posted by davidt on Sunday April 10 2005, @09:00AM
Belligerent Ghoul writes:

Here is another article on this subject:

Morrissey under the microscope by Paul Taylor, Manchester Online

---
Ken Barlow also writes:

The Sunday Times is not impressed by the Irish academics who have made the upcoming academic symposium on the Smiths in Manchester possible. Full text is as follows:

"The flag-wavers strike again

Irish academics are responsible for the preposterous symposium on the music of the Smiths taking place this weekend at Manchester Metropolitan University. The three-day seminar was the brainchild of Sean Campbell and Justin O’Connor, second-generation Irish professors of cultural studies in British universities.

The Smiths were formed in early 1980s Manchester by Stephen Patrick Morrissey, whose parents hail from Crumlin, in Dublin, and Johnny Marr (formerly Maher) who has Kildare connections. Clearly besotted with the subject, Campbell is writing a treatise about the influence of second-generation Irish artists on English music, with reference to the Smiths, John Lydon, Elvis Costello, Shane MacGowan etc.

However, a more useful academic study should be undertaken into why so many Irish scholars are so eager to attribute bogus nationalistic depth to stylish cultural surfaces. In the wise words of a Smiths classic, what difference does it make?"

As an Irish Smiths and Morrissey fan I'm probably biased but it sounds more fascinating to me than studying marketing or the like.
The hard copy has a charming shot of Mozzer tugging at his blazer although the online edition is photoless.
URL for online edition (subscription required)

---
sadie79 also writes:

An article on The Smiths Symposium in Manchester this weekend was featured in the Norwegian newspaper Dagsavisen today (Friday 8th). Basically the article is about a Norwegian music Student (Siv Tonje Håkensen) who is going to Manchester this weekend to give two Smiths related lectures based on her one-term course (" 'I never realized you wrote such bloody awful poetry': The performance of words and music in 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side'"). (Unfortunately the pictures for the article are wrong...)

Smiths' venner på universitetet

The article also includes a word from Dr Sean Campbell from APU Cambridge, who leads the conference. He says "the interest for this symposium has been overwhelming. It's very unusual for a band to be subject for such a conference, but we think The Smiths truly deserve it. The interest for this symposium also shows this".

– Overveldende interesse
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Well, we'd love a sum up of that symposium by those who went. Come on, share all the daft theories they've come up with.
    Let's have a larf!
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @09:27AM (#157198)
  • Lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame lame. As much as I love the Smiths, I don't see any reason to take some frou frou academic course by some self-satisfied academics. Lame!
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @12:29PM (#157220)
  • "A true story"!Four young lads from Dublin form a rock band that will change the world forever and ultimately reach the goal of the king of england having no choice but to give back Oirland to the Oirish!

"Those god damn english bastards won't play our records on Radio one!"

Starring Bradd Pitt as Morrissey,Mickey Rourke as Johnny Marr.Also starring Al Pacino as John Peel and Jeniffer Anniston as Linder.

Guaranteed to be Massive in the U.s. of A.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @01:22PM (#157224)
    • Jon bj by Meatfreecotter (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @01:29PM
      • Re:Jon bj by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @01:32PM
  • I'm just taking a wild guess here - is he American by any chance?
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @01:36PM (#157231)
  • What? (Score:1, Interesting)

Does this guy not understand that having an outsider's perspective clearly influneced all of those artists? Lydon's book was called No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs if that isn't blatant enough. It's no different from the reason that there are a lot of great artists who are gay, that there are a lot of great artists who are black Americans, that there are great artists sprouting from every marginalized group in any society.
    ed is dead -- Sunday April 10 2005, @11:11PM (#157261)
    (User #8319 Info | http://www.mnartists.org/Ed_Moorman)
    "In my Kosmis there will be no feeva of dischord; all my immotions will function in hominy and kind feelings" - Krazy Ka

[ home | terms of service ]