posted by davidt on Sunday April 10 2005, @09:00AM
Johan de Witt writes:

Earls Court only reached a disappointing number 18 in the UK album charts today. To compare: Beethoven was Deaf reached number 13 in 1993.

Redondo Beach is down from 11-27 in the singles charts.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • At the end of the day im not a great fan of the recorded album (even though i havent stopped listening to it since its release). It seems to be void of any atmosphere. I was there at earls court and although Mozzers performance was great. I felt the whole thing was a bit of a ego boost for the main man him self. I.e "Look you ignored me for those years and now ive sold out earls court". Well I think there was a certain amount of that thought in the release of the album. Its glossed and polished and the production has removed any thing remotely resembling the imperfect perfection of the Morrissy live experience. All the things that made the gig so memeroble like the little swipes at The Smiths ("I used to be asosiated with three misrable people") or self referencing ("Why do you come here"). Also the album is not even made up entirely of songs performed at earls court, Bit of a con!
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @10:10AM (#157203)
  • ..... debuted at number 39 in the DVD chart, and number 2 in the Music DVD charts.
    deathfornoreason -- Sunday April 10 2005, @10:59AM (#157210)
    (User #11135 Info)
    You don't agree, but you don't refuse - I know you
    • Re:Who Put The M In Manchester..... by Keely (Score:1) Sunday April 10 2005, @11:03AM
      • Re:Who Put The M In Manchester..... by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @11:21AM
        • I don't understand the Morrissey-haters, or why they bother coming on here especially, surely they could be spending their time doing something more productive, like watching Trisha or downloading those horribly annoying ringtones off the telly.

If people accuse Morrissey of cashing in on this one then they're clearly stupid. The fact that he sold the rights to both satellite AND terrestrial television channels so that everyone had the chance to see it for free just proves that he hasn't sold out at all. I bought it because i wanted to own it on DVD, & you don't really realise how wonderful the 'pause/still' button on your remote control is 'till you stick a morrissey DVD in :D
          Keely -- Sunday April 10 2005, @02:34PM (#157238)
          (User #13344 Info)
    • Re:Who Put The M In Manchester..... by goinghome (Score:1) Sunday April 10 2005, @01:32PM
  • With absolutely minimal promotion, these ratings arent' at all bad. Bet the CD at least will hang on there a while.
    goinghome -- Sunday April 10 2005, @02:06PM (#157237)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • I'm sure this is the reason it didn't go top 10. Most UK Moz fans who own DVDs would surely opt for the DVD over the CD coz you get the visuals too. Agree?
    John
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @02:55PM (#157240)
  • All the Lazy Dykes (Score:2, Interesting)

I've posted this before, but I really wish that Morrissey could have included this song in the set list.

Let me explain. At first, I did not care for the song at all (lyrically or musicall).

Then I saw Morrissey perform the song *live* twice! I was very moved by his performance. He brought new life and meaning into this song that many people laugh off as a bad b-side.

He had so much energy performing this song, and- at the end of the song- he almost fell over because of all the raw emotion he had put into the vocals of this song.

Anybody else agree?

Always,
    Ken
    sycophantic_slag -- Sunday April 10 2005, @05:32PM (#157248)
    (User #3940 Info)
    "And I just can't explain/ So I won't even try to."
  • Does anyone else out there think that this recording has been touched up considerably in post production....I've never heard morrissey's pitch sound great....I'm certain they pulled a kiss alive
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @11:44PM (#157264)
    • Re:hmm by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 11 2005, @05:04AM
      • Re:hmm by Notallan (Score:1) Monday April 11 2005, @08:42AM
        • Re:hmm by Anonymous (Score:0) Monday April 11 2005, @09:41AM
          • Re:hmm by Notallan (Score:1) Monday April 11 2005, @12:59PM
  • Is it really so strange ? Do we really care about charts
    swedish blond -- Monday April 11 2005, @07:18AM (#157286)
    (User #10763 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]