posted by davidt on Friday April 08 2005, @09:00AM
Maurice E writes:

Simon Goddard (author of The Songs that Saved Your Life) gives a pretty scathing review of the live album in the new Uncut.

Rather strangely, he starts the piece by saying that he was at the concert and it was one of the best performances Morrissey had ever given. Quarry is described as a reasonable album but not deserving of the critical plaudits it received (paraphrased).

His main complaints seem to be the unimaginative album title and the poor musicianship (likened to a karaoke backing track). He also lays into the cover of Redondo Beach (shopping mall reggae!).

Any Morrissey input to further revised versions of 'Songs that saved' must be looking increasingly unlikely!

---
An anonymous person also writes:

Simon Goddard has written a very negative review of 'Live At Earl's Court' in this month's Uncut magazine. He does, however, make some very pertinent points which I agree with about Morrissey cruising on autopilot and the shortcomings of his uninspired band.

Transcript as follows:

BIGHEAD STRIKES AGAIN

Great gig, shame about the album

Morrissey, Live At Earls Court **

"After eight culturally obsolete years in self imposed exile in LA, 2004 witnessed Morrissey's all-conquering return to his homeland's cheerless marshes. There was the critically lauded (if essentially average) You Are The Quarry LP; four consecutive UK Top 10 hits; ubiquitous media saturation (including a rekindled love affair with the NME after a decade of mutual antagonism); his own Meltdown festival. And, to cap it all, a sell-out Christmas show at London'd Earls Court where, in spite of the venue's sterile acoustics, he gave one of the best performances of his career-a fact to which this writer (Block 16, Row D) can happily testify.

Four months on, here's the official souvenir. It's title? Live At Earl's Court - which from a pop provocateur of Morrissey's sloganeering genius ("Meat Is Murder", "Cook Bernard Matthews", even Quarry's "America Is Not The World") seems unforgivable. Mercifully, the record itself isn't quite the insipid cash-in its pedestrian name suggests, though as an audio document divorced from any dramatic spectacle it lacks the electric ambience of both his previous live offerings (1988's posthumous Smiths snapshot Rank, 1993's ragged glamathon Beethoven Was Deaf). For this, we can blame his timidly obedient backing band; a tight-knit troupe, but one slavishly dedicated to providing a purely perfunctory karaoke tape for their master's voice at the expense of any spontaneous magic. Still, what a voice. From opening cue to final bow, Morrissey's larynx has rarely sounded this Biblical in strength and stature. Even on the torrid, shopping-mall reggae attempt at Patti Smith's 'Redondo Beach', or a routine B-side like 'Friday Mourning' (a hackneyed regurgitation of the genital self-disgust begun in The Smiths' 'Miserable Lie' and Viva Hate's 'Late Night, Maudlin Street'), his trembling timbre never surrenders.

All of which only serves to compound Quarry's frustrating aftertaste. That in his mature, vocal prime, the most original pop singer of the past 25 years is merely cruising on autopilot when he could be breaking the sound barrier: if only, that is, he were given more challenging material, and musicians. As if to labour this very point, an impressively heartfelt finale of The Smiths' 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me' becomes a poignant reminder of a time when Morrissey had both. It ends with him theatrically beseeching his audience, "Don't forget me!". Impossible as that may seem, amid the embarrassment of riches Morrissey's provided over the past 22 years, Live At Earls Court is at best superfluous, at worst that very thing he dreads most. Forgettable."

I have to say I agree with Goddard's comments about Quarry - it is average - and about the strength and beauty of Morrissey's vocals and about the utter shame that is the autopiloted nature of his current work. I especially agree with SG's comments about the band - as he says, Morrissey could be breaking the sound barrier but instead he works with musicians who will never challenge him, who are reliable but uninspired, and who bring his work down these days to the level of mediocre. New collaborators needed!
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • with everything that you and Goddard said.But I heard an interview with Goddard just before the release of Quarry in which He talked of it as an absolute masterpiece (It isn't) now he seems to be very indifferent about it.Oh well.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @09:10AM (#156976)
    • Re:Agreed by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 08 2005, @09:17AM
    • Re:Agreed by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 08 2005, @09:30AM
      • Re:Agreed by Anonymous (Score:0) Friday April 08 2005, @09:36AM
        • Re:Agreed by Anonymous (Score:1) Friday April 08 2005, @09:39AM
        • Re:Agreed by candydarling (Score:1) Saturday April 09 2005, @08:12PM
  • is he the guy behind all the Pop (American) Idol rubbish?
    someraincoatedlovers -- Friday April 08 2005, @10:12AM (#156993)
    (User #10290 Info)
  • This person is out in the cold. Rejected and ignored.
    He is trying to provoke, but it will not work.
    He is nobody.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @10:24AM (#156994)
  • and then say that the album sucks. Some of these people have to make up their minds. Ither you liked Morrissey's live shows or not.

The Album is just a recording of one of his live shows anyway.
    tenderliz -- Friday April 08 2005, @10:59AM (#156998)
    (User #11301 Info)
  • Get a new band! If you still feel the fire inside -- please get some equally inspired musicians ... and create some real beauty.

Remember the days, when each new album brought something new and fresh? Now, it's a lot of the same recycled sound.

This band, format and sound made sense in 1991 -- it doesn't in 2005. Please start fresh with new blood, and inspire us all over again.

Respectfully Your Fan to the End,

Suedehead
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @11:04AM (#156999)
  • a new producer. Quarry was a great album, but his band needs a musical vision and some sort of inspiration. He needs a Marr, a Squire or a Hendrix - someone who can see something special and create it, not just a bunch of workaday rockabilly musos. He deserves better.

Broken
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @11:10AM (#157000)
  • What I find very striking is the bad quality of the pictures inside. The cover picture is marvelous, but the pictures inside are out of focus. They also did not even attempt to remove the red eyes. It seems to me Morrissey wanted to show his affection to Jed by giving him the honors to include his pictures in the booklet.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @12:14PM (#157009)
  • I wonder if this Simon Goddard is a real person. His voice sounded strangely metalic reviewing "You are the Quarry". I think he may be a computer operated by Johnny Marr.

I am carrying out a numeric analysis of his book to see if it has any clues....
    Kenan -- Friday April 08 2005, @01:29PM (#157026)
    (User #13621 Info)
  • The comments about the band are somewhat bizarre. This is undoubtedly their best sound thus far. With the inclusion of a keyboard player, the songs are much more lush.

The Smiths songs, in comparison to the manner in which Marr played them live, sound far better. Since Marr incorporated so many overdubs in the studio versions, it was always difficult for him to fill the sound out live. This can be heard in songs like "Headmaster Ritual," which never reallyu worked live in "The Smiths" days.

However, imo, "Bigmouth," "Shoplifters," "How Soon is Now?" and "There is A Light" are much better quality, live, with Moz and company, than they with "The Smiths." Many of the other songs had never been played live before, so it's really futile to compare them. marr could have performed them better or worse. We simply don't know. Personally, I think that songs like "Rubber Ring," "Last Night I Dreamt," and "A Rush and A Push," came out wonderfully.

I noticed how much better "Now My heart Is Full," Everyday Is Like Sunday," and "The More You Ignore Me" sounded this time around, than in the past.

As for "Redondo Beach," I think some people don't get the cheesy qurikiness of the sound that, in all likelihood, was somehting desired by Morrissey to indulge his more fey, pop sensibilities. It's certainly a wonderful song.

People forget how hollow, and sloppy "The Smiths sounded during their late, stadium era. The songs simply could not hold up live, with a second, infrequent guitarist, and Johnny's inability to recreate his studio vision live. Instead we got very loud, clean sounds that more often than not just played the main riff. I didn't find that very "inspiring."

I'm glad some of these songs are being played live with a keyboard player and two competent guitarists. I don't know what else people expect. It seems like your typical blind, "If it's not Johnny Marr, then it's not even worth considering" attitude.

It being internet Morrissey fans, there always has to be this inherent criticism, and dissastifaction with most any product. People will go out of their way to defend incredibly poor products like "Maladjusted," and "Southopaw," but God forbid the band attempts to cover a "Smiths" song.

This was an amazing live album, as well the DVD.

I think Morrissey has a greater involvement in what kind of sound the band creates than many people assume.
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @02:17PM (#157032)
  • He's upset that Mark Simpson, the better writer, gets asked all the media questions. As someone else said here, if he hates the band that much how come it was a "great gig"?
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @04:11PM (#157048)
    • Re:Sour by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 09 2005, @06:26AM
      • Re:Sour by Anonymous (Score:0) Saturday April 09 2005, @03:49PM
  • £4.99 at the mo. Not a bad deal.
    Anonymous -- Saturday April 09 2005, @12:26PM (#157136)
    • Re:Shoplifters by Meatfreecotter (Score:0) Sunday April 10 2005, @04:04AM
  • I love everything about the album.
    Davey Boy -- Saturday April 09 2005, @12:47PM (#157137)
    (User #508 Info)
  • That's all I have to say.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @05:16AM (#157185)
  • people are quick to jump on the bandwagon with one crap review. Especially a review which is ridiculous in it's contradictions. He says the concert was brilliant then blames the band for not liking the album. Surely he should be blaming the producer/mixer if the concert was so good?

Have none of you minds of your own? Or just Johnny Marr fans.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 10 2005, @05:25AM (#157186)
  • The end of this article contains the obvious flaimbait:

I have to say I agree with Goddard's comments about Quarry - it is average...

Britney Spears is average. Flippant dismissal of brilliant lyricism and powerful vocals is just sad. And arrogant.

Maybe you meant the album cover is average. Yes, it's a stupid cover when you consider the brilliance of, say, Glass of Milk or The Queen is Dead.
    terris -- Sunday April 10 2005, @08:36AM (#157190)
    (User #13906 Info)

[ home | terms of service ]