posted by davidt on Sunday April 03 2005, @12:30PM
deathfornoreason writes:

On last Saturday's "50 Terrible Predictions" on Sky One, Morrissey came in at number 23 with his claim that pop videos were just a fad and would disappear. The segment was interspersed with clips from various Smiths/Morrissey videos, such as "Ask", "I Have Forgiven Jesus" and a live version of "Hand In Glove"
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • live version of "Hand In Glove"?? wich one?
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @01:21PM (#156499)
  • . . . who's laughing now?
    Poppycocteau -- Sunday April 03 2005, @01:24PM (#156501)
    (User #9489 Info)
    We are ugly but we have the music
  • The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon" Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1873

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." Charles H. Duell, Director of US Patent Office, 1899

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." Ken Olson, president of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom." Robert Miliham, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1923

"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible." Lord Kelvin, President, Royal Society, 1895

"Video won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." Daryl F. Zanuck, 20th Century Fox, commenting on television in 1946

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"Such startling announcements as these should be deprecated as being unworthy of science and mischievous to its true progress." Sir William Siemens, electrical engineer, upon hearing Edison's announcement of a successful light bulb.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction."
    Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology, 1872
    goinghome -- Sunday April 03 2005, @02:17PM (#156509)
    (User #12673 Info)
  • As Alexei Sayle said "They laughed at Arthur Askey; and history has proved them wrong."
    Ben G -- Sunday April 03 2005, @02:46PM (#156515)
    (User #9622 Info)
    • Re:Predictions by Meatfreecotter (Score:0) Sunday April 03 2005, @02:54PM
  • Although they haven't totally disappeared, music videos have been much less prevalent than they once were. Supposed video "music" stations these days rarely screen videos anymore, nor do they seem to play any actual music! All I see on my "music" channels are awful American "reality" shows. Morrissey may have been right!!

Hank the DJ
    Edmonton, Canada
    [email protected]
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @03:26PM (#156526)
  • anyone actually saw an abundance of pop music videos on tv? They pretty much are non-existent on MTV with all of the reality rubbish and game show idiocy they fill in between the Hip Hop videos. I'd say he was more than close to being correct on this one.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @06:18PM (#156538)
  • Morrissey also said that Pop music is just a phaise.

It will all END someday...

...proberbly with a 'best of'
    astol -- Monday April 04 2005, @11:08AM (#156614)
    (User #7611 Info)
    there's more to life than books you know but not much more
  • Goes to show you how stupid Viacom is...

His comment proved 100% true.
    dewdrop -- Monday April 04 2005, @11:26AM (#156620)
    (User #2326 Info)
  • Morrissey claimed video's were 'vile' very early on in his career, and with all the good will in the world we can only assume he has spent the last twenty years trying to prove that theory right.
  • hey, did any of those who predicted that Morrissey would never come back after 'Maladjusted' make the list- they shouldve.
    chrisarclark <[email protected]> -- Tuesday April 05 2005, @08:52AM (#156692)
    (User #9259 Info)
    "I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
  • you can download the clip (around 2 minutes) in the general discussion forum
    Anonymous -- Wednesday April 06 2005, @09:06AM (#156756)

[ home | terms of service ]