant pricks, who are probably not from Northern England. New Order are one of the greatest bands ever, and are so much better than Joy Division ever where. People who go on endlessly about Joy Division usually only know one song. I was lucky enough to see Joy Divsion twice live, and were a great live band, but musically New Order are a lot better. Not quite as good as The Smiths, but not far away. Electronic where great as well, all of Johnny Marr's greatest moments, outside of The Smiths, were on the first two Electronic albums, where he worked with Bernard Sumner, if you havn't heard them give them a listen.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @08:07AM (#157458)
  • in the history of recorded music.
    Their most famous song, Blue Mondays, is a horribly dated slice of naff, eighties synth-pop; the indie-equivalent of Aga Doo.
    Bernie Summer is without doubt the worst lyricist of all time. Marr wrote some truly inspiraitonal pieces of music for Electric but every one of them was let down by unbelievably dim-witted lyrics and a p*** poor vocal delivery.
    Thank the lord their current comeback is falling on its ar*e.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @10:12AM (#157481)
  • Seeing as New Order can be so foul-mouthed, it isn’t inconceivable that this was what they were getting up to when they were small:

A 7 year old and a 4 year old are upstairs in their bedroom. "You know what?" says the 7 year old, "I think it's about time we start swearing."
    The 4 year old nods his head in approval.
    "When we go downstairs for breakfast I'm gonna swear first, then you swear after me, ok?"
    "Ok" the 4 year old agrees with enthusiasm.
    The mother walks into the kitchen and asks the 7 year old what he wants for breakfast.
    "Oh, shit mum, I guess I'll have some Coco Pops."
    WHACK!! He flew out of his chair, tumbled across the kitchen floor, got up, and ran upstairs crying his eyes out.
    She looked at the 4 year old and asked with a stern voice, "And what do YOU want for breakfast, young man?!"
    "I don't know," he blubbers, "but you can bet your fuckin' ass it won't be Coco Pops."
    goinghome -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @01:23PM (#157531)
    (User #12673 Info)
    • Congrats by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 12 2005, @01:58PM
      • Re:Congrats by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 13 2005, @07:17AM
        • Re:Congrats by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 13 2005, @07:22AM
          • Re:Congrats by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 13 2005, @09:18AM
            • Re:Congrats by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 13 2005, @05:43PM
        • Re:Congrats by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 13 2005, @07:23AM
    • Re:The ‘c(cocaine?)’ word! by Anonymous (Score:0) Wednesday April 13 2005, @06:00PM
  • A few of points.

Firstly, although we're all Morrissey fans, this is far from the first time we've heard that he is somewhat of a primadonna. I like his music as much as the next guy, but I'm guessing there is at least some basis behind all the comments, considering the range of people that share this opinion. Not to mention that the man himself occasionally comes off as somewhat egotistic and childish in his own interviews.

Secondly, this is NEW ORDER. They, along with The Smiths were the biggest band in Manchester in '80s. I'm sure they've crossed paths with Morrissey more times than they care to remember. Bernard has known Johnny since 1982, and I recall reading that all of the Smiths have enjoyed nights and the Hacienda (the club New Order used to own), both partying and performing. I think you can all assume at least this much: they know Morrissey far better than you do.

And lastly, for the people knocking New Order as musicians, why be so petty? Peter Hook paid Morrissey a great compliment about his album (when - let's face it - Morrissey has been nothing but nasty about their work and most would say unjustifiably so) and according to Stephen Morris, Gillian Gilbert (his wife and a former New Order member) is a big fan, just like you.
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @04:36PM (#157569)
  • ...right behind The Smiths (1) & The Cure (2).

My top three albums of all time...

1. Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
    2. Disintegration - The Cure
    3. Substance - New Order
    Az Moz Fan -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @09:34PM (#157599)
    (User #1326 Info)
  • I ran across this as well from a Cure fan's website ("A Chain of Flowers"), but I'm not sure if it's from the same article. Mr Hook must have been drunk or on drugs. Why else would he be doing so? He sounds like a miserable old man to me. Bastard!
    ---

Talking about Curiosa, New Order ask if The Cure had mentioned them as an inspiration, because "these bastards" [Cure] copied them [N-O] from head to toe as N-O member Hook states.

"I doubt that The Cure had an influence on the Curiosa band selection. I imagine them [Cure] saying [impersonating Robert I guess]
    Ohhh yeah? Are they any good? No, haven´t heard of them. New Order? Yes, they are good."
    Az Moz Fan -- Wednesday April 13 2005, @04:46AM (#157621)
    (User #1326 Info)
  • you guys should babelfish this thing..
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 13 2005, @06:08PM (#157778)

[ home | terms of service ]