posted by davidt on Wednesday April 06 2005, @10:00AM
ZackW writes:

There is a rather poor cover of "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" that I ran across while on the iTunes music store by ska band Reel Big Fish. If you knew they were still together, you are a music expert.
---
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • I listened to the iTunes preview and that's all you need to hear. It's like hearing The Bravery (now), but with their ska sound (then).
    Suswa -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @10:49AM (#156769)
    (User #6274 Info | http://www.facebook.com/SUSMOZ)
  • Its Shit.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @11:23AM (#156776)
  • What is it about the song "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" that invites these sorts of butcheries? I mean, last year we had a Eurodance version of it from Universal Poplab. Now a horrid third-generation ska one? Maybe next year we'll have someone covering it with banjos and kazoos.
    Diasco -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @11:28AM (#156778)
    (User #9532 Info)
    I will take you from this sickness, dinner parties and champagne. I'll hold your body and make it sing again.
  • this band is fucking awful. don't bother listening to it.

nobody can sing morrissey's songs but himself. and i'm fine with this, really.
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @03:16PM (#156815)
  • I'd like to voice my approval of the cover. It's not bad, it's a lot of fun and it is a genuine tribute, not just a pisstake. I actually like Reel Big Fish and love punk/ska punk, and a lot of punk bands and artists have recently been voicing their love of Morrissey (i.e. Goldfinger guy from the article above, the punk covers compilation of Smiths songs) which although it has been reported as some kind of minor phenomenon described with loads of 'actually's and exclamations all over the place is not at all surprising, considering Moz's own punk roots. I appreciate that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but please don't just call it shit and wave it off - his songs aren't sacrosanct and after all have influenced more than just a handful of British New Wave bands or whoever the NME likes most at any one time. I love that Reel Big Fish have done the cover, although I can see why some might not like the cover itself, and if anyone has the time to type "it's rubbish" at least take a few more seconds to back it up.

Ok, target is on my forehead, I'm out in the open. Do your worst :-)
    charming lass -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @03:28PM (#156818)
    (User #11741 Info)
    this is the last song i will ever sing, oh no i've changed my mind again
  • ...holding up pics of skinhead girls and a song entitled 'suedehead'. A suedehead is a skinhead who grew out his hair to disassociate himself from the nazification of skinheads in the late 1970's mainly by the National Front. Read "the spirit of '69" an excellent history of skinheads and rudeboys, the ska movement and oi.

ILOVEKC (well im not loving KC too much anymore)
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @09:46PM (#156844)

[ home | terms of service ]