posted by davidt on Sunday April 10 2005, @09:00AM
Requiescant Inpacce writes:

Morrissey is one of several artists who will appear on a programme called 'Pop And Politics' this Monday night on BBC2. He appears in the first of two programmes that night, which is a look at the political views of his friend Chrissie Hynde.

The programme starts at 23:20, and is on in all regions.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • Yee-ha! He's at large again.
    However my programme says it's on at 11.50, and mainly featuring Steve Earle, with Nancy Griffith etc. Sure Morrissey's on this week too?
    goinghome -- Sunday April 10 2005, @01:29PM (#157228)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • let us hope; i heard the dunce got booed at the pope's funeral. can you imagine that, being booed a funeral of all places?
    thirsty fists <[email protected]> -- Monday April 11 2005, @09:29AM (#157298)
    (User #149 Info)
    "world's ugliest boy"
  • This is from the BBC's website:

Pop and Politics
    Mon 11 Apr, 11:20 pm - 11:50 pm 30mins

BBC FOUR on BBC TWO

Chrissie Hynde

Chrissie Hynde, lead singer with the Pretenders, is the archetypal rock chick: feisty, fearless and outspoken. These days she is using her charismatic celebrity to campaign for animal welfare.

Chrissie herself, Morrissey, Stella McCartney, Professor Colin Blakemore and others talk about how the punk princess became the poster girl for the militant animal rights movement, providing their anthem and being arrested in demonstrations against Gap and KFC. But how far should you go to defend animals?
    Dizzy_Whore -- Monday April 11 2005, @11:49AM (#157335)
    (User #13367 Info)
  • Just watched the programme...excellent content and strong heartfelt views - controversial to say the least! It gives an alternative slant on Chrissie Hynde for those people who know her mainly for her music and a brave and interesting one at that!

Moz spoke eloquantly and passionately, as usual! His support for His friend was magnanimous and His inclusion in the programme was clearly as a champion of His friend and His beloved PETA, rather than for any self-gratification. I'm sure He will collect some criticism along the way for comparing the slaughter of animals to the holocaust - but only from those who don't take the time to listen and consider His words carefully. Why shouldn't animal murder be compared to human murder? After all, it's only humans who put animals below them in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure animals would have a different point of view, if anyone bothered to ask.

PETA are lucky to have two such great ambassadors who can speak so eloquantly and passionately for their cause and hopefully, it will spur on anyone not yet a member to join. Come on folks... part with your money!
    Nic P. -- Monday April 11 2005, @04:17PM (#157382)
    (User #13408 Info)
    And I want the one I can't have... and IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!
  • I was only watching on a small portable and I was knackered but I noticed the camera angle seemed to be pointing upwards to him and his shoes were very prevalent in the shot!
    My point being that Chrissie Hynde was blabbering on about leather and then was he wearing leather shoes? Cos he certainly is on Who Put The M in Manchester.

I am a vegetarian, but I wear leather.
    I am going on the PETA protest against the Pamplona bulls (Running of the Nudes) but am a bit worried (as I've only ever been on protests against hunts) that the more hardened activists will have one look at my Patrick Cox shoes and put me on the BBQ! But seriously how much leeway should one give?
    I'm still not sure of how militant Animal Rights supporters should be. I'm also of Jewish descent and found his comments about the holocaust a bit OTT. But thinking about what he said now..... I still can't equate killing animals to one of the most despicable acts of mass human genocide ever.

But I'm a veggie and on we march to a society made up of people entirely wearing apple peel!!!
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @03:48AM (#157413)
  • you can now download the video for this in the general discussion forum
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @04:49AM (#157417)
  • PETA fanaticism (Score:3, Informative)

The reason Morrissey makes a fool of himself comparing the slaughter of animals to the Holocaust is because he's a fanatic on the issue and has been programmed by a cult called PETA.

You see, PETA has a whole campaign centered around comparing the killing of chickens and whatnot to the murder of millions of Jews. I find it absolutely beetle-brained and offensive, as well as counterproductive to winning over those of us who are sympthetic to protecting animals from cruelty but cannot swallow the wafers whole that PETA hands out in their propagandistic cult of fanaticism.

And of course it's silly how simpletons always compare everything under the sun - even, recently, Terri Schiavo's death - to the Holocaust. It's time people stop usuing the Holocaust in this way. But again, Morrissey is a nut on the issue....
    LoafingOaf <reversethis-{moc ... otstnilfcitnarf}> -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @05:41AM (#157425)
    (User #778 Info)
    Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling.
  • Was anybody else confused by the presenter saying:

'Now: some of us (like me) are vegetarians because we HATE animals, and we do not wish to put them in our MOUTHS.'

That's a bizarre reason not to eat meat!
    Poppycocteau -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @06:21AM (#157444)
    (User #9489 Info)
    We are ugly but we have the music
    • Re:Erm . . by I am human (Score:1) Tuesday April 12 2005, @06:54AM
      • Re:Erm . . by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 12 2005, @04:13PM
    • Re:Erm . . by Anonymous (Score:0) Tuesday April 12 2005, @04:57PM
      • Re:Erm . . by Poppycocteau (Score:1) Wednesday April 13 2005, @04:00AM
        • Re:Erm . . by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 18 2005, @06:24PM
  • see it here (Score:1, Informative)

http://s27.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2JGLSQ28G7KBX3VTFXFVO35GHI

only 25 people can download this so be quick

it's moz's bits on the documentary
    Anonymous -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @06:58AM (#157449)
  • hmm... (Score:2, Interesting)

I do agree with what Morrissey is saying with the imagery of the animals in a lorry on the way to slaughter, and an abbattoir being reminiscent of the Holocaust, but come on, it is disrespectful- he's just trying to be emotive, but it doesn't fit. Animals are not on the same level of importance as humans, this is quite clear (and yes, i do believe that animals have emotions, etc). It is our duty as the superior race to look after animals.

Besides, animals are not killed because of prejudice, unlike the Jews or any other group of people killed by Hitler/Stalin. They are not killed in order to wipe out their race. Don't get me wrong- I myself am a vegetarian, considering going vegan (having found some good reasons for this on vegansociety.com FAQ). The reason I support vegetarianism is not just because of the suffering that animals experience during life, but because I do not agree with animals being killed at all.

Also, much as I love Morrissey, and the sentiment behind 'meat is murder', meat is technically not murder- murder is the unlawful killing of a human being. So meat is actually 'killing that is wrong'. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though, does it?
    Wilde is on my side -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @08:05AM (#157457)
    (User #13955 Info)
    I am the meek, I am the righteous, I am the Morrissey fan.
    • Re:hmm... by I am human (Score:1) Tuesday April 12 2005, @08:14AM
    • Re:hmm... by Hello Indie (Score:1) Tuesday April 12 2005, @08:19AM
    • btw by Wilde is on my side (Score:1) Tuesday April 12 2005, @01:26PM
  • I hadn’t seen this ‘Pop and Politics’ before, and as I said, the 11.20 slot was listed differently, as ‘she said, he said’. I thought OK, they’ve altered the title, and it could make sense if Morrissey was commenting on Chrissie. It started off with how men see women and vice versa, followed by a round-up of sexual development with celeb anecdotes of adolescent experiences. As I waited vainly for the radical jump to the more mature serious territory that Morrissey & co might fittingly grace, I flicked through the newspaper and found that in Ireland, the Chrissie Hinde feature isn’t on till tonight, at 12.20 on BBC2. So much for no regional variations!
    goinghome -- Tuesday April 12 2005, @01:43PM (#157539)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • what about the poor vegetable? you think because a tree or a plant cannot scream or attempt to run away that it does not feel pain?
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 14 2005, @04:56PM (#157947)

[ home | terms of service ]