posted by davidt on Sunday April 03 2005, @12:30PM
Torr sends the link:

MEAT IS MURDER! - Playlouder
Macca and Moz buy up farms to save animals
01 Apr 2005

Famous singing vegetarians Paul McCartney and Morrissey have announced that they're to team up and try to save at least some of the UK's farm animals from the butchers knife.

Not for them spending their hard-earned millions on extra houses owned by Clark Gable, instead the pair have launched an informal project to rescue sheep, cattle, pigs and poultry from the plate.

They intend to do this by buying up farms - it's thought that the project will initially focus on England and Wales, but could go worldwide if it proves a success. The pair will continue to run the farms on a free-range basis, with organic practices employed where possible, the only difference being that the animals will die of natural causes, rather than being blasted by a bolt from the blue.

However, while the move has been welcomed by animal rights organisations such as PETA, some farmers groups have reacted angrily, saying that the pop pair were exploiting the depressed agricultural industry. "It's hard enough to make a living from farming these days, and I've seen several of my neighbouring farmers even attempt suicide," said one south Wales dairy and beef farmer. "These two pop stars coming in and buying up land because it's cheap, and putting the likes of us out of work is not only arrogant, but will destroy the local economy."
This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
Display Options Threshold/Breakthrough:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
  • What extremely excellent news! Moz and McCartney teaming up to battle the evil of this horrible industry with it's basis on death. Veggies of the world unite and take over!
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @12:41PM (#156492)
    • Re:yes!!!!!! by freyas_dad (Score:1) Sunday April 03 2005, @03:15PM
      • Re:yes!!!!!! by ProtestSinger (Score:1) Sunday April 03 2005, @05:22PM
  • Please don't team up and do a concert together.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @12:51PM (#156494)
  • No way is this true.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @12:51PM (#156495)
  • Re: "It's hard enough to make a living from farming these days, and I've seen several of my neighbouring farmers even attempt suicide," said one south Wales dairy and beef farmer."

So, is that quote supposed to confirm that homosapiens are superior and more intelligent than those of the animal kingdom?! I think not! These suicidal farmers need to be more resourceful and come up with another way to earn a living than slaughtering animals and claiming they'd starve otherwise.

Sorry, but my sympathies are with the farm animals since they cannot speak up for themselves. Hats off to Morrissey and McCartney!
    J. Razor -- Sunday April 03 2005, @12:51PM (#156496)
    (User #724 Info)
    I'm Alone
  • It says April Fools.

I despair of the IQ of Morrissey fans sometimes. Do you all have to let the side down by being so thick?
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @01:07PM (#156498)
  • When Linda was alive they saved many turkeys at Christmas.

Sadly, he then decided to marry one.

RIP Linda.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @01:52PM (#156506)
  • Go on Morrissey and stick to your guns! Well Done. Who wants to eat meat anyway these days? A poor, distressed and tortured twitching animal waiting to be killed - it's a horrible and cruel sight.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @01:57PM (#156507)
  • If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @02:35PM (#156512)
  • It is a pity this was a joke. I thought it was going to be a poetic moment as I was listening to Meat is Murder when I logged on and seen it.

A venture like this would have cost a fortune (which Macca has got, but Moz does not have enough dosh for)! How long do cows live naturally? Anyone known one live out it natural years? Probably not. We can always wait and see how long Jonathon Ross’s sheep live for.

I had a nice thought of all those honest farmers falling on their electronic bolts.
    Meatfreecotter -- Sunday April 03 2005, @02:46PM (#156514)
    (User #10088 Info)
  • OK, it's an April Fool's joke, but at least they could have made it funny. It's not silly, or exaggerated, or anything. (Though maybe they played it straight just to piss off Moz fans...)

Also, it's not Pitchfork.
    Anonymous -- Sunday April 03 2005, @03:38PM (#156528)
    • fixed source by davidt (Score:1) Sunday April 03 2005, @05:11PM
  • So we are to feel sorry for those farmers,who put animals through living hell so they can make money...Seen it first hand enough,married Farmers daughter,..Do anything to piss those spoilt ,money grabbing,Farmers off....Cut out the meat son sure,your feel better soon..Still i agreee Huntuingdon sciences evil..Keeping us sicker ,so only reason is £££££££$$$$$$$
    chance -- Sunday April 03 2005, @09:40PM (#156542)
    (User #12593 Info)
  • Must be a joke ,wind up,whatever that first link to this thread..Nobodys that idiotic..??....Carry on Moza and Co,meat is cruel,unecessary and an inefficent way of using the grain...
    chance -- Sunday April 03 2005, @09:51PM (#156543)
    (User #12593 Info)
  • This is a sane and safe idea. It might be a hardship on some of the *real* "producing" farms, but, so what. The animals will be taken care of, and the farms will prosper on their own right. Good move, Mozzer :)
    Kali1962 -- Sunday April 03 2005, @10:55PM (#156548)
    (User #13865 Info)
  • Are you serious??
    I can not believe this is true....i have no problems with it, infact how wonderful to finally hear some good news.....but seriously?????
    Are you joking?
    prudence never paid -- Monday April 04 2005, @12:42AM (#156554)
    (User #13589 Info)
    "The youth of the present day are quite monstrous. They have absolutly no respect for dyed hair." - Oscar Wilde
  • a few centuries back that sent farming communities packing to the cities
    thirsty fists <[email protected]> -- Monday April 04 2005, @06:14AM (#156575)
    (User #149 Info)
    "world's ugliest boy"
  • milk is murder, k?
    damien dixon -- Monday April 04 2005, @08:33AM (#156586)
    (User #9996 Info)
  • two-thirds of the worlds natural resources have been spent and we're all gonna die anyways!!! Save the cows, save the chickens, it's a nice idea, but who will save the Canadians when the U.S invades us for our fresh water?!!

I declare martial law for all creatures, both two and four-legged and even those with no-legs. It's everyone for themselves!!!

Maple.
    Anonymous -- Monday April 04 2005, @09:33AM (#156602)
  • There have only been two bands I really considered great. The Smiths and The Beatles. Those animals don't know how lucky they are!!
    texasbloke -- Monday April 04 2005, @11:45AM (#156622)
    (User #8721 Info)
  • Well they're both from two hugely successful, now "legendary" North England pop bands and both went on to have hefty solo careers. The main difference is that Moz's solo career started on a high, and despite one or two unfortunate lows, is still pretty much a career to be envied by any solo star including the four ex-Beatles (OK two now). Whereas McCartney has done nothing but utter dross since The Beatles disbanded and insists on inflicting his tired old records on us frequently. With his laughable consistent "Just For Men" brown'd up hair (not a hint of grey, yeah right) and gormless "o" mouth expression I do hope he doesn't drag Moz's talent right down into the gutter where his currently resides.

Whatever next, a double A sided Moz single for Christmas 2005? "Get Off The Stage/Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" (Live at the Didsbury Town Hall) from Attack records, out mid-December?
    Anonymous -- Monday April 04 2005, @01:02PM (#156627)

[ home | terms of service ]