posted by davidt on Friday April 08 2005, @09:00AM
Dan writes:

Live At Earls Court debuted #118 on the US Soundscan chart, selling 9,015 copies in its first week.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • ... the preorder numbers??
    blister92 -- Friday April 08 2005, @09:31AM (#156982)
    (User #380 Info)
    "Evil People Prosper Over the Likes of You and Me Always"
  • 6000 copies sold so far in the UK.
    Looks like it is going to be his worst selling album ever. Oh well.
    Johan de Witt <[email protected]> -- Friday April 08 2005, @09:37AM (#156984)
    (User #4231 Info)
  • His voice has never sounded better. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the reviewer that his backup band is simply adequate. Boz and company come off. at best, as merely performing session musicians. Where is the heart? Where is the rockin'?
    I think Deano and Gary are the strongest live on this album, but that's not saying much. If you listen to Still Ill played live on "Rank" and compare it to any of the songs on this album, I think you will wholeheartedly agree.
    His voice has never sounded better, though.
    Mannix
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @09:41AM (#156986)
  • his voice is sooooo bad on this album anyone can hear that...

coupled with the low mix on the bad and what you have is blind self indulgement on Morrisseys part

maybe he is becoming just a little too smug these days...
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @09:53AM (#156987)
  • its not so much that the backing band is inadequate, its the mix. why somebody made the decesion not to take the desk tapes and play around with the individual channels to give an overall more listenable album (like they did with beethoven is deaf) is beyond me. the resulting album just sounds like a bootleg with the interesting moz talkie bits cut out.

having said that - the louder you listen to it the better it sounds.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @09:59AM (#156990)
    • Re:live by gmonkey (Score:1) Friday April 08 2005, @04:59PM
  • This Review... (Score:1, Interesting)

The band are just lost! Morrissey should have handpicked some better people. But, he usually leaves this up to Boz. He is the musical director and gets paid the most. It was depressing to see these other guys at the show. Heck, I can't stand Gary Day either. He is such a pompus pie hole. Boz is the best and all the others need to get the boot! I want the Lads back (minus GD)! These American twats are hurting Morrissey's live performance and image. I love "Redondo Beach" but that 'shopping mall reggae' comment was dead on. Why is it that when a new song comes out everyone is more interested in the cover versions than the other b-sides. Remember when the b-side paled in comparisson? "Moon River","East West" and so on.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @10:05AM (#156991)
  • One U2 gig left me completely broke. So I wont be able to buy the album in about a month.

I don't care about the negative reviews in this board I'm still going to get it.
    tenderliz -- Friday April 08 2005, @10:51AM (#156996)
    (User #11301 Info)
  • But I feel ripped off. I have bootlegs that have more energy ... The album is sub-par ...
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @11:11AM (#157001)
  • what is the difference between the digipack and the original live at earls court? - apart from the price that is, i can't work it out...
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @11:16AM (#157003)
  • Over at mod lang records (http://www.modlang.com/) in Berkeley, at least he is showing up in the sales charts.

Mod Lang Sales Chart for week ending 04/03/05:

Top Ten LPs/Albums
    1.Beck - Guero - geffen
    2.The Bravery - s/t -island
    3.Bloc Party - Silent Alarm - vice
    4.Morrissey - Live At Earl's Court - attack
    5.M.I.A - Arular - beggars banquet
    6.Lcd Soundsystem - s/t - capitol
    7.Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze - interscope 8.Decemberists - Picaresque - kill rock stars 9.Yo La Tengo - Prisoners Of Love - matador 10.M.Ward - Transister Radio - merge

Top Five EPs/Singles
    1. Death Cab For Cutie - John Byrd e.p - barsuk
    2. Morrissey - There is a light - attack
    3. New Order - Krafty - london
    4. Queens Of The Stone Age - little sister - interscope
    5. DJ Shadow Vs Keane - might as well be strange - interscope
    Suswa -- Friday April 08 2005, @12:44PM (#157013)
    (User #6274 Info | http://www.facebook.com/SUSMOZ)
  • Finally my cd arrived and it's fine. Being quite a fan now, I already have all the songs on it except Redondo Beach which I think is a wonderful version. I'm pretty sure though that when the DVD finally arrives, I'll feel that this was just the warm up. What seems to be happening is that the music press is giving the CD a generally warm reception but not the long-term fans. The CD is a comprehensive genuinely representative round-up of great songs from both Morrissey's solo career and years with the Smiths. If we remember that last year was a 'comeback' year for him whereby he regained lapsed fans and made new ones, then this CD is perfect for them. The loyal fans however like the quirkiness of banter, encounters, locations, improvisations etc, and this is why I can't wait for the DVD. So there's something for everyone!
    goinghome -- Friday April 08 2005, @01:05PM (#157023)
    (User #12673 Info)
    • Re:New album by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 08 2005, @02:06PM
    • Re:New album by Meatfreecotter (Score:1) Saturday April 09 2005, @09:14AM
      • Re:New album by goinghome (Score:1) Saturday April 09 2005, @11:40AM
        • Re:New album by Meatfreecotter (Score:0) Saturday April 09 2005, @01:08PM
          • Re:New album by goinghome (Score:1) Sunday April 10 2005, @08:04AM
            • Re:New album by Meatfreecotter (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @10:30AM
              • Re:New album by goinghome (Score:1) Sunday April 10 2005, @01:54PM
  • got the earls court cd, after reading these pages, did'nt know what to expect, but as live albums go this is pretty damn good, fans buy bootlegs to which no money goes to the artist, so hence live lp's, nothing new, but for the fans, an official reminder of 2004, mozz live, to which most of us must of seen him. As time goes on this will be looked back on as an essential mozz release, thanks mozz, the cd & dvd round of a great return.
    wrightytheman -- Friday April 08 2005, @02:22PM (#157033)
    (User #7063 Info)
  • I think the album is great actually. I never really liked Rank, to which this is being compared to for some reason.

I like Earl's Court better than Quarry. People are bitching about the mix, but I think it sounds better than Quarry's mix which I think it too rawk......

I guess to each his/her own.

Having said that, these sales figures are pretty pathetic. I am glad it got released though, and I have listened to the hell out of it, like I do with ost of Morrissey stuff.

As an aside, I just got the new Beck album which is awesome. I also got the new British Sea Power which is more accessible thant the first BSP album. It has been given some comparisons to the Smiths, which I do not hear, but some reviewer heard it in there apparently....
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @02:39PM (#157036)
  • well... (Score:2, Insightful)

i think it's a damn good album! maybe not the best he's ever put out, but still, it doesn't derserve all the negativity it's been receiving here. Moz's singing is sublime throughout the whole album, and i think the band play the songs a lot better than everyone is making out. after reading the comments on the site, and listening to the preview things, i was expecting the album to be really quite terrible, but this was not the case! people have said that the band lack energy- bull. you listen to 'shoplifters...' and turn it up loud. you are not listening to a drab, dreary old band. admittedly, the mix isn't up to scratch, but to write the album off because of that, is, in my opinion, over the top. and as for those who slate the band for being 'unimaginative', (you know who you are!) i'm sure you'd be the first to complain if they started trying to put their own stamp on a Smiths song. the lads are still great, and Moz is on fine form. the great mans comments are sorely missed, but Live At Earl's Court is a cracking album, and you'd be foolish to miss out on it.
    moderndayphilistine -- Friday April 08 2005, @02:49PM (#157038)
    (User #13204 Info)
    • Re:well... by borntohang1968 (Score:1) Saturday April 09 2005, @03:16AM
      • Re:well... by Nic P. (Score:1) Sunday April 10 2005, @02:13AM
        • Re:well... by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @02:51AM
          • Re:well... by Nic P. (Score:1) Sunday April 10 2005, @08:43AM
            • Re:well... by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @10:50AM
              • Re:well... by Nic P. (Score:1) Sunday April 10 2005, @12:25PM
    • Re:well... by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 09 2005, @05:57AM
  • sounds like poop
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @03:06PM (#157042)
    • Re:poopie by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 08 2005, @03:59PM
    • Re:poopie by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 08 2005, @08:51PM
      • Re:poopie by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 09 2005, @10:41AM
        • Re:poopie by Anonymous (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @02:09AM
          • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    • Re:poopie by Rico (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @12:46PM
  • The set list should have included "All the Lazy Dykes." I never cared for the song musically or lyrically- that is, until I heard the song performed live!

This song is a heart-stopper performed live. I am not sure why. Morrissey puts an incredible amount of energy into this song when performed live. I thought at one point he was going to fall down on his knees during the song- it was that intense (the ending of the song). You really need to see him sing it live.

Sincerely,
    Ken Stavitzke
    sycophantic_slag -- Friday April 08 2005, @04:18PM (#157049)
    (User #3940 Info)
    "And I just can't explain/ So I won't even try to."
  • thud heard absolutley nowhere. oh well.
    Anonymous -- Saturday April 09 2005, @03:12AM (#157073)
  • mostly rubbish, not because of the setlist, not because of the band but because of the man responsible for mixing the record, who in my opinion should just be imprisoned for the next ten years at least cos the mix is absolute rubbish: no ambience, no guitars, only morrissey´s voice, crap crap crap. "beethoven was deaf" sounded much better, in fact, there are many bootlegs from the last tour that sound a lot better than this, take the Chile fm broadcast in example, it sounds fantastic (and the band is the same), like a million times better than this official recording, what a shame!.
    gonzax -- Saturday April 09 2005, @05:48AM (#157089)
    (User #10749 Info)
  • This is a superb album. If you don't like it I can only suggest that you revisit the Bon Jovi albums that you so sincerely loved.
    Rico -- Saturday April 09 2005, @10:27AM (#157119)
    (User #3487 Info | http://profiles.myspace.com/users/5347553)
    Karma equals minus infinity, but I stand up for the truth
  • I love this album.
    Spineless Swine <[email protected]> -- Saturday April 09 2005, @12:09PM (#157134)
    (User #4968 Info)
    Leave your future behind you.
  • listen loud on ipod while drunk and alone, wave arms, move around and pretend to be vocalist... and enjoy. moaning minnies.
    featherweight -- Saturday April 09 2005, @06:56PM (#157150)
    (User #6542 Info)
  • I was about 100 chart positions off on this one. I thought it would at least get in the top 20. How did the DVD do? The British album charts?
    texasbloke -- Saturday April 09 2005, @07:53PM (#157154)
    (User #8721 Info)
  • RB is down from 11 to 27.
    Johan de Witt <[email protected]> -- Sunday April 10 2005, @07:09AM (#157187)
    (User #4231 Info)
  • With a new release, isn't it normally the case that the artist promotes the wears around the same time, to ideally lend a boost to publicity and sales? I know that Morrissey dislikes 'hot fuss' at such junctures more than most, but have there been any interviews, TV appearances etc at all for the singles, CD and DVD? Considering that lack, and the allergy to airplay, they're doing ok. Incidentally what country is he in these days, and has anyone spotted him out and about, to give us an extra smile?!
    goinghome -- Sunday April 10 2005, @08:18AM (#157189)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • ....... or bring back Johnny Marr.

It's gotta be one or the other if Moz is to be great again.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @10:08AM (#157202)
  • Some of us like hearing the b-sides. It makes it more special. I bet if you did an audit the singles get played the most overall anyway.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @12:54PM (#157019)
    • Re:the problems by Meatfreecotter (Score:0) Saturday April 09 2005, @08:56AM
  • b-sides are the fan favourites you tosspot. More smiths songs? yeah it would be nice if he did a whole new live show with smiths songs but this one has 5. I would consider myself lucky now to see a show of his these days with 5 fucking smiths songs.

whingers are so hard to please!
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @08:26PM (#157064)
  • I am sorry but I enjoy hearing the b-sides. Actually, I am pretty happy hearing him.
    mozlike -- Friday April 08 2005, @10:33PM (#157070)
    (User #11690 Info)
    I am MINE!

[ home | terms of service ]