posted by davidt on Wednesday April 06 2005, @10:00AM
An anonymous person writes:

Ian Harrison gives 'Live At Earls Court' a short but very positive review in this month's MOJO magazine. Transcript as follows:

MORRISSEY, LIVE AT EARL's COURT ****

The comeback king's last UK show of 2004

"I'm smiling because I'm in Earl's Court" winked Morrissey from the stage as this CD was being taped on December 18. "What can it mean?" He asked the same nudge-nudge question on 1990's rent-boy toe tapper Piccadilly Palare. Sadly, this and other witticisms are expunged from the final, crisp-sounding recording. It's still hugely persuasive, though, with Mozzer in excellent voice on five Smiths songs (an unarguable How Soon Is Now? opens the show) and superior selections from You Are The Quarry. All through he makes wondrous entertainment out of, as he sings in a slice of New York Dolls' Subway Train, a life that's been "cursed, poisoned and condemned". You almost believe him when he bids an emotional adieu on Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me.
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • ... but has anyone had problems with the "Who Put The M In Manchester" DVD? When the first interview at the end appears, the picture becomes pixelated and the sound starts juddering. I've had to exchange it twice now.
    deathfornoreason -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @10:11AM (#156760)
    (User #11135 Info)
    You don't agree, but you don't refuse - I know you
  • In the same issue there's a short piece by Morrissey, reflecting on his early teenage fandom of Marc Bolan. An interesting quote:

"My first ever concert was seeing T. Rex at Belle Vue [June 16, 1972]. It was messianic and complete chaos. Belle Vue was in a quite tough area of Manchester and my father dropped me off outside wearing a purple satin jacket. I think he thought I'd be killed and he waved me off like it was the last time he'd ever see me alive. It must've been like losing your child to a deadly cult-and maybe that's exactly how it was...I had gone by myself and stood by myself throughout, and of course, it was the turning of at least eight corners."
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @12:18PM (#156791)
  • Maybe I missed this story if it came through, but Amazon's review was equally composed of witty praise for the live compilation:

"Claiming that "It's either this or prison" but nevertheless capping his most successful solo year thus far, Morrissey performed to 17,183 of his faithful fans at London's Earls Court in December 2004 in a manner (Morrissey's name in big red lightbulbs) intended to invoke Elvis' 1968 comeback special. Thankfully, as Live At Earls Court testifies, Morrissey's life purpose is better served by rock than the jailhouse. Eremitic melancholia, mordant badinage and rancorous avengement. Nobody does it better. In fact, nobody other than Morrissey does it at all. Whether bemoaning surplus hormones on the breathtakingly immodest "I Have Forgiven Jesus" or wishing--rather self-servingly--that he'd been fashionably martyred in the Bavarian snow along with the Busby Babes, Morrissey never fails to raise an eyebrow. He may have spent his formative years with "three incredibly miserable people" but The Smiths' music endures, herein with slight concessions to modernity; Joan Of Arc now owns a melting iPod on "Bigmouth Strikes Again". Many of the titles are taken from the platinum-selling You Are The Quarry. Even the b-sides are grand. "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" sounds like The Pixies gone transsexual. Yes, the world is full of crashing bores but please strike Morrissey's name off the list. Again." --Kevin Maidment
    goinghome -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @12:37PM (#156794)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • I am attached to the CD by the heartstrings, but why did they expunge the charming witticisms? They are part of the charm of live recordings!
    Poppycocteau -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @04:39PM (#156823)
    (User #9489 Info)
    We are ugly but we have the music
  • Having had a little time to get into now, I do enjoy it as it was such an amazing night and brings back great memories. But with the quips dispensed of (and he was on such good form that night)it does lack some of the excitement which I felt. Some of the comments and half sentences sound out of context and quite dull, such as "it's either this or prison" or "Time will prove everything". To anyone who was'nt there it will sound like we were all lying about how good it was and not the great end to a fantastic year that left me buzzing for days.
    As a consequence, have had to order a bootleg DVD from ebay to fill the void.
    loafing oaf 1954 -- Thursday April 07 2005, @04:13AM (#156874)
    (User #13361 Info)
  • Just thought that I might mention that Sanity music has a release date of April 25 for the DVD & CD here in Australia
    Anonymous -- Thursday April 07 2005, @09:34PM (#156945)
  • What is the difference between the live at earls court digipack and the other one - apart from the price? i can't work it out...
    Anonymous -- Friday April 08 2005, @08:10AM (#156971)

[ home | terms of service ]